PDA

View Full Version : sumthing wrong...plz look!

Blue250X
02-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I went riding today w/ my freind and we were riding and i would put it in neutral and rev it and it wouldnt rev. It sounded like it was missing......like.....vrooom..vroom. like there was a little gap in between, and it scares me to keep riding it. it has a frsh engine rebuild. It has a wiseco piston in it, and i dont think it is a 12:1 compression, but i cant find a piston for my 250x that has a lower compression than that. i run regular gas, so, i hope i just need to get higher octane. plz help. 1991 honda 250x

Blue250X
02-05-2006, 06:43 PM
anyone know?? this really bothers me

zeppelin
02-05-2006, 06:47 PM
clean your carb out, make sure your choke it off, clean your air filter, change out your spark plugs and switch out your kanooter valves

Blue250X
02-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
clean your carb out, make sure your choke it off, clean your air filter, change out your spark plugs and switch out your kanooter valves

Kanooter valves? carb is clean, choke is off, i will try my air filter

02-05-2006, 08:14 PM
full tank of gas?

Chicksdigme423
02-05-2006, 10:10 PM
if you have 12:1 you need to be running race gas or a 93/110 mix

m1ke
02-05-2006, 10:12 PM
engine sound like its cutting out? coil / cdi ?

zeppelin
02-06-2006, 04:58 AM
i really do need to take your plug out to see ehat it looks like at least and post it up here, it might hellp us figure out if your jetted incorectly

Blue250X
02-06-2006, 07:04 AM
my plug is a tan color, where can i find 110 octane gas?

m1ke
02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
tan is perfect, that's where you want it.

zeppelin
02-06-2006, 01:52 PM
you dont need 110 octane, useing a higher octane than you need not only wastes money but you can actualy lose power, try running some mid grade gas (90 octane) and see if it pings or knocks, if iit doesnt your bike willr run much better on it and it might even fi your problem

Blue250X
02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
thats good that i dont need 110 octane, but if i dont push the throttle in extremly fast, but a little slower, it goes fine and revs good, this really confuses me, im almost afraid to ride it because i dont want to break it

Blue250X
02-06-2006, 03:51 PM
bump

zeppelin
02-06-2006, 03:54 PM
did you clean your carb and air filter yet, after you open it up see what size main you have, you probably need a bigger one

Blue250X
02-06-2006, 04:05 PM
did you clean your carb and air filter yet, after you open it up see what size main you have, you probably need a bigger one

my carb and airfilter r clean, it has a 130 main and it jetted good. teh pilot is stock. when i rev it slower it revs fine. its just when i go from idle to pinned really fast. what are kanooter valves?

m1ke
02-06-2006, 04:46 PM
what's the color on the spark plug? this will tell you if fuel ratio is correct.

Blue250X
02-06-2006, 05:43 PM
already said it was tannish. i think its jetted good

Blue250X
02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
bumpity bump bump bump

zeppelin
02-06-2006, 07:48 PM
lmao i was joking about the kanooter valves, they arent real

m1ke
02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Okay. If it's tan your jetting is perfect.

Blue250X
02-07-2006, 01:06 PM
lmao i was joking about the kanooter valves, they arent real

haha ok, i was like "kanooter valves:eek2: " lol any one know wats wrong??

parts eeter
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
A spark plug reading is crude way to check jetting at best and only if done properly.It will not tell you if your pilot jet is lean which is my opinion.With the high compression piston the engine will make more heat which in turn needs more fuel to compensate.I would increase pilot size by 2 sizes which will cure a lean conditioon off idle.If it gets almost perfect with this change but still has a slight bog drop the needle clip by one to raise needle.If problem still persists I would suspect that your cam timing may be off upon reassembly.Refer to service manual and check cam timing after exhausting methods outlined above.I had a problem similar on my 250r(cutting out that is) and I traced it to a bad ground connector.a 5 cent part ruined many days of riding.Could also be suspect.If a bog isnt accompanied by backfiring than its probably a fuel issue and not a spark issue.

parts eeter
02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
After reading your posts more carefully your problem IS YOUR PILOT SIZE. Take your carb apart and put a bigger pilot jet in there.Then send me a big cheesecake for a thank you present!!Yuk YUk Yuk. Soooo many people think increasing main jets fixes a carb.Honda is notorious for jetting on the very lean side to be environmentally friendly.My 400 ex has 3 sizes larger on pilot and 2 sizes larger on main.It is snappy off the bottom.

Blue250X
02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by parts eeter
After reading your posts more carefully your problem IS YOUR PILOT SIZE. Take your carb apart and put a bigger pilot jet in there.Then send me a big cheesecake for a thank you present!!Yuk YUk Yuk. Soooo many people think increasing main jets fixes a carb.Honda is notorious for jetting on the very lean side to be environmentally friendly.My 400 ex has 3 sizes larger on pilot and 2 sizes larger on main.It is snappy off the bottom.

oh, a cheesecake huh?? lol, i have a 40 pilot jet that im gunna put in there. i know how to jet, but how do i do teh needle thingy?? (haha, sounded really newbish)

parts eeter
02-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I like the cakes from Sams club,ya know the new york style ones.:D I dunno what size pilot comes in the 250 but your manual will specify.Go at least 2 sizes up.If you are running the disc style muffler like a supertrapp removing discs until throttle response is crisp also works.Man I really have fond memories of the 250x but that was many many cheesecakes ago and now a 426 is required.:( I am trying to talk my girl into getting the 250 ex but she isnt expressing any interest.Chix are cool but man they are lazy.Well when it comes to outdoor activities they seem to be.Good luck

Blue250X
02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I like the cakes from Sams club,ya know the new york style ones.:D I dunno what size pilot comes in the 250 but your manual will specify.Go at least 2 sizes up.If you are running the disc style muffler like a supertrapp removing discs until throttle response is crisp also works.Man I really have fond memories of the 250x but that was many many cheesecakes ago and now a 426 is required.:( I am trying to talk my girl into getting the 250 ex but she isnt expressing any interest.Chix are cool but man they are lazy.Well when it comes to outdoor activities they seem to be.Good luck

im prolly wrong but i think its a 35 pilot. well, next time im at sams club, ill pick one up for ya, haha. my pipe does have discs and i like to keep my topend power so i have em all in, i think that gives me top, haha. Thanks for the help, im jetting it tomorrow, and ill tell ya if it works.
Nate

parts eeter
02-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Forgot.The needle is in the slide of the carb under the return spring.Pop the top and remove the spring then the needle.Take the needle out and put it on the bench on a towel.DO NOT LOSE THE CLIP it will fly clear out the garage!! Then reinstall the clip one notch lower on the needle,Doing this will lift the needle a little bit and cause the engine to recieve more fuel at lower rpms having a richening affect on the engine.Just tinker with one aspect at a time.Never change more than 1 thing at a time.Ride your quad and try to find a spot that your quad exhibits the problem.Ride to the shop change the jet.Go back and ride.Still doing it but not as bad go bigger on pilot.This applies to needle tuning and muffler tuning also.And most important dont forget I like strawberries on my cheesecake!! Good luck and dont worry its a simple problem that will go away with tuning.

parts eeter
02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Just a piece of info I thought you may wanna know.When I was at AMI for Honda mechanincs I had a xl 600 that had a supertrapp that had a bog in it and the only way I could get it to go away was removing discs until bog went away.So I strapped it on the dyno and compared with all of the discs and with about 4(cant remember specifics,but I do remember that it produced more power over a broader rpm range with less discs.Top end numbers were within 1/2 hp.where you r barely running at anyway.Just thought u would want to know.Dont be scared to try because over the years my best running machines were ones that I took apart over and over again to tune on.

Blue250X
02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Just a piece of info I thought you may wanna know.When I was at AMI for Honda mechanincs I had a xl 600 that had a supertrapp that had a bog in it and the only way I could get it to go away was removing discs until bog went away.So I strapped it on the dyno and compared with all of the discs and with about 4(cant remember specifics,but I do remember that it produced more power over a broader rpm range with less discs.Top end numbers were within 1/2 hp.where you r barely running at anyway.Just thought u would want to know.Dont be scared to try because over the years my best running machines were ones that I took apart over and over again to tune on.

OK, let me make a list:
1. cheesy cake
2. no cherries
3.um....
4. does it sound good so far?
haha, thanks w/ the help