PDA

View Full Version : Any Saab Owners???

TREDZ71
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey all...I'm looking at picking up a 1999 9-3 Saab...2.3, 4 cylinder, turbo. 106k miles, 4 doors, SE, hatchback, full NEW stainless steel exhaust, new tires, absolutely MINT interior, no rust, no dents, no scratches....this thing looks NEW. heated seats, power everything....

any ideas? I've never owned a Saab and was wondering if there are any "typical" problems with these things?

02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
my stepmom used to own a saab and she got to 76,000 miles before she quit and sold it. the thing was nice but nonstop maintenance and crap. A BIG HEADACHE

JLanphear
02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
My Buddy has a 1999 9-5.

He bought it a few years ago with 40k on it, and now he has around 100k.

It's a pretty decent car...Good ride, good tranny, nice interior, whatever else....not a powerhouse, but it will get out of it's own way.

However he had a lot of problems with it. The first year he owned it, it was constantly in the shop for something. So many things I can't even remember them now.

Not huge mechanical parts like the engine, turbo, or tranny, but a lot of little parts that cost a FORTUNE.

For example it has temperature settings for each side of the car (dual climate controls I guess, but not really). Well the drivers side heater stopped working, and would only blow ice cold air. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't WINTER here in New England. He brought it to the dealer and they told him best case scenario it would be $800 to fix, and worst case would be $2500. I can' even remember the exact amount now, but it was somewhere in between.

He probably dumped around $3500 into the car in maintenance the first year he had it. However over the past year or so it hasn't been too bad...he had an issue with his airbag light coming on or something, and it cost him about $400 to fix, but other than that I can't think of anything recent.

I dunno...it's hard to say with any used car.

On another note, I don't ever see myself buying a car with over 100k on it.

ballz2thewall
02-08-2006, 11:09 AM
My uncle has the same car your looking at and he loves it, he said he would put it up against anything that's how much faith he has in it (mechanical wise)!

02-08-2006, 12:53 PM
SAAB= Something An ********* Bought

rollie
02-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Saabs are all my mom likes to drive

we have 2 of them, the 95 is basically falling apart(good reason 3 different drivers in the family between my mom and my two sisters) and the 2002 the heating and air conditioning went($1700) then the head gasket ($2000) and various other little items but damn do they add up my dad comes home from it getting serivices almost evertime and it needs atleast $500 worth of work:eek: but they handle like a dream