PDA

View Full Version : Stiff throttle?

screaminta
02-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I have searched a bunch and havent really come to any conclusions yet. The throttle on my R is much too stiff. I know that the 400ex throttle will help, but have heard that it wont open the throttle all the way even after grinding? I have also hear some about the 300ex throttle. Does anybody know about this? Please help I need to have a less stiff throttle it is starting to get to me. thanks.

wilkin250r
02-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Have you made a comparison to other quads? My throttle isn't stiff at all. My girlfriend's 400EX is much more stiff.

I'd make sure nothing is WRONG first, before you start swapping components. If your throttle cable is toast, a 300EX throttle isn't going to help any.

matt250r21
02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
What size carb do you have? Is your cable new and lubed? 400ex and 300ex are the same and you don't want them on your R, trust me. Step one pull your stock R thumb throttle apart and take the small return spring out, you dont need it. You will have to pull it completly apart to get to it. Step two clean, replace any worn out parts, lube and put it back together. Step three new high quality cable, lube it up with wd-40 till it comes out the other end (use cable luber. Step four install cable to carb slide, make sure you rout it so there is no binding, if you have a aftermarket carb this may be where your stiffness is. The spring can be modified to make it softer by cutting or gringing the coils. Hope this helps.

screaminta
02-06-2006, 02:35 PM
i dont think that its the cable or actual throttle because if i disconnect the carb the throttle is really easy to push. Also, I believe that i have an aftermarket carb but not sure it is a keihin, but how would I go about knowing which one it is?also, my buddy has a z400 and his throttle has a good feel to it. thanks

wilkin250r
02-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Most Keihin carbs have the Keihin logo on them somewhere.

Post a close-up picture of it and somebody should be able to tell you what brand it is. We may not know the exact size and style, but we can certainly tell you what brand it is.

CHAR250R
02-06-2006, 07:38 PM
It might not be that the thumb throttle is stiff. It just might not be comfortable for you. I had the same problem. I like the thumb throttle on my 400EX, but the one on my R seemed stiff. I bought an adjustable thumb throttle lever from James Lucky. Problem solved. I can move it anywhere I need to. Very comfortable.

screaminta
02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
im sorry haha I DO have a keihin carb i just dont know what size, and is james lucky JLatv? If so I think I might try their adjustable lever. thanks

CHAR250R
02-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by screaminta
im sorry haha I DO have a keihin carb i just dont know what size, and is james lucky JLatv? If so I think I might try their adjustable lever. thanks

JLatv is James Lucky.