PDA

View Full Version : Race I had questions as in jet kits, pipes Etc...

tahoe97
09-30-2001, 01:21 AM
Hello everyone
heres the situation.. my friend and i got 400 ex's i got a 2001 yellow close out model :) and he got a red 2002 400ex..

I got a 14tooth and raced him and beat him about 1 1/2 4 wheeler lengths or so.. He then got a K&N, Jet Kit, And a white brothers e-series..

I am runing the 14tooth and got a pro series t-4... Man that pro series lite the bike up!!.. Well we raced tonight and he beat me by almost 2 4 wheeler lengths.. it wasnt like a good spanking or anything..

My question is .. is my bike runing up to par or should i have came closer to beating him??

thanks guys

Leo
09-30-2001, 06:14 AM
what are you running for jetting..?
is your airbox stock, or have you opened it up..?

I have a T4 on my bike (stock airbox) and have no problems running with a E-series..

I'd start by fine tuning the jetting (mine really likes a 162 MJ and a 42 pilot)..

I'd also think about trying the 15 tooth sprocket again, and switching bikes..

Leo

(moving to the motor forum)

tahoe97
09-30-2001, 01:34 PM
All i am runing is stock air box, stock air filter,, stock jet and settings..

all i have is a t-4 slip on and 14 tooth and i was runing with him.. he has a K&N, A K&N jet kit and a e-series..

That is what i was wondering if i was doing pretty good to stay with him since i have stock air filter and stock jet..

Also a sub question.. Could i get a K&N without having to touch the jet settings..

Guy400
09-30-2001, 01:39 PM
Pardon my ignorance but you say you went to a 14 tooth, I'm assuming stock is 15? If this is the case you're limiting top end in all gears. You're probably getting a little jump on him on the bottom but then he motor's past you.

Also, it's all in the tune. If his bike is dialed in a little better than yours that could mean the difference.

09-30-2001, 01:44 PM
Like Leo was saying, let some more air in and put in a bigger main and pilot/slow jet and you should walk away from him next time. The T-4 will perform better when you do the above, but yes you are doing pretty good now but can do the mods listed cheap and easy and do better.
John

09-30-2001, 02:12 PM
i woluld jet it now cause adding that pipe might be leaning it out if i'm correct....if you add a free flowing exhaust and add air box mods you have to rejet it

Leo
09-30-2001, 02:20 PM
forgot to mention, with low-mid range gains offered by the T4 you might be better off going back to the 15 tooth, as mine seems to pull much harder short shifiting and not winding it to the moon..

since the T4 I've only put the 14 on once (for serious hill-climbing)..

get the jetting squared away, open up the airbox a bit if your riding conditions allow, slap the 15 back on, and then see what happens ;)

Leo

"BLAHH"300!!
09-30-2001, 07:21 PM
AND YES YOU CAN GET THE K&N FILTER WITHOUT JETTING
FREIND OF MINE HAS COBRA EXAUST AND K&N FLTER WITH INSERTS

STOCK FRONT SPROKET-- AND HE'S RUNNIN FINE

WATCH THAT WATER WITH THOSE INSERTS THOUGH