PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate or No Skid Plate?

Yellow01'400EX
02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm buying a stock 01' 400 EX and going to the Land Between the Lakes in a few weeks, also I will go to the Badlands frequently this summer. Mostly trail riding and some MX course for fun. Is a skid plate needed? Is the risk that a small rock will bounce up and crack the engine case? How about the swing arm, whats at risk without it?

Thanks in advance for patience with the newbie questions.

rooster_20
02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
I believe the 01 400ex stock has a metal swingarm plate. Mine had one on it when i bought it. If it doesnt have one or has a plastic one it would be a good investment. You protect the one you love lol

94F450SD
02-07-2006, 09:55 AM
i replaced my plastic swing arm skid with an aluminum one.the stocker had a metal piece on it under the rotor that got bent and hit the rotor on thefirst ride.i also have lower arm skids on thefront only cuz where i ride hada ton or rocks from small tohuge.it would suck to get stuck on a rock with the lower arms.im also gonna get a skid for the chassis under the engine.no chances of arock grabbing an open area on the bikesandstopping me or breaking something.

underpowered
02-07-2006, 10:06 AM
IMO skidplates are well worth teh money. on the swingarm it keeps you sprocket and rotor from being bent by rocks and any other trail hazzard. on the engine, i figure it is worth spending teh money on a skid rather have to replace teh engine cases. there is a small chance your engine may be damaged with out one, but it is worht it to me just for that extra bit of security. i always run the on the frame and teh swingarm nomatter where i ride at.

vpofthedrc
02-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I broke my stock skid on my 05 after a few rides. The bummer was, it decided to shatter on the first day of a riding trip in WV. On the 2nd day I caught a rock pretty good in a creek and bent my brake rotor, so I had to ride the following two days with front brakes only.

I invested a little more in a stainless swingarm skid.

02-07-2006, 05:31 PM
for trails, get at least a .250" thick swinger...one of them is cheaper than repeatedly buying a $100 rotor and another $100 or so chain and sprocket set. for a "belly pan", any thinkness will do, but it is also a "must have", just a little bit less of a "must"

ride_red666
02-07-2006, 07:10 PM
how much about does a full skid set cost for decent ones???

450Rchaser
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Definitely get a skip plate. At Land b/w the lakes if you take the trail that goes around the lake you are sure to break a tooth off your sprocket. Were supposed to be up there Feb. 11th

curious george
02-10-2006, 05:54 PM
i have full D.G. baja armor and i just ordered full laser cut D.G. armor both are worth every penny knowing that you can land from a jump on a rock or skate over one with out getting off and looking to see an "uht oh" lol