PDA

View Full Version : noise

hondamxerd
02-07-2006, 08:39 PM
is it possible to have a bent valve and the engine still run good, it doesnt smoke, and it is a fresh rebuild, but when idling it has a valve noise, as it warms up it gets worse, rode it for about 2 hrs and run great all day, it has a hotcam stg 2 in it, couldnt find any clearence settings so i set it to stock settings, rode it and rechecked, what do think

REF426
02-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Make sure the slack in the cam chain is to the rear of the engine . I had same problem after cam was installed. Also check cam chain guides.

bwamos
02-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by hondamxerd
is it possible to have a bent valve and the engine still run good, it doesnt smoke, and it is a fresh rebuild, but when idling it has a valve noise, as it warms up it gets worse, rode it for about 2 hrs and run great all day, it has a hotcam stg 2 in it, couldnt find any clearence settings so i set it to stock settings, rode it and rechecked, what do think

Agressive cams will always make a ticking noise. You're valves stay open further, have a longer duration at full open and have to slam shut a LOT faster so the piston doesn't hit it.

PS - I know I'm being over generic here.. but an agressive cam will almost always make more valvetrain noise than a mild stock cam.