PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on big bores

parts eeter
02-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Tore my engine apart yesterday to rebuild due to oil consumption.In my opinion it ran fine but needed rings.I had bought the quad this way and the guy gave me a new top end for it when I bought it.He said it needed it.It is the wiseco 11:1 kit .120 over or 88mm kit.The bore is stock and I am completely bummin that I am gonna bore the stock cyl to the max on the first rebuild,as a plan a long relationship with this quad and want to spend time working on making it better and not chasing problems that I installed.Is it stupid to use a 11:1 plus .120 piston that is free or should I spend the $$ and get a plus .040 10:1 or 11:1 piston this time around.I am very conservative when it comes to stuff like this because I have many other obligations that my $$ goes to,so when I spend I like to do it right the first time.I am even going to buy a oem honda xr 400 cam because I am worried about using the stage 2 cam I was given also.So will a 10:1 or 11:1 piston kit at .040 over and a xr 400 stock cam be worth doing or am I flippin for no reason??Please help!!If a 11:1 plus .040 will be super reliable and not wear out my crank or lower rod bearing I will use that.i await your opinions and thank all who do.:chinese:

sixer3
02-07-2006, 11:53 PM
in the long-run i would go with the 040 piston less than 12:1, je makes good ones, did the cam come with a package?(what brand is it) otherwise, i would say buy a hotcam (just drop ins) otherwise an xr400 cam is also nice (possibly would require a cam chain upgrade though(might as well do it while your in there)?... i didnt go straight up to the top on my bore because i too plan on having my bike awhile good luck

400EX QUADER
02-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Get a je 87mm 10:8:1 416 piston. Also use the hotcam stage 2 and buy a stock crf 450 cam chain. it should still be very reliable. the crf cam chain should cost about $40 shipped from c&d racing which is a sponsor on here. call the guy in my sig (chris) for that 416 piston/gaskets. He will hook ya up at the best price!