PDA

View Full Version : Arm Pump/Finger Cramp

Ridin' Jesse
02-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Ok so I know everyone hates both of these things, but why does it happen? Or does anyone know anything to prefent it, like eating certain things or w/e. Because usually I have to pry my hands off of my bars every time I ride, and I hate it.

m_townsgreatest
02-07-2006, 02:21 PM
I dont know what its like. I have never had this and I've rode for hours on end before. I mean I've woke up at 9, left to ride at 10 and came home at 9 that night. But I've heard that eating things with potassium(sp?) helps.

honduh440
02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
start buying bananas and eat as much as u can shoot for 2 or 3 a day. your guaranteed to notice a difference in stamina in 1 week

standardryder
02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
i think its soemthing to do with the blood flow in your arms. eat a banana or take some tylenol (not pm) before you go out. i think it thins out the blood so it will flow better.

450RGNCC
02-07-2006, 02:36 PM
the pain associated with arm cramp is b/c there isnt enough air getting to your muscles, but i dont know how to fix it other than working out more and doing cardio

jb500ex
02-07-2006, 03:54 PM
with certain blood types bananas will make you get arm pump quicker.

mrnate400ex
02-07-2006, 04:01 PM
with certain blood types bananas will make you get arm pump quicker.

interesting.....please elaborate. what is the science on it. so does that mean that some vitamins won't work as well with different blood types?? wierd!!!!

ST87
02-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Ive heard drinkin straight pickle juice helps cramps? :ermm: may just be an old wise tale though

trx400exxracer
02-07-2006, 04:59 PM
tylenol

it makes your blood thinner and helps it flow better but try not to get cut up

400Rider022
02-07-2006, 05:00 PM
RED BULL:macho

harescrambles
02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
The muscles in your forearms swell and restrict the blood flow to your hands. that is arm pump

Some thinks that help with the arm pump are,
drink lots of water, take aspirin 2 hours before a race, and eating bananas.

bests thing for arm pump( like the guy who stated he rides a lot without any arm pump) is practice, practise, practice:macho

balls2da-wall
02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
tylenol

it makes your blood thinner and helps it flow better but try not to get cut up

Asprin is the only thing that will thin blood. Not recommended either. If you happened to get a flesh wound while racing your blood wouldnt be able to clot on its own.

Its call blood compartment syndrome (or something like that) Basically your forearms fill with blood and cramps up.

Someone posted that he rode all day without a cramp? So have I until I started racing XC, and within the first 20minutes I start pumping up.

Only think ive found to help (when racing) is to work out a little with high reps and low weight. Drink lots of fluids. Use a hand spring thingy to get my forearms streched out before i race and remember to read my bar pad on my handle bars that says: "STAY LOOSE" you wouldnt believe how much keeping a light grip on the bars helps...i used to have a death grip on my bars each race. Not anymore! I thought I would never get rid of arm pump (which i havent), but I have reducded to to where its not inhibating my racing and just an annoyance.

400exrules
02-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
and remember to read my bar pad on my handle bars that says: "STAY LOOSE" you wouldnt believe how much keeping a light grip on the bars helps...i used to have a death grip on my bars each race. Not anymore! I thought I would never get rid of arm pump (which i havent), but I have reducded to to where its not inhibating my racing and just an annoyance.

ya lmfao, i hold on way too hard, i gotta learn to keep a looser grip

Honda400exrox
02-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Asprin is the only thing that will thin blood. Not recommended either. If you happened to get a flesh wound while racing your blood wouldnt be able to clot on its own.

Its call blood compartment syndrome (or something like that) Basically your forearms fill with blood and cramps up.

Someone posted that he rode all day without a cramp? So have I until I started racing XC, and within the first 20minutes I start pumping up.

Only think ive found to help (when racing) is to work out a little with high reps and low weight. Drink lots of fluids. Use a hand spring thingy to get my forearms streched out before i race and remember to read my bar pad on my handle bars that says: "STAY LOOSE" you wouldnt believe how much keeping a light grip on the bars helps...i used to have a death grip on my bars each race. Not anymore! I thought I would never get rid of arm pump (which i havent), but I have reducded to to where its not inhibating my racing and just an annoyance.

Isn't that also called hemophelia?

Stock 400 rider
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Just ride more and you should be fine.

Ridin' Jesse
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider
Just ride more and you should be fine.

Riding doesn't stop it as much as I want. End of the season last year I was still getting it all the time if I was riding for long periods like at least 6+ hours.

zeppelin
02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
i agree with all of the guys that said to use aprin, i use to get the finger cramp stuff so bad that i thought i some how broke my fingers while riding, it used to take me a good 10 minutes just to slide my hand off of the handle bars because they were cramped soo bad, not to mention taking the gloves offf of my hands. but after i pop 1 or 2 asprin before i go ride i dont have any problem

Scro
02-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Same thing happened to me. I realized the reason it was happening was because I was so tensed up. I just learned to relax my grip and helped alot.

duke416ex
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I need to learn to grip less also, my whole hand cramps up from holding on so hard. I think to it might be the vibration in the bars.

02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Breathing is very important and affects arm pump and fatigue

jb500ex
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by mrnate400ex
interesting.....please elaborate. what is the science on it. so does that mean that some vitamins won't work as well with different blood types?? wierd!!!!

their are some things that will help certain blood types and the same thing will hurt the performance of a person with another blood type. For example some people should stay away from red meat and chicken while other people should stay away from fish and certain breads. Someone who is serious about training should get their blood type then get in contact with someone that can get you on the proper diet. The list of what one should eat and stay from is long for each blood type.

harescrambles
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ACEOUTDOOR
Breathing is very important and affects arm pump and fatigue

Good point, i had forgotten that one .
As weird as it sounds, some people for get to breathe and hold there breath and that will cause arm pump quickly.