PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY..... & Fact Finding Report

tanman11
02-07-2006, 07:03 AM
I posted this on another Suzuki R450 web site, and they seemd to like it, so since I'm a memeber here I thought I would give it a shout out.

Hey Members,
I Just wanted to let everyone know I picked up mine late Friday night. A white one. Spent all day Saturday working on it. I'm going to give you guys my findings report, not a ride report. I will be heaping praise, and giving criticism, when warranted. By the way, I'm not going to get into a debate with any 14 year olds out there. These are just my opinions. I've been racing, and riding Suzukis for the past 30 years. Doesn't make me an expert, just old, LOL. I'm 47. I'll be going Clint Eastwood on you guys. The good, the bad, and the ugly. My opening statement will shock most members, but read the report, it's all good! I brought it over to my friends house on Saturday, he has a 70 hp Raptor, two 450R's an 04, and 06, various other quads, a Rhino, and a 40 foot WW trailer. I trust his judgment. I already own a 05 Z400. We all took it for a road spin around a half mile loop at his house. My first impression was "Did I make a mistake?" This wasn't much faster, or stronger than my Z with a full Ti Yoshi system on it. He rode it, and said "Maybe we need to regear", his son rode it and laughed and said "My R is faster". I was disappointed to say the least. Hang on guys it will get better!!
The Good - First off, I didn't get screwed by the dealer on price. I didn't get the great price the Oklahoma members are getting 6,500, and I didn't pay what other people are paying, anywhere from 9,000 to 11,000 from what I've read. Mine was 7,900 OTD here in southern AZ. First off just sitting on it feels good. The tank/seat junction is basically the same width as the Z. Not as skinny as the YZF, but if you like the Z, you'll like this. The seat is firmer, and thicker, but very comfy. Good stuff! The controls were all spot on, and had no problems with starting with the FI. As soon as you sit on the quad, it squats down nice and low, more good stuff. Shifting was great, like each gear was notch on the shift cogs. Not bad notchy, very good notchy, you felt the gears drop into place. I've heard that the suspension is stiff, but I go 6'2", and 225, so it should suit me well. You guys will be interested to know that Z parts will fit. I started to cannibalize my Z just for measurements, and realized that. I have a Yoshi front bumper on my Z, fit right on the Quadracer. So did my IMS kicker pegs, although they do tilt forward ever so slightly, sort of the attack position. I like it. My Yoshi fat grab bar did not fit. The stock bar has the rear fender bracketry, and light assembly welded to it. It's staying for now. First thing to go was the light, easy one screw off, then another for the bracket. OK guys here comes the good, no great part. Wanted to remove the "pea shooter". Tells you how in the manual 5-37 for cleaning it, but it's easy. What shocked me was the spark arrestor. When I pulled it out, the unit was about 6 inches long wire mesh, with an inch long solid metal cap around the end of it. Can you imagine? Picture the exhaust flowing through the pipe only to stop dead at that spot, seep around go through the mesh, then out the little opening. I put it back together, and took another spin. All I can say was OMG. Just taking that out woke up this animal like you couldn't believe. My friend took it out and said forget the regear, did you just get another quad? His son that laughed at me rode it, came back in and wouldn't talk to me, enough said! I figure for some type of legalities Suzuki had to stuff the exhaust. I'm telling everyone this should be your first mod. I'm not saying ride without a spark arrestor, I'm already trying to incorporate a screen, just try this. I can't even begin to imagine what a full Yoshi system will do to this motor.
The Bad - I know you guys will hate me, but you "JUST" can't take off the heel guards. Removing the heel guards, and bracketry takes away all support. The fenders are too flimsy, and will crack within minutes of riding, IMO. I spent roughly 2 to 3 hours cutting down, and then reshaping and smoothing with a dremel what was left of the brackets. I will spray them with some Krylon, LOL. It's the only thing you can do, until someone like IMS gets the pegs out, and will have the fender brackets with it, like they did with the Z. I'm still not all that crazy about gearing either. It's geared tall, too tall for the sand. The only problem is the bolt pattern is not like the Z, it appears to be Honda - like. I will tell more after next weekend. that's what I'll be doing next.
The Ugly - What in the world was Suzuki thinking when they were welding these quads. I mean it looks like "backyard welding 101" LOL. In fact I've seen better welding in backyards! Other members can back me up but it's a crying shame to see the welds all over the heel guard bracketry, and the pipe. There are weld strips that run off the muffler onto the pipe that look like a tiger paw raked a piece of meat. LOL. I know that Suzuki is rushing these out to meet demand, but we as customers are paying good money for a quality product. We deserve better, IMO.
I will try to post some "after" pictures next weekend when I get my brackets, and paddles on. I am a dune rider only (Glamis) so I don't have ant thoughts about track usage. I will be going to Glamis for the entire President's week. I will then have a full ride report. My final thoughts are this, this quad's the real deal, no matter what you have to pay for it. I couldn't be happier, and I think Suzuki hit a home run. When aftermarket parts become available, it will only make this quad better. Sorry for such a long post. Hope you enjoyed what I thought was an indepth look at the R450 from my thoughts. As the saying goes "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it"

Scott

Ride1Rob
02-07-2006, 07:59 AM
That's a great post w/ some very good info. Seems like Suzuki did their homework on this bike. Congrats to all present and future R450 riders ;)

370kingR
02-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Great stuff Scott, thanks for sharing. Now if they will ever make it to the damn east coast so i can have my white one that im first in line for :macho

No real hurry but the suspense is killing me. I just hate being a rider living on the east coast some times.....alot of times actually

MXRACER86
02-07-2006, 05:13 PM
When is somebody gonna ride this thing on a motocross track???? Stop going to sand dunes and get on the track!!!

02-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
When is somebody gonna ride this thing on a motocross track???? Stop going to sand dunes and get on the track!!!

I hear that!! MX RULZ!!

oldsandman
02-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 370kingR
Great stuff Scott, thanks for sharing. Now if they will ever make it to the damn east coast so i can have my white one that im first in line for :macho

No real hurry but the suspense is killing me. I just hate being a rider living on the east coast some times.....alot of times actually

Gary,
I thought you guys back east were getting them first! My dealer is supposed to have one next week. I wanted you to have some seat time before i have to decide on one!

DezSled
02-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Very good report. I didn't notice any poor welds anywhere tho, except for the foot guard frames (still had carbon marks from the tig welder looked like hand done, pipe looked like it was machine welded). Great honest assessment.

DezSled
02-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Very good report. I didn't notice any poor welds anywhere tho, except for the foot guard frames (still had carbon marks from the tig welder). Great honest assessment.

E.POWERSPORTS
02-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks tanman. I'm sure you have already seen it, but yosh is selling something they call a cherry bomb (Coaxial Relay Bypass Module -CRBM) for the LTR. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but the LTR has two built in fuel maps. Suzuki can't advertise this but installing this "Cherry bomb" with maximize the fuel injection mapping. With this mod you can open the air box, open your exhaust as you have, and run a little race gas and get a 7 horse peak gain they claim. Additional power will come with their's or others aftermarket exhaust also. The cherry bomb retails for $39.95 and they seem to have a few left- I just ordered five. I would be careful running these mods without accessing this fuel map. My Suzuki rep says says the fuel injection will not compensate Hope this helps.

02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Just got my cherry bomb delivered today. Now if I just had an LTR to put it on.

NaiLBoMB64
02-08-2006, 03:12 PM
dam good post

tanman11
02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
E. POWERSPORTS,

Yeah, I know about the Cherry Bomb. Order it. I tried to order the entire Yoshimura EMS system but it still isn't available. Around the end of the month, or early March. Here's new info though, the Yoshimura pipe will be available this week, but only in SS. Next month for the titanium, that's what I'm waiting for. Also they told me they did away with the carbon fiber mufflers, they had problems with them. Too bad, I liked the way they looked.

LTZ400ApK
02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ACEOUTDOOR

Make that 2 Of us :grr:

Sandgod4
02-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Dyno numbers to back up above statement..

http://www.lt-***********.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=256&st=0

Well the link isn't permitted.. More atvconnection censoring I guess.. So heres my bros statement..

Okay guy's just got back from KBR's Dyno. Keep in mind, this is at roughly 4300 ft. elevation, 45 degree air temp., and my motor only has 30 minutes of run time. KBR'S Dyno results are approximately 2 HP less than an identical one at sea level.

Here we go:

1st run-Bone Stock right off the floor
HP-31.77 TQ-22.90

2nd run ( Pea shooter removed, No lid )
HP-39.66 TQ-27.36

3rd run ( Pea shooter removed, air box lid on, Cherry Bomb installed )
HP-40.00 TQ-25.96

4th run ( Pea shooter removed, air box lid removed, Cherry Bomb installed )
HP-40.31 TQ-28.14

Just removing the lid and spark arrestor gained roughly 8 HP & 4.5 TQ.
The Cherry Bomb installed gained roughly 3/4 HP & .80 on the TQ. with the lid removed. The Cherry bomb also increased the RPM by 500. I would say the Cherry Bomb is well worth the $40.

Removing the lid with the Cherry bomb installed gained .31 HP & just over 2 lbs. TQ. than having the lid installed.

popo
02-09-2006, 06:28 AM
MX RULZ!!

Does not!

Jonas
02-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Did it run lean on the dyno when you removed the lid and pipe insert????

SuzukiZ's Wife
02-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Picked up yesterday, sitting in our garage.
White, Beautiful, Awesome.

yamaguy
02-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Sandgod4
Dyno numbers to back up above statement..

http://www.lt-***********.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=256&st=0

Well the link isn't permitted.. More atvconnection censoring I guess.. So heres my bros statement..

Okay guy's just got back from KBR's Dyno. Keep in mind, this is at roughly 4300 ft. elevation, 45 degree air temp., and my motor only has 30 minutes of run time. KBR'S Dyno results are approximately 2 HP less than an identical one at sea level.

Here we go:

1st run-Bone Stock right off the floor
HP-31.77 TQ-22.90

2nd run ( Pea shooter removed, No lid )
HP-39.66 TQ-27.36

3rd run ( Pea shooter removed, air box lid on, Cherry Bomb installed )
HP-40.00 TQ-25.96

4th run ( Pea shooter removed, air box lid removed, Cherry Bomb installed )
HP-40.31 TQ-28.14

Just removing the lid and spark arrestor gained roughly 8 HP & 4.5 TQ.
The Cherry Bomb installed gained roughly 3/4 HP & .80 on the TQ. with the lid removed. The Cherry bomb also increased the RPM by 500. I would say the Cherry Bomb is well worth the $40.

Removing the lid with the Cherry bomb installed gained .31 HP & just over 2 lbs. TQ. than having the lid installed.

Correct me if I am wrong here (I am most likely am) Doesn't the stock Yami and Honda come in around 40 HP stock and 45-46 with Pipes on them?? Everyone talks about 50HP being the magic number to shoot for to get really good power.
These numbers just seem to low to be competetive which I am sure it will be. Can anyone post Dyno Curves for all three models?

370kingR
02-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by oldsandman
Gary,
I thought you guys back east were getting them first! My dealer is supposed to have one next week. I wanted you to have some seat time before i have to decide on one!

opps, missed your post Mr. Sandman. Well, we are the last people on earth it seems to get these things in. By the time i get it in it will be outdated :rolleyes:

All i know is im hittin 50 hp one way or another damn it. I just sold a 60+ horsepowered bike. If i get on this 30 something hp bike its going to feel like im riding a turtle :D

BSTURDIVANT
02-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Ours hasn't seen the dyno yet but seat of the pants says the dyno numbers are low compared to some 480R's and is close to a 690 14 to 1 raptor! Power is smooth without a real big "hit"!
This is our first Suzuki after having 4 450r's and a 500cc YFZ.
Definately has smooth power and seems to have plenty with 18" rear tires. Wouldn't run with the 500YFZ but definately run with HRC camed and full piped R!

Problems- Too wide for our XC racing and has a quick throttle that may give problems in woops! A-arms are set forward and really have a lot of "feedback" to the bars! Bad need of stabilizer!

Sandgod4
02-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
Did it run lean on the dyno when you removed the lid and pipe insert????

Yes

DaleJrFan
02-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Good post. I am looking at getting one but it has to be both a good MX bike and Dune machine.

I am looking forward to your feedback.

Ridin' Jesse
02-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by yamaguy
Correct me if I am wrong here (I am most likely am) Doesn't the stock Yami and Honda come in around 40 HP stock and 45-46 with Pipes on them?? Everyone talks about 50HP being the magic number to shoot for to get really good power.
These numbers just seem to low to be competetive which I am sure it will be. Can anyone post Dyno Curves for all three models?

No...stock Honda's and Yamaha's are around 34 or so I think. Piped around 39-40.

02-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Ours hasn't seen the dyno yet but seat of the pants says the dyno numbers are low compared to some 480R's and is close to a 690 14 to 1 raptor! Power is smooth without a real big "hit"!
This is our first Suzuki after having 4 450r's and a 500cc YFZ.
Definately has smooth power and seems to have plenty with 18" rear tires. Wouldn't run with the 500YFZ but definately run with HRC camed and full piped R!

Problems- Too wide for our XC racing and has a quick throttle that may give problems in woops! A-arms are set forward and really have a lot of "feedback" to the bars! Bad need of stabilizer!

brent,
are you riding a suzuki this year?

BSTURDIVANT
02-13-2006, 12:38 PM
It is on it's way to GTThunder as I speak. I am going to ride it when i get it back, but I will have to wait and see if it is going to FL. or not. I will have pappy post some pics after I meet up with him for a photo shoot.

135boom
02-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Ridin' Jesse
No...stock Honda's and Yamaha's are around 34 or so I think. Piped around 39-40.

Depends on the tires, to go a little deaper into the subject. I think they are about 34 with stock knobbies, and I believe that is what the ltr was using too, could be wrong.
True rear wheel horse power on the yfz and trx STOCK with dyno tires (slicks) run at about 39-40 horse.
With pipe, "proper" intake, jetting and cammod the yfz has NO problem hitting 48 horse or more with slicks.
I would assume the ltr is going to be close to the same?

02-14-2006, 09:51 AM
either way, it's a far cry from all the hype!!
the zuk isn't going to be any better than the other two.

jmoney45
02-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by force
either way, it's a far cry from all the hype!!
the zuk isn't going to be any better than the other two.

Why do people think that the motor makes the bike? All the 450's are competitive in the engine department. Look at the specs. The Zuk offers a couple things the others don't. One is fuel injection which is supposedly great for throttle response and ease of use (no rejetting). The Cannondale I rode had excellent throttle response so this seems like a great upgrade.

The biggest thing I see is the handling of it STOCK. It is wide and low from the factory which sets it apart from the other 450's. Plus the suspension looks like it can handle some serious abuse.

As long as it can hang with the others in the motor department, it would be a logical choice for racers since it should easily outhandle them stock. Suzuki makes a bold leap forward and people still b!tch about it. Sad.

JackA450r
02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Brent,

You better stick to that 06 we are building you up at the garage.:D I mean I would like to see you ride the Suzuki in Local Series but the R definately for Nationals. Im really impressed with this 450r and the new Suzuki couldnt tell you yet. I just want you to win a championship this year. I got my money on you and your brother so dont let me lose it.:devil: :macho

Jack Armstrong
East Coast Off-Road Series

02-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Just look to the state series amateur racing this summer after a fair number of LTR's are delivered and see who is up on the podium. That will be the truth on how good MX bike the Quadracer will be. Take a YFZ or 450R and with the $1000 you save buy some Booger +2 arms and ext. axle, put a pipe on all 3, and I bet the LTR is the better MX machine every time hands down, although the trx450r is a high quality machine.

440exnacsracer
02-14-2006, 02:05 PM
its hard to argue with the hondas 36 rwhp from the factory, but gust is going to be a force to be wreckend with this year on the ltr

Rdogg450
02-15-2006, 09:27 PM

What is a cherry bomb????

jeffw3048
02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Rdogg450
What is a cherry bomb????

Module that selects the "race fuel map" in the ECU..... I also make and sell them online... called the Z-Speed.

Plugs in under the right front fender, takes about 20 seconds if you are slow.

http://jsdproducts.com/zspeed.jpg

DaleJrFan
02-22-2006, 07:21 PM
How would this "cherry bomb" work with a cdi? Is there a huge change in the rev limit or does this just at more fuel some how?

jeffw3048
02-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
How would this "cherry bomb" work with a cdi? Is there a huge change in the rev limit or does this just at more fuel some how?

900 rpm increase (up to around 10k rpm), additional fuel in the map as well.

buddah
02-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by jmoney45
Why do people think that the motor makes the bike? All the 450's are competitive in the engine department. Look at the specs. The Zuk offers a couple things the others don't. One is fuel injection which is supposedly great for throttle response and ease of use (no rejetting). The Cannondale I rode had excellent throttle response so this seems like a great upgrade.

The biggest thing I see is the handling of it STOCK. It is wide and low from the factory which sets it apart from the other 450's. Plus the suspension looks like it can handle some serious abuse.

As long as it can hang with the others in the motor department, it would be a logical choice for racers since it should easily outhandle them stock. Suzuki makes a bold leap forward and people still b!tch about it. Sad.
Well said............ Exactly what I think as well

BSTURDIVANT
02-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Podiums will rotate from one manufacturer to another this year because all will be equal and finishes will be determined by rider ability and pure luck!

blholtz
02-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Got a question about the race gas with the pea shooter and air box lid removed and the cherry bomb removed.

Are we talking about race gas like VP U4 oxygenaated fuel or just high octane race fuel.

If your talking about just high octane fuel then I would think that airplane fuel would do the job and I would thing cheaper to.

blholtz
02-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Meant with the cherry bomb installed.

mcattack
04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Good review. Scott you will have to take the S/A out of the Yoshi also as I found the exact same thing in that pipe and it woke it up again as much as from the stock exaust to the full system!

bwamos
04-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by blholtz
Got a question about the race gas with the pea shooter and air box lid removed and the cherry bomb removed.

Are we talking about race gas like VP U4 oxygenaated fuel or just high octane race fuel.

If your talking about just high octane fuel then I would think that airplane fuel would do the job and I would thing cheaper to.

It would just be high octane fuel. Aviation fuel would be just fine.

To run oxygenated fuel you'd need a power commander to add more fuel, because with O2 mixed in with the fuel you'd be running too lean on the CB fuel map.