PDA

View Full Version : Best a-arms and suspension set up?

313racing
02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
hey guys i'm not in no big hurry to rush in and get a-arms and suspension yet but i was wondering what do you run and how you like it or what u would prefer me to run with my 06 450ER

i realy like the houser long travel a-arms
and also axis suspension but its pretty pricey

i will be buying the setup sometimein the fall for the 2007 season so no hurry but thanx for all suggestions and help

pics are very welcomed also

thanx everyone

black450r
02-08-2006, 06:26 AM
by then thier might some new kind that is going to be the best so just wait and see

mills_racing
02-08-2006, 07:22 AM
im running a ars-fx LT frontend with axis shocks and its really nice. XC set-up also .

400exMO
02-08-2006, 08:03 AM
The best setup will vary on acouple different things. LIke what kind of riding you do and how much you want to spend. If you want to go cheap get the stockers redone and new aarms. If you want expensive good xc setup ars-fx/axis is best.

Hondacrf15
02-08-2006, 08:20 AM
what u would prefer me to run with my 06 450ER

What does it mater what we would prefer you to run? Run what you would prefer... it's your bike!!!!

jkirk141
02-08-2006, 11:56 AM
gibson/axis

macsolocam
02-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by jkirk141
gibson/axis

2MuchChi450R
02-08-2006, 12:14 PM
It really depends on riding style. XC seems to be the ARS-FX setup. MX seems to be any of the few; Walsh, Gibson, Roll Design, Houser :D with Elka's or Axis, any of the big guys front LT and the rear is about the same with the exception of GT Thunder's rear. My opinion is find someone with a quad willing to let you sit on/ride their bike and see how it works for you, you have the time :D

313racing
02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
thanx for the pics and opinions on what setup i should do
i forgot to mention im racing MX srry i forgot to give that info

one more question is what happens if i get long travel houser
a-arms can they redo my shocks to be longer to fit the long travel???
i really don't know all that much about shocks
just a little bit of know how

thanx

fasterz
02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
JRD JRD JRD JRD JRD JRD JRD JRD JRD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/fasterz/450r003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/fasterz/450r002.jpg

JRD on my other bike too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/fasterz/submitpic2.jpg

400exMO
02-09-2006, 06:46 AM
If you have standard travel shocks now, you'll have to sell them and get long travel shocks for the longtravel aarms.

313racing
02-09-2006, 07:05 PM
yep that was what i was thinking i wander how much they good sell for???

02-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Elka/Roll or Elka/Houser

best setup out there :macho

313racing
02-09-2006, 07:29 PM
yurik i seen u reply b4 u kno ur sh*t

i think its gonna be elka and houser

02-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 313racing
yurik i seen u reply b4 u kno ur sh*t

i think its gonna be elka and houser

do you plan on doing your rear end also?

if you need help setting up your front end you can ask me any questions you need, for an even better setup you can run the elka/houser combo and order it through G T Thunder and have him help you set them up with the correct valving and springs, laz knows his stuff up there at G T Thunder, i just got my shocks back from him, and all i can say is WOW!!!!

the setup i planned on doing was elka houser, but i found no need to go with LT in the front for XC racing, i figured the std would be good enough, so i am running the stock a-arms with the elka shocks with G T Thunder revalve/spring then the rear end with the G T link and valving/spring/shortend shock body

if you have any questions feel free to contact me and i can help you out

02-09-2006, 07:57 PM
also, when purchasing a-arms, be sure to buy a-arms that the company has worked with the shock maker in development, such as elka/roll or elka/houser, also check on what bearings they use in their a-arms, the best bearings IMO are the stock honda bearings, a buddy of mine had custom built a-arms for XC racing with the honda bearings used, basically all you want is something durable that you wont be replacing all the time

313racing
02-09-2006, 09:06 PM
yeah i hear you there about the bearings and all
but i know when i had my 250ex all the bearings started going but the beat down put on it was not meant so these 450er bearings should be the best since honda is the company putting the most money into its parts and its newer race model great info yurik thanx once again!!!:D

02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 313racing
yeah i hear you there about the bearings and all
but i know when i had my 250ex all the bearings started going but the beat down put on it was not meant so these 450er bearings should be the best since honda is the company putting the most money into its parts and its newer race model great info yurik thanx once again!!!:D

yep np, pm me anytime :macho

pudamac12
02-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
do you plan on doing your rear end also?

if you need help setting up your front end you can ask me any questions you need, for an even better setup you can run the elka/houser combo and order it through G T Thunder and have him help you set them up with the correct valving and springs, laz knows his stuff up there at G T Thunder, i just got my shocks back from him, and all i can say is WOW!!!!

the setup i planned on doing was elka houser, but i found no need to go with LT in the front for XC racing, i figured the std would be good enough, so i am running the stock a-arms with the elka shocks with G T Thunder revalve/spring then the rear end with the G T link and valving/spring/shortend shock body

if you have any questions feel free to contact me and i can help you out

no offense but if elka is so good then why do you have to have them revalved and resprung. For the money they charge you shouldn't have to do anything to them. When I got my motowoz shocks all I had to do was bolt them on and change a few clicks on the compression. Just my 2 cents.

02-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by pudamac12
no offense but if elka is so good then why do you have to have them revalved and resprung. For the money they charge you shouldn't have to do anything to them. When I got my motowoz shocks all I had to do was bolt them on and change a few clicks on the compression. Just my 2 cents.

i didnt HAVE to have anything revalved or resprung, the reason i did so was because i decided to change setups with a different linkage and a single spring in the rear, aswell as a stiffer no preload spring in the front, this better suites my riding style and the terrain i ride on, could i have got this direct from elka, yes

you can get shocks setup however you like from anyone, i raced with my elkas for a year, i decided to go ahead and get them setup how i want them being they need serviced anyway

also, Laz from G T Thunder, Noleen, or many other of the pro level suspension builders wouldn't be in business if you couldn't make axis/pep/elka or any other shocks better, look at G T Thunder's site, and go to service, and look at the list, you will see names such as eichner, ballance, natalie, cecco, baker, and many other of the top pro racers getting their shocks done by Laz, if you ever get your shocks redone, you will understand why ;)

pudamac12
02-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah i have heard good things about laz. No doubt he is one of the best in the business. What I meant by this is I have talked to numerous people with elka's who order them how they want them and have to send them back to elka or another shop because they just don't work the way they want them. A lot of people buy them ( like i did before) just because the name and I honestly don't think that they are as good as some make them out to be.

02-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah i have heard good things about laz. No doubt he is one of the best in the business. What I meant by this is I have talked to numerous people with elka's who order them how they want them and have to send them back to elka or another shop because they just don't work the way they want them. A lot of people buy them ( like i did before) just because the name and I honestly don't think that they are as good as some make them out to be.

I won't lie, this has happened before, but not with just Elka, many shock companies have had shocks shipped back because they were not setup correctly or the person did not like the setup they had, but you also need to remember that Elka will help you set the shocks up exactly how you want and get them back to you quickly if you didnt like them to start with, where as with axis/pep or many others, you will be waiting much longer

also as Elkas go, the LT setups seem to be far supeior to the std. travel setups, in terms of valving and staging the springs, which will allow the shock to work much better then the normal setup, just as they say, you make what the customer wants, what the customer wants is LT setups, they do TONS of R&D work on the LT shocks, and as of yet have not had a complaint

pudamac12
02-09-2006, 09:51 PM
yeah i understand your point. Ok another question. I see you run the maxxis six hours of america. Are you planning on running the wisconsin six hours. I ran last year and it was awesome. However if we don't get more turnout this year then they are not going to hold it again. It is an awesome track and a great time. Just curious if you could bring a few teams up here to help out the cause man.

rookiex
02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
houser-axis NICE love it.

TM426
02-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Check out Sant Derisi's new set up. It looks pretty kick ***.
http://www.derisiracing.com/atv/atvindex.htm

02-10-2006, 04:00 PM
yeah i understand your point. Ok another question. I see you run the maxxis six hours of america. Are you planning on running the wisconsin six hours. I ran last year and it was awesome. However if we don't get more turnout this year then they are not going to hold it again. It is an awesome track and a great time. Just curious if you could bring a few teams up here to help out the cause man.

i wish, but it is too far of a drive for us being we have just opened a business, i will be at the MO 6 hour, 5 or 6 GNCC races and try to make all of the MHSC series and maybe 1 or 2 Iowa, then just my local races around here, id love to go, its just too far for us :(

02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TM426
Check out Sant Derisi's new set up. It looks pretty kick ***.
http://www.derisiracing.com/atv/atvindex.htm

Derisi is a good guy, havent heard bad things about any of his setups, i still believe that the elite in suspension is still Laz at G T Thunder, i dont think you really can get any better the he is, derisi is halarious though, great guy, i couldnt see him screwing anyone over, may be another option for you, but like i said Laz at G T Thunder is my top pick when it comes to suspension components, just as Elka is my top pick when it comes to shocks

PurePerformance
02-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Cody, if your looking for quick return time, Elka is the answer, but alot of people say that they never seem to valve them right.

I would go with Teixeira/Axis. Alot of people have never heard of Teixeira I know, but their products are second to none. Walsh-like quality and design. Their front end kits start at 2,145 which is with the Axis shocks.

Heres a 250r set up, they dont update their site much but Im sure they make them for the 450r.

http://www.teixeiratech.com/images/blue%20front%20end.JPG

motoboy66
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
also, when purchasing a-arms, be sure to buy a-arms that the company has worked with the shock maker in development, such as elka/roll or elka/houser, also check on what bearings they use in their a-arms, the best bearings IMO are the stock honda bearings, a buddy of mine had custom built a-arms for XC racing with the honda bearings used, basically all you want is something durable that you wont be replacing all the time

Yurik,
I think you know Nick Sutton, he got 3rd in B-vet this year. Well these are what he uses http://www.smcfabrication.com/ They use the stock Honda bearings, and have a lifetime warrenty, even if you race. They can build anything you want, and the prices are very good. When I get my new 450r some time, i will be doing this setup, as it is the best for the money, imo. Give them a call and see what they can do for you. See you at the MHSC GNCC and maybe an Iowa.

Todd

prepracing
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Depends on what type riding/racing your gonna do. All the top name companies out there are making competitive front-ends nowadays. But MX guys tend to run stuff that has heim joint ends and open ball joints like gibson and walsh seem to be popular which are fine but the joints wear out faster due to being open to all the grit and grime...mud/dirt..etc. But XC guys are going more towards frontends with sealed ball joints and a-arm bushings like houser and ARS-FX seem to be the 2 most popular right now

laeger2fiddyr
02-10-2006, 08:17 PM
im going to be running pep/walsh on my 06trx450r.

02-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by motoboy66
Yurik,
I think you know Nick Sutton, he got 3rd in B-vet this year. Well these are what he uses http://www.smcfabrication.com/ They use the stock Honda bearings, and have a lifetime warrenty, even if you race. They can build anything you want, and the prices are very good. When I get my new 450r some time, i will be doing this setup, as it is the best for the money, imo. Give them a call and see what they can do for you. See you at the MHSC GNCC and maybe an Iowa.

Todd

ya he was the 1 i was talking about, he told me his front end was amazing, ya ill probably talk to ya soon, i havent heard from nick for awhile but have from randy, i hope he is still racing this year

400exrider0004
02-11-2006, 11:03 AM
elka/roll design....best setup out there

pudamac12
02-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by motoboy66
Yurik,

Todd

I have seen these smc arms in action. We rode on them in the wisconsin six hours of america and they held up awesome. Plus you can't beat the price.

motoboy66
02-11-2006, 06:36 PM
ya he was the 1 i was talking about, he told me his front end was amazing, ya ill probably talk to ya soon, i havent heard from nick for awhile but have from randy, i hope he is still racing this year

Nick and Randy are going to be at Flat River tomorrow. We wil all be racing this year. I have riden his 450, and I could not beleive how well it handeled in the woods. I agree the price and warrenty can not be beat. I am not trying to sell these, but just helping out. Nick doesnt have this new fangled internet thing, o he is not on here. See you all at the races.

Todd

czrider263
02-11-2006, 07:19 PM
gibson

dj400ex
02-11-2006, 07:20 PM
i would have to say ARSFX / AXIS. look at all the top riders in the GNCC it is mostly ARSFX..

DJJ450r
02-11-2006, 07:36 PM
ars-fx:macho

02-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by dj400ex
i would have to say ARSFX / AXIS. look at all the top riders in the GNCC it is mostly ARSFX..

like you know, just cuz the pros have it, doesnt mean its the best, many people fall into that trap, but in the same note, william yokley was #2 last season and rode on Elka/Roll, where as the whole mickey dunlap team runs Elka shocks aswell, Ballance is rumored to run Ohlins this season, does it make them better then any of the other shocks, no, just adding money to the table ;)

DJJ450r
02-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Your sponsored by Elka and GT Thunder Yurik. You pretty much have to say that elka and GTT is the shyt. As for me, i would never run anything but axis, and if i bought LT i wouldnt get anything but ars-fx. I have never seen anything wrong with the ars-fx setup like i have seen on the new houser slicast. and with roll design you dont get the ground clearance like you do on the others. I know someone who has standard travel axis who rode someone who had houser slicast with elka elites and he said his axis were better.

02-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by DJJ450r
Your sponsored by Elka and GT Thunder Yurik. You pretty much have to say that elka and GTT is the shyt. As for me, i would never run anything but axis, and if i bought LT i wouldnt get anything but ars-fx. I have never seen anything wrong with the ars-fx setup like i have seen on the new houser slicast. and with roll design you dont get the ground clearance like you do on the others. I know someone who has standard travel axis who rode someone who had houser slicast with elka elites and he said his axis were better.

if they werent good companies i was interested in doing business with them then i wouldnt accept their sponsorship, GT Thunder and Elka happen to be the best in the business which is y i have chose them above the others to support me, you hate elka which is y u talk bad on them but have never ridden a quality correctly valved elka for your weight, i have rode almost everything besides PEP/Ohlins setups, i want to help people when purchasing their items because i know how i was before i bought my setup, research is key, and i like to spread my research to others to help them in what they buy, ask many engineers, they can tell you that Elka is a better shock, following what the pros run isnt the best way to go about it, and dont deny it, cuz you even said they were good because the pros run them :blah:

DJJ450r
02-11-2006, 08:37 PM
not just gncc pros run them... Dave hicks and Duahne johnson both run ars-fx and are both #1. Do you think they get them for free? probably dont even get a discount. :blah:

02-11-2006, 08:45 PM
not just gncc pros run them... Dave hicks and Duahne johnson both run ars-fx and are both #1. Do you think they get them for free? probably dont even get a discount. :blah:

lol...:p

I don't think duane and dave would run the stickers for axis and ars-fx on their quads being they are both top level racers, and being duane is in the GNCC pro-am, if they werent getting something for it

also we are falling back to the same situation i just mentioned, just because the pro's run it doesn't mean its the best, just as many riders race with Elka, if not more, as do with Axis, even a select few with PEP and Ohlins

can you tell me why axis shocks are better then elkas? can you tell me why ars-fx a-arms are the best a-arms to use? can you tell me what components axis uses in their shocks to make them better then elkas? can you tell me why their valving is superior to elkas valving? and last but not least, can you tell me why ars-fx and axis shocks are the best combo out there when compaired to other a-arm and shock combos?

i'll wait for your answer devon...;) :blah:

pudamac12
02-12-2006, 09:15 AM
lol...:p

I don't think duane and dave would run the stickers for axis and ars-fx on their quads being they are both top level racers, and being duane is in the GNCC pro-am, if they werent getting something for it

also we are falling back to the same situation i just mentioned, just because the pro's run it doesn't mean its the best, just as many riders race with Elka, if not more, as do with Axis, even a select few with PEP and Ohlins

can you tell me why axis shocks are better then elkas? can you tell me why ars-fx a-arms are the best a-arms to use? can you tell me what components axis uses in their shocks to make them better then elkas? can you tell me why their valving is superior to elkas valving? and last but not least, can you tell me why ars-fx and axis shocks are the best combo out there when compaired to other a-arm and shock combos?

i'll wait for your answer devon...;) :blah:

yurik can you answer the same questions of why you like the products that you prefer. Such as why is elka the best shock out there and why there the best.

02-12-2006, 09:37 AM
yurik can you answer the same questions of why you like the products that you prefer. Such as why is elka the best shock out there and why there the best.

sure can...

**can you tell me why elka shocks are better then axis?

High-quality triple-seal heads, A checkball that isolates the compression adjustment from the rebound adjustment, Needle type adjusters for precise incremental adjustment, High-quality seals, o-rings and wearbands to reduce friction and heating for longer shock life, A blow-off valve to prevent internal damage to the shock from peak forces, High-performance microcellular progressive bottom-out bumpers for a smoother feeling - custom-made for Elka Suspension, Spherical bearings at both end to isolate the shock absorber from torsional force, Crossovers specific to the vehicle and type of riding, A CNC-machined, aeronautical grade anodized billet aluminium parts, High-volume reservoirs with floating piston

Those are some of the things listed on Elka's site, IMO the reason Elka shocks are better then axis is because of the COUNTLESS hours of R&D work they put it with riders all around the world, where as axis has not been able to do this extensive testing, elka also uses a push rod system when testing their suspension systems so that they can be sure they are using the perfect angle, spring rates, valving, and all correct internal components to suite that riders needs

**can you tell me why roll design a-arms are the best a-arms to use?

They work together with Elka in development and R&D of their a-arms so that when a final product is produced it will be the perfect setup and have all correct angles to work in perfectly with an elka shock

**can you tell me what components elka uses in their shocks to make them better then axis?

see #1

**can you tell me why their valving is superior to axis valving?

see #1 (R&D work and push rod testing)

**can you tell me why roll design and elka shocks are the best combo out there when compaired to other a-arm and shock combos?

They have been working together now for a very long time, while axis and ars-fx are still in developmental stages, this is why ars-fx has changed their design once or twice, they are trying to find the best way to make the shock and a-arm work together, which is what roll design and elka have achieved, they have made the perfect combo of a-arms and shocks that work together to get the best shock angle throughout the travel of the shock, along with allowing the correct rate of progression and movement in the a-arm to match the shock's valving and spring rate, they also run 4 stages of springs in their long travel setup to allow for more gradual and forgiving suspension, allowing for a softer ride

if you have any other questions feel free to ask :macho

02-12-2006, 09:44 AM
and also if you were not aware, elka has the pro link in the rear, which offers the ride quality and shock angle that is needed for a perfect rear end, axis has yet to produce a linkage like this that i know of

also elka was the first of the two to create a high/low speed dampening system, and added to that abilitly with the new track system, making them move steps ahead of axis

they are also at the track and provide great customer service through phone or e-mail, along with a faster service and return rate then axis and will work with you to create the perfect setup for you

Kilabanshee
02-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Laeger/Axis :devil:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/Kilabanshee/shocks074.jpg

KEVIN
02-12-2006, 10:56 AM
pic

02-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Elka, old pic of me riding at my house, my bike is almost together ready for new pics, ill load them up when its all rdy :macho

313racing
02-13-2006, 06:19 PM
i'm loveing the pics very nice combos can't wait 2 see your's yurik

hy250r
02-13-2006, 06:33 PM
YURIk- are you running stock a-arms?

ronnie
02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
new a arms and axis

DJJ450r
02-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Ronnie did you finally get them a-arms dialed in:devil: I'll have to ride it htis weekend see how them new axis work:blah: I got my rear shock off and ready to send to Rick

ronnie
02-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Ronnie did you finally get them a-arms dialed in:devil: I'll have to ride it htis weekend see how them new axis work:blah: I got my rear shock off and ready to send to Rick i will come over tommorow

02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by hy250r
YURIk- are you running stock a-arms?

ya, didnt feel the need for aftermarkets