PDA

View Full Version : Different octanes question?

300exazzkikr
07-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Ok, here it goes. How come when you have a higher octane gas it's supposed to make the motor run cooler? Thanks.

07-13-2002, 11:27 PM
First and most important is that it will stop any detonation or pre ignition and that will stop a lot of the heat and also the expensive rebuild.

Secondly the higher octane fuel will burn slower and the lead in most race fuels will help protect the valves.

nakomis0
07-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Thats only if you have the compression to burn it. If you run it with stock compression it won't burn correctly, and could leave you with a hole in your piston.

Ex'r Marlin
07-14-2002, 12:14 AM
I could be wrong, but if I remember right, I think the higher the octane, the quicker or faster it burns? And because it burns quicker rather than longer, it may allow the engine to run cooler, right?:confused:

07-14-2002, 10:53 AM
A higher comp engine can cause the lower octane fuel to explode before the plug fires just due to the extra comp. Sort of like how a diesel works, basicly the compression in the engine causes the fuel to burn/explode.

If you were to use reg gas in a high comp engine it would be ugly, even worse it its in a diesel. Has any else had the pleasure of hearing a diesel that the owner or attendant put gas in the tank by mistake, then you know what an extreme case of the wrong octane is like.

Nakismo thats a good point in the other extreme, but most of the 102-105 oct will take a while to do that.

nakomis0
07-14-2002, 11:28 AM
It would be hard for me to count the number of times I ran Torco 110 race fuel in my stock bike:devil :macho

btw.. I don't think I felt any power gain, just ran it cause I liek to feel like a racer! ya VvvvrrRRRoooommm:blah

07-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Smells good too :cool:

airheadedduner
07-15-2002, 12:22 AM
The only power gain you will see from race gas is in its cooling. Heat robs power. High octane fuel burns slower , more controlled, and more evenly over the piston. You will only see the power gain in high compression engines cause high octane fuel is harder to ignite making it useless to run is a stock motor. They should bottle up that smell and sell it as a colone, I would buy it.

BigThumper33
07-15-2002, 07:29 AM
The only good thing about running a high octane fuel in a stock engine would be that it burns so much cleaner. Less carbon deposits in your engine, and it also cleans up your valves running it every once in a while. I run B32 118 octane in my quad and bike.