PDA

View Full Version : This can't be right.

Guy400
02-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm using Symantec Ghost 8.2 to back up my hard drive onto an external USB hard drive. The external is a 100gb Maxtor drive and my PC is a 2.8ghz PIV. It's been running 2h17min so far and I've only copied 4gb and I've got 15 to go. It's estimating it'll take slightly over 11 hours total. It's been a few years but I could copy a 4gb drive to CD in less than 1/2 hour. Why in the world is it taking so long now? The only thing I can guess is it's something with this new external drive.

coolex
02-06-2006, 04:50 PM
:confused:

ZeroLogic
02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Probaly because its from a 2.0 usb port connection and it can only handle so much data transfer in the wire?

I took an educated guess.:)

Guy400
02-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Probaly because its from a 2.0 usb port connection and it can only handle so much data transfer in the wire?

I took an educated guess.:) It seems even slower than that. I copied my entire My Documents folder straight from my desktop to this drive and it several gigs in just a second or two. I'm thinking it's so because #1) USB and #2) the conversion from Windows files to Ghost files before the actual copy is made to the external drive.

sly400ex
02-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Maybe try copying it directly to another internal drive and see what happens. Is the primary drive going bad?

punker69q
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Your usb ports are problably installed as usb 1.1 ports, which are 11 mbps with about 50% avalaible for download. This will result in a upload speed of 550 kb/s or about 2g / hour....

Now if they were usb 2.0 you wouldn't have any problems as they are 480 mbps and I tested them to average over 10 megs/s, which is the limit of ide drives.

punker69q
02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Just another thing, maybe you should plug your drive in the back of your computer instead of the front, sometimes front plugs are usb 1.1 and the back ones usb 2.0...

Also, i'm having the exact same problem, my computer use usb 2.0 ports, but all of a sudden they stopped working and can't get them to work in anything else than usb 1.1 ??? Even reinstalling drivers manually don't work at all, so i'm thinking there is some bug with the lattest windows updates for sp2, but can't confirm that.

Butters
02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah that doesn't sound right. yeah usb isn't that fast, but that is insanely gay slow. you could check to see if it is installed as 1.1, but still. of course you are trying to back up quite a bit.

punker69q
02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Butters
yeah that doesn't sound right. yeah usb isn't that fast, but that is insanely gay slow. you could check to see if it is installed as 1.1, but still. of course you are trying to back up quite a bit.

usb 2.0 is very fast

Butters
02-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by punker69q
usb 2.0 is very fast

compared to what? 1.1?

MOFO
02-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Butters
compared to what? 1.1?

yes :rolleyes:

With USB 2.0 and using Norton Ghost 8.2, I can back up 6 gigs in about 6 minutes going to my external USB drive. I think I backed up my music, around 80 gigs and it took less than an hour if I remember right.

Guy, check your USB ports and make sure they are 2.0. This is how I load our images and create backups @ work. Something is very wrong with your setup and like someone else said, you must be using 1.1. If I load an image on a G5/G5T and it takes about 1.5 hours, on the Opteva it literally only takes 3-4 minutes loading the same exact image. G5=1.1 Opteva=2.0

Do what I do, if you are backing up a hard drive from a system with USB 1.1, pull it out and back it up in a cage with USB 2.0.

Guy400
02-07-2006, 04:06 AM
This new motherboard that Dell gave me a month or so ago when it was replaced under warranty has 8 1.1 ports:rolleyes: I guess I just assumed it was 2.0 since the PC is less than 2 years old.

Guy400
02-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Scratch that. I did no troubleshooting last night because I didn't want to disturb the copying process and I did very little this morning before leaving for work. Now that I had a chance to look at it I've verified that all 8 ports are USB 2.0 on my PC and my external drive is 2.0 compliant. I've discovered that the slowdown has something to do with Ghost. When I try to copy anything using it the whole process is just slow. If I transfer data doing a simple copy and paste to the drive it copies quickly so the problem isn't hardware. I copied 5.82gb by pasting to the drive in 4 minutes. The crazy part is we use this at work and it's flawless so I don't know what the hold up is on my home PC.

MOFO
02-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Scratch that. I did no troubleshooting last night because I didn't want to disturb the copying process and I did very little this morning before leaving for work. Now that I had a chance to look at it I've verified that all 8 ports are USB 2.0 on my PC and my external drive is 2.0 compliant. I've discovered that the slowdown has something to do with Ghost. When I try to copy anything using it the whole process is just slow. If I transfer data doing a simple copy and paste to the drive it copies quickly so the problem isn't hardware. I copied 5.82gb by pasting to the drive in 4 minutes. The crazy part is we use this at work and it's flawless so I don't know what the hold up is on my home PC.

Norton will prompt you for different compression levels... None, Fast or High - if I remember right. What are you picking?

Very strange issue... I use this just about everyday.

Guy400
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I was never asked about a compression level. I booted off the CD and selected Advanced hard drive maintenance (the other options are copy image to CD, restore image from CD or check image). From there I go to Local > Disk > To Disk and then you simply select your source drive and your destination drive and the copy process starts. I've used this same process millions of times to copy from one partition to another but never to another device completely (aside from the normal way of burning directly to a CD on the ATMs).

Guy400
02-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Here's another thing that's goofy. I've used Ghost before and the backup file is always something like GHO001.gho or something along those lines. If you go look at my external drive it's just a complete image of my internal hard drive complete with "My Documents" etc.

MOFO
02-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I was never asked about a compression level. I booted off the CD and selected Advanced hard drive maintenance (the other options are copy image to CD, restore image from CD or check image). From there I go to Local > Disk > To Disk and then you simply select your source drive and your destination drive and the copy process starts. I've used this same process millions of times to copy from one partition to another but never to another device completely (aside from the normal way of burning directly to a CD on the ATMs).

Thats your problem. You need to do this...

Local > Disk > To Image (To create a backup image)
-Then choose your destination drive and compression levels

Local > Disk > From Image (To restore from an image)

As you already saw, if you pick To Disk, its pretty much the same thing as Xcopy. It does not make an image file, just duplicates one drive to another.

This is why its taking so long.