PDA

View Full Version : Ps2 Problem

vtslick19
02-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Aight so heres the issue, my PS2 started locking up on me in the middle of gameplay a couple of days ago, thought that the game I was playing was messed up so I switched games, and then it worked just fine. Put the other game back in and got a "disc read error" message, and now no matter what I put in, whether game, cd, or dvd i get that same message. After trying a cleaning disc the best thing that I can come up with is that its not even spinning the disc to read it. Any suggestions would be great.

02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
do you have dust in it??

02-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by 400exXx
do you have dust in it?? that is what it sounds like

FreekShow
02-06-2006, 11:31 AM
search this problem on google..... there are 4,000,000 other people in the world with the ps2 disk read error.

Titanium
02-06-2006, 12:39 PM
i kno how to fix this problem. it happend to me with 2 ps2's. basically u jus have to re focus the cd rom. i can give u directions on how to do it if u cant find anything on google. so jus pm me of u need help.

wolffie
02-06-2006, 02:24 PM
^^if what he says is true, get the info and fix it! depending on the year of the PS2 you have can make all the difference. i believe if it is before 2004 your SOL! those old PS2's had glitches in them that eventually effed up the disc reader! i had the same problem happen with one of my old PS2's!!

JUSTINcredible
02-06-2006, 05:21 PM
it happend to 2 of our ps2s and we called sony and they told us to send them in and gave us 2 brand new ones. as long as you didnt go in their and try to fix it yourself or dropped it or something

400Rider022
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
alrighty heres what you do.

1. ull need a phillips head screw driver, rubbing alcohol and a cutip
2. pull out little rubber gromet things from bottom of ps2 theres also two plastic ones on the lower part when flipped over
3. take out screws . make sure u mark were the long ones go because if you put them in the wrong hole you will screw through a chip or board and youll b screwed
4. after all screws are out take off bottom piece... you will have to break seal
5. once bottom piece is off you will see a black square with a yellow sticker on it
6. take screws out of that 4 if i remember right...very small
7.once black piece is off you will see the laser
8.put some rubbing alcohol on the cutip and gently rub on laser in a circular motion then wipe off with other side..repeat if necessary
9.reassemble
10. game on:cool:

vtslick19
02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
no luck so far, i have taken the thing apart and still get the same DRE, it will spin the disc for a couple of seconds, then makes a constant grinding/clicking sound and gives me the infamous "Disc Read Error." Also makes the same sound as soon as I push the eject button. Hopefully it will all work out, if not I guess I will stuff it with a couple handfulls of little dynamite firecrackers.

ugottabayou
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by vtslick19
no luck so far, i have taken the thing apart and still get the same DRE, it will spin the disc for a couple of seconds, then makes a constant grinding/clicking sound and gives me the infamous "Disc Read Error." Also makes the same sound as soon as I push the eject button. Hopefully it will all work out, if not I guess I will stuff it with a couple handfulls of little dynamite firecrackers.

Is your PS2 an older model? I had one that was, and it would do that same sound when I would put in a game that had the blue protecting film on the disc. Ones without without the film worked fine. Then me and titanium took mine apart and adjusted a sprocket inside and it moved/refocused the disc reader. After messing with every setting we found one that would work with both types of discs and marked it with a sharpie and kept it on that setting. It has worked fine ever since. Titanium has read up on enough of this stuff hes sure to help you out.

vtslick19
02-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Yea, it is one of the older models. I have tried PS2 games, cd's, and dvd's, but none of them have the blue back to them. I have tried what seems to be every notch with the gear and still nothin. Some other info I was readin about said that maybe I should grease the two rods on the side and that was where the grinding/clicking sound came from. Back to the drawing boards, really appreciate the help fellas'.

400exc
02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
i have one of the first year models and no problems yet. I just clean it every time i use it