PDA

View Full Version : What To Get??

WheelieMan4
02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
What would you guys reccomend for me? A 416, 426, or 440? I had decided the 416 because everyone says its reliable and a good power gain, but my friend thinks thats a waste of money and i should just get the 440 kit and get even more power and then be done with it. What would u guys reccomend, i just do some fast trail riding, a little racing at friends track. I also dont wanna lose any low end grunt where i wont be able to do wheelies easily because thats what me and my friend do all the time for fun. Thanks alot, Josh.

Sorry for the kind of long post...

Honda#4
02-06-2006, 08:29 PM
go to a 426 first the u can always bore it.

lghickman21
02-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Go 426. If you go 440 you definately won't be "done with it". you'll have to do it again in about 6-8 months if you ride very often and hard.

KY Woods Rider
02-07-2006, 07:28 AM
I'd go with a 416 because it's a nice power increase but will still rev out good on the top-end. It's also the most reliable of the 3 choices, and in the event you do have problems, you can overbore to a 426 to repair the damage.

A 440 offers a lot of torque in the low-end to mid-range and they make a good motor for most woods riding, but they don't rev as well as the smaller bores. The major downfall to a 440 is that you'll end up spending a lot of money to do it correctly. For a 440 to remain reliable for long-term use, you've got to install a heavy-duty stud kit, cam chain and rod. And despite all that, they can still blow head gaskets from time to time.

I don't see that a 426 offers much advantage over a 416, and yet it doesn't have the torque of a 440. It seems stuck in the middle with no real advantage, and if you blow it, you've got to resleeve to fix the damage.

If you want to keep enough low-end to do wheelies easily, don't go with a top-end racing cam. Stick with a low-end to midrange cam made for woods/trail riding and you'll keep a nice low to mid pull.

Crazy Diamond
02-07-2006, 02:07 PM
That sounds the best to me and the way I'm going!

WheelieMan4
02-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
If you want to keep enough low-end to do wheelies easily, don't go with a top-end racing cam. Stick with a low-end to midrange cam made for woods/trail riding and you'll keep a nice low to mid pull.

so like a hotcam stage 1? c&d reccomended a stage 2....so would you like to explain the two? thanks