PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys help me with my steering?

PsychoDave
07-13-2002, 06:43 PM
After I changed my a-arms, i cant seem to get my quad to go straight with the bars pointing straight. my bars are turned a little to the left, but the quad goes straight. It took forever to get the toe correct too. Now i just want the bars to line up with the quad going straight.....i m a bit frustrated!!! Are there any simple ideas?

Glamis400ex
07-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Hey Psycho,

I recently installed some a arms too. Your gonna have to fiddle with the tie-rods to correct it. When I replaced my a arms, I didn't mess with the tie-rod portion that connected to the steering stem., just the spindle side I messed with.

Loosen the tie-rod ends at your spindle first, take off the nut. And remove from the spindle, let them hang free.Then the steering stem side, just the adjusting nut, so the rod turns, not the nut that attaches to the steering stem. Straighten your bars where they need to be then, either turn the rod itself or the tie rod end to drop into the spindle hole. Remember to try and have the same amount of threads exposed at both ends. You don't want one end all the way in while the other end is almost completely exposed, make sense? Make sure the leading edge, or the front of the tire is 1/4 inch toe-in.

With a little tinkering, you'll get it, don't get fusterated. It took me like 2 hours to get it where I was happy. But, I'm very picky about it being just right.

E-mail me if you have any questions. I'll try and help you out as much as I can.

Glamis

PsychoDave
07-13-2002, 07:16 PM
thanks for the info....i thought i had it straight at first but today i had to ride on the road and i noticed that the bars were off a little bit.......man i dont know why but i hate this feeling...!

MEL
07-14-2002, 10:57 AM
what are you guys running for toe in? does the toe in change when the a arms move up and down or does it stay the same? with my quad on the work stand i have about 1 1/2 inches of toe in and with the quad on the ground i have 1/2 inch. any help is apprecated.

CBRSLIDER
07-14-2002, 11:03 AM
MEL,

I just discussed this with Jeff at the Quadshop. Him and I were talking about me hitting trees and bending the tie rods. He suggested 1" toe in. That way when striking an object it glances off that object(tree).

Ray

MEL
07-14-2002, 11:04 AM
is that with the quad on the ground or with the wheels lifted off the ground?

CBRSLIDER
07-14-2002, 11:08 AM
I believe on the ground.

Ray

harebounder
07-15-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey Jeff can you confirm this for us on the toe in. Is that up on a stand or sitting on the ground.

07-15-2002, 09:44 AM
If your rear wheels are wider thatn your front you can take a piece of string around the back tires of your quad. Make sure it is at the same hight on each tire. Tie both ends of the sting to something in front of your quad. Pull the string toward the center of the quad until it just touches the front side walls of your rear tires. from there secure the string in this position and measure from the string to the front part of your front tires. When this number is the same on each side your tires are in line with you rear tires.

Teufel
07-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Do it setting on the ground. I measure from a spot on the inside of the tire to the frame. You have to do this at two spots, the front and back(this is on the inside). Measure the same points on the other tire and frame. I run 1/4" toe in. I run XC......
Also this method will not work if the frame is tweaked.
If you use this method and want say 1/4 toe you will set each side in 1/8 front to back.

PsychoDave
07-15-2002, 03:34 PM
I did it mostly by eye. then i rode the quad to see how it turned etc. After, I measured from the inside of the tie rod and both sides were spot on.....thats why i got upset with the bars cocked a little to the left (very slightly but enought to piss me off). I dont want to mess up the toe i have now.

MEL
07-15-2002, 06:57 PM
one person says 1 inch and one says 1/4 inch. thats a big difference. anyone else have any opinions?

CBRSLIDER
07-16-2002, 07:12 PM
I pm'd Jeff about this subject. He stated that the measurement is on the ground and the 1 inch is for xc racing only. He recommended 1/2 inch for mx.

Ray