PDA

View Full Version : 300ex cylinder

kc8pnd
02-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Took a short ride today and then started washing it, noticed that both HEAD BOLTS WHERE LOOSE! What is this guy thinking you might be thinking. I assure you we torqued all 4 down to 29 ft-lbs along with the 2 allen type bolts also. Now they are finger tight? The only explanation I have is that the wrench is junk, or my buddy don't know how to use one? Blown out gaskets was my main worry and sure enough there was signs of oil around the base of the cylinder. It "was" a cometic gasket. I retighten all the head bolts and started it up. No major squirting leaks or anything, but on the left side you can wipe the seam with your finger and after a minute or 2 you can see a small dab of oil start to form.

I guess my number 1 question is can I un bolt the head & cylinder and raise them up just enough to apply some RTV silicone? Would this silicone be safe here? I would much rather just replace the gasket but I would need to remove the piston, and hone the cylinder. I still don't know how 29 ft-lbs just works its self loose??
Thanks
Mike

2muchquad
02-06-2006, 08:34 PM
putting rtv on your headgasket is just wasting time.i would retorque them and just keep an eye on them from time to time.they could have came loose if the head wasnt torque in the proper sequence but i havent had a problem:) keep an eye on it you'll be fine,no need to tear it down to replace a perfectly good gasket.;) its a 300ex not a "no mechanical issues" commericial plane:)

kc8pnd
02-06-2006, 09:47 PM
The oil is leak (very little if any!) is at the very bottom gasket. I think by the time it leaks enough oil to cause any major lack of oil problems it will be time for an oil change. What has be worried is water getting in :ermm: i might change it if it gets to bad :( thanks for the reply.