PDA

View Full Version : shock tuning question

900rracer
02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Just wondering, stupid question, but which adjustment is the compression and which adjustment is the rebound on a sotck 450R shock? I probably should know this, but I don't. If I am bottoming out the front a little, how should I adjust each. Thanks for any help.

02-06-2006, 06:50 PM
compression is the screw in the ressie, rebound is the other screw lower down on the shock

where are you bottoming out, if its in bumps i would go with rebound, if its off of a jump, i would do compression, usually most people just use the compression knob, you will get the hang of it after adjusting it

as you know the rebound is how fast the shock comes back to full travel, the compression is how much weight it takes to press the bike down, the higher the comp, the more the weight, so its up to you on which one you need to adjust

yamablaster24
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
i would bump up the compression.

desratt
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
a little correction

by turning the compression up it does not take more weight to compress the shock. that is the spring. by turning up the compression it simply slows the speed at which it would compress.

so for landing big airs you hit and it takes longer to compress. and won't bottom out as easy.

02-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by desratt
a little correction

by turning the compression up it does not take more weight to compress the shock. that is the spring. by turning up the compression it simply slows the speed at which it would compress.

so for landing big airs you hit and it takes longer to compress. and won't bottom out as easy.

ah sorry about that :macho

900rracer
02-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys. I will turn the compression in or to the "H" as labeled. I guess I will set the rebound somewhere in the middle and go from there. I had my stock shocks re sprung and revalved by C&D with their triple rate kit front and dual rate rear. They did a great job, but I still need to make the final adjustments.