PDA

View Full Version : which brand of cam is best.

jsmith2232
02-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I am going to put a cam in my 400 ex, i was planning on the hot cam stage II. Are any of the other manufactures making cams that are better? I ride both trails and dunes.

ride_red666
02-05-2006, 09:20 PM
i hav a hotcam and love it. there is also the hrc cam from honda, cost more but is also a really good one. will notice more with the hrc but u hav to get hardened rockers with it where as the hot cams are drop ins.

Crazy Diamond
02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I was thinking of putting a Hot Cam Stage 2 in my 416. I do trail riding (fast and slow) and hillclimbs, with some play racing. Is this the way to go? And would I be able to just put around also?

400exrules
02-06-2006, 05:49 PM
go with a hotcam.

they've been around for a while, well know, and ive had no prob with mine

NacsMXer
02-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by ride_red666
i hav a hotcam and love it. there is also the hrc cam from honda, cost more but is also a really good one. will notice more with the hrc but u hav to get hardened rockers with it where as the hot cams are drop ins.

You've got that wrong. The HRC is a fully drop-in cam. Utilizes the stock decompression mechanism, stock rockers, valves, valve springs etc. Yes, it is more pricey than other cams on the market, but IMO, it blows any Hotcam away in terms of performance ;) This cam is truly one of the best you could possibly run in a 400. You gotta pay to play just like anything else.

Go with the Hotcams if you're on a budget though.

NacsMXer
02-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
I was thinking of putting a Hot Cam Stage 2 in my 416. I do trail riding (fast and slow) and hillclimbs, with some play racing. Is this the way to go? And would I be able to just put around also?

You would be fine going fast with that cam, but it would be lacking down low with the stage 2. The stage 2 is a top end cam made for racing, so the engine's really gonna chug if you are just putting around. Hillclimbs also won't be fun unless you keep the rev's up. The stage 1 is the opposite, mostly low-mid power. What's nice about the HRC is you don't have to compromise... has excellent power from low-mid and on the top end, it screams :devil: My engine revs to the moon in a second, and I don't even have a lightened flywheel. Lazarus at GT Thunder told me all about the HRC before I bought it, and everything he said was indeed true :macho Again, the only downside to the HRC is the price tag..:ermm:

Crazy Diamond
02-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Where do you get the HRC and how much???

NacsMXer
02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I got mine from GT Thunder. I forget the exact price but it was 300 something. I think service honda sells them as well.

Cody_300ex
02-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Web cam!!! Great customer service and products!

jsmith2232
02-07-2006, 06:43 AM
How much horsepower difference is there between the hrc and hotcam? Does any one have any dyno charts to post for either?

lghickman21
02-07-2006, 07:00 AM
i run a hot cam stg 2 and i love it and there is no core charge on it. I rode a 416 with a web cam and it would absolutely scream. much faster than mine and both of the engine were built by the same guy. but there is the huge core on the web if you are on a budget.:)

jsmith2232
02-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Is the web cam more expensive than the hrc and how do they compare performance?

F-16Guy
02-07-2006, 10:08 AM
The Web Cams are cheaper than the HRC, but you will have to send in your old cam as a core, and you'll need to have your rockers hard faced. Web offers a much bigger selection of grinds, and your valve train will be much more durable since everything is hardened instead of having the plating that Honda puts on the rockers. Hotcams are the cheap, easy way to go, but you're not going to see the kind of power you would from an HRC or Web.

jsmith2232
02-07-2006, 12:29 PM
I just got some specs on the webcam 450/451 and the white brothers track cam and they are the same grind.. Does anyone know how much the track cam is?

parts eeter
02-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Here ya go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4611528082&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

NacsMXer
02-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by jsmith2232
I just got some specs on the webcam 450/451 and the white brothers track cam and they are the same grind.. Does anyone know how much the track cam is?

I used to run the Webcam 450/451 and it wasn't anything to get excited over. A little gain all around, but not much. The only Webcams that could even compete with the HRC are the 463/9i grind and there is another high performance grind but I forget what it is called. With those grinds, you need hardfaced rockers, HD valve springs, shortened valve guides, etc. By the time you spend all that to run the Web, you could have already dropped in an HRC and been done with it. The HRC will also have a much broader power spread than the high performance Webcams. You would have to be riding the quad like a 2-stroke to be going fast with those high-perf. Webcam grinds.

IMO, a completely stock valvetrain with an HRC will always be more reliable than a fully modded and stiffened valvetrain. You're going to be wearing out valves much quicker as well as the head running those HD springs and what not...

nat78
02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
do you have the part no. for the HRC cam?

jsmith2232
02-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I am trying to find the WB Track cam and the TC cam to find prices and can't come up with anything... can some one give me an idea of where i can find out or how much they are. Thanks.

NacsMXer
02-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by nat78
do you have the part no. for the HRC cam?

Don't have a part number. Go here and call up Lazarus, he can hook you up: www.gtthunder.com

Last I heard, people were having trouble finding the HRC through Service Honda :ermm:

nat78
02-07-2006, 06:18 PM
thanks, ya I couldnt find it through service honda

humblesquirel21
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
for a 300ex could u put in a race grind web in and keep the reliabillty or should i stick with the all around is the what kinda power can i expect

hauck400ex
02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
honda discontinued the hrc cam for the xr/400ex... so if the dealer doesnt have it, they cant get it... i have a hotcam stage 1 cam and i love it... a ton of torque, i can get a 450r off the line no prob, but of course he smokes me once we get through 2nd gear... but its a nice low to mid gain