PDA

View Full Version : lightest 400ex for mx

trx400ex
07-13-2002, 11:12 AM
What could you do to make a 400ex alot lighter? Like save 50 pounds, dont think about money, but lets leave out the TI frames and axles and meg***** stuff. Come on guys lets make a list..Also the stuff needs to be durable enough for motocross racing.. anything to save weight..

trx400ex
07-13-2002, 11:12 AM
also are carbon fiber beadlocks (front) lighter than stock aluminum rims?

Tommy 17
07-13-2002, 11:27 AM
remove the engine and have ur friends push u around the track:huh

haha no i would get all titanium bolts... then on ur chain u drill out between the links but u need a new chain all the time...

Foxrage
07-13-2002, 12:03 PM
well i saw a guy in dirtwheels was using helium in his tires. thats and idea there.:devil

ATV_MAN
07-13-2002, 01:17 PM
You remove the whole exhaust and then the airbox and all the electrical stuff like battery and headlights. You will have to push start it then. Then remove every little thing like the chain gaurd,tailight, and heel guards. All the little things like that. Then take everything on your quad and grind as much weight as you can off of it. Then you quad shouldnt way as much.

yamaha1470
07-13-2002, 01:56 PM
:huh this thread is goin nowhere fast.

Anyway I dont think u can get 50lbs off unless u get some real expensive major stuff. You will get 20lbs off most from just taking off usless stuff. Try taking off heelkicks, getting lighter, smaller tires, cut the fenders, take off the parking brake, new perch, shave the flywheel,groove the tires, lol its gunna be hard to take off a lot

trx400ex
07-13-2002, 02:26 PM
haha, i kinda figured it would end up this way,,, 400ex21 i already have the engine out of my quad, Really! it is actually completely torn down right now, and im getting ready to spend alot of $$$ redoing the whole thing, it should be pretty nice when im done...i was just wanting to see if i could shed some weight off of it.. someone should make a billet aluminum engine for that sucka...its heavy!! and no im not drilling holes through the head or cylinder:D

trx400ex
07-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by yamaha1470
:huh this thread is goin nowhere fast.

Anyway I dont think u can get 50lbs off unless u get some real expensive major stuff. You will get 20lbs off most from just taking off usless stuff. Try taking off heelkicks, getting lighter, smaller tires, cut the fenders, take off the parking brake, new perch, shave the flywheel,groove the tires, lol its gunna be hard to take off a lot

ive already done/got all that stuff except for the flywheel, but i dont think its worth the couple oz.s to do that i guess the most i could probably get off with out spending a fortune on titanium is 20 pounds or so..which is still alot, maybe i will just exercise more:p

FullBore52
07-13-2002, 03:27 PM
What would be REALLY nice is to drop the electric start and buy the crank and stuff from an XR and have a kick starter...it wouldnt be that tough, but you would need a wheelbarrow of money...

trx400ex
07-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Screamin 'Shee
What would be REALLY nice is to drop the electric start and buy the crank and stuff from an XR and have a kick starter...it wouldnt be that tough, but you would need a wheelbarrow of money...

i always thought that wasnt possible, is it? Wouldnt it be hard to kick over

zzbudzz
07-13-2002, 05:32 PM
well,i only weigh about 155lbs so compared to most guys i'm 25 to 50 pounds lighter!:rolleyes:

FullBore52
07-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex

i always thought that wasnt possible, is it? Wouldnt it be hard to kick over

It would probably be hard to kick over, about like the XR400. Ive been thinking about this a little bit. All you would really need is the right sidecase, crank, and the gear assemblies for the kick starter...and a way to plug up where the electric starter. Or maybe you could buy an XR400 complete bottom end, put your head on it if you have any expensive mods, then, if you could, take the part with the counterbalancer on it and put it in the XR motor...what exactly has the counterbalancer on it?

ATV_MAN
07-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by zzbudzz
well,i only weigh about 155lbs so compared to most guys i'm 25 to 50 pounds lighter!:rolleyes:
I only weigh 135lbs so that makes me 45 to 70 pounds lighter than most guys.

bermbanger400
07-13-2002, 09:08 PM
you can put a alum. subframe on it,and heres a idea i got from my dirt car days have your rear axle gun drilled ,it would remove about 4 pounds i'd say, plus thats rotating weight so it would be like 30 pounds or so.

Nausty
07-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
What could you do to make a 400ex alot lighter? Like save 50 pounds, dont think about money, but lets leave out the TI frames and axles and meg***** stuff. Come on guys lets make a list..Also the stuff needs to be durable enough for motocross racing.. anything to save weight..

take a big ol' morning dump. Kinda like me first think I do when I wake up is take a dump.... and then I get out bed and work out.

lol seriously you wouldn't beleive how much better I am since I started working out and weightlifting I feel like when i crash I break the dirt instead of the dirt breaking me:D and you can throw around the quad with ease.

400exBro
07-14-2002, 12:07 PM
looks like i will have to vist the gym and work out soon, i am sooooooo lazy all i do is ride the quad or sleep on the coach all day, till i got a job:( getting up at 6 am is a drag.......
but i gota get whiped in shape so i am fit for next years racing season.....

Bro

roostin_dale
07-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by NACS400EX
well i saw a guy in dirtwheels was using helium in his tires. thats and idea there.:devil

I agree:devil :devil :devil

Pro400EXC
07-17-2002, 02:06 AM
Well......with a Alum subframe you can get about 3-4lbs lighter.

all Ti Bolts (pricey) can get yah another 4-6lb, take off various

plastic piece's you don't need(like them lil deals over yourt front

brake disks,and the snorkel,and the lil plastic deal under the

linkage) thats about .5lb, then remove the lights and rear

skid,there's another 4lb, run a Pro Circuit T4 slip on and you save

4.5lb,then make it a short,and you save even more (my T4 Shorty

is about 2lb,and a regualr T4 is 4lb, and the stocker ius 8.5lb)trim

da fenders yo and thats another .5lb, parking brake and all

there's about .3lb there, get a Rath Racing 1gal fuel tank(carbon

fiber),and you save at least 4lb, get a Rath Racing Bumper

(wieghts .8lb,wich is like 2lb lighter than stock)so you save

another 1.2 there, also remove the elec starter,and add kick, you

get about 15lb there.

so all and all I saved you about 32LB, but now remember when you add nerfs, beadlocks, and some other small items,ytou gain back about 10lb.

BadA$$440
07-17-2002, 08:21 AM
Does taking that weight off make a faster rider? i dont see how, think it is point less. I mean 50lbs ya, but taking 20lbs aint worth it.

trx400ex
07-17-2002, 09:13 AM
you would mainly notice it while jumping in the air, and yes you can definatly feel the diffrence of 20lbs....

01_300ex
07-17-2002, 10:01 PM
After I took the battery out of my 300 because the battery box broke, I could feel alittle weight difference in the rear end when i would be jumping.

Nausty
07-18-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Bad*****440
Does taking that weight off make a faster rider? i dont see how, think it is point less. I mean 50lbs ya, but taking 20lbs aint worth it. \

well think about 20lb lighter is 20lbs easier to pull during acceration, 20lbs less to try to stop from moving and being able to corner at a higher speed and not only you got better control through the ruff stuff and the whoops. I'm sure you could lose a lot of weight if you did the right stuff. You could also get as light as tires as possible and the same with rims and then every little part you can modify or change makes a differance. We are talking brake disks, cables, levers, plastic, sub frame, swingarm, ti parts, taking off guards, headlights, battery, air box. Aluminum nerfs shouldn't add that much weight. Also the more stuff you can take off means its gonna be simpler to work on and its gonna be lighter so a lot of the parts arn't gonna take as much of a beating.