PDA

View Full Version : Raced an LTR-450

Mike Jones
02-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Was at Dumont yesterday and raced a STOCK LT-R450(pipe baffle removed) on an 05 YFZ450 w/a Dr. D Slip on, cam-mod, rev-box, jetted and filtered

Guy who owned it was pretty cool...said he got it for $8100 OTD in California...Defiantely a pretty trick looking bike...

We were both pretty comparable riders...neither is gonna win the Baja 1000 but not beginners either.

He got me through the whoops, so he had about a bike and a half on me...once we got onto the up-hill portion I pulled him in and went by him and put about 3 bikes on him and was still pulling away by the time we reached the top...

We got to the bottom and again he was cool...didnt make any excuses...just said when he gets a pipe, power commander and a filter kit...he's down to go again.

I know this is my first post here so dont freak out and think Im trolling....Never had much to add before I guess.:D

For comparions sake...also raced him on an stock 06 YFZ450, and he put about 2 bikes on me consistently up the hill and was still pulling away.

Just trying to give you an idea of where the Suzuki is at stock:cool:

Ride1Rob
02-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey... great info man! I can't wait to see one of these things in person. Hopefully there'll be one at the races this coming w/e.

badvox
02-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Sounds like an honest non-bashing post to me. Nice work.

zeus54
02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
i wil sel my soul for one if they will ever show up on the east coast

02-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Did the ltr have paddles? I have heard gearing is way off on the ltr when you put a 20 inch paddle from a 18 inch knob. That ltr gearing is prob. way off to run the hill good if it did have paddles.

Mike Jones
02-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by rawdeal
Did the ltr have paddles? I have heard gearing is way off on the ltr when you put a 20 inch paddle from a 18 inch knob. That ltr gearing is prob. way off to run the hill good if it did have paddles.

It did have 20in paddles on it...dont think he put a sprocket on it, he at least didnt mention it if he did. Only thing as far as I know was the silencer baffle removed.:cool:

02-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Cool it figured it would have a little more then current yfz or trx 450's. stock verses stk. It better be a little faster with all of the hype.

Sandgod4
02-05-2006, 09:01 PM
We have five different makes of sprockets. We couldn't find a match from a YFZ, Raptor, Dale, Z400 and a mystery sprocket.. I'm sure a RMZ front sprocket will bolt right up.. Good honest review btw..

buddah
02-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Great review. Thanks for the post.
I just picked up my LT-R on Saturday and will be bringing it to the dunes next weekend. With a 36 tooth rear sprocket it will definitely not pull the hill as fast. Definitely need a gear change. I'm going to order a 13 tooth front for a RMZ450 tomorrow. I'm sure it's the same. I'll be running 21'' Gliders for the hill.

Jonas
02-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Mike Jones
It did have 20in paddles on it...dont think he put a sprocket on it, he at least didnt mention it if he did. Only thing as far as I know was the silencer baffle removed.:cool:

Did he have his air box lid removed as well?? Was there any significant weight difference between you both?

98warriorboy
02-07-2006, 10:46 AM
i heard that it will smoke all the other 450s

loons
02-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm glad you heard that. Enjoy your warrior.:rolleyes:

tido450
02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 98warriorboy
i heard that it will smoke all the other 450s

good assertive response:macho

WhiteZee
02-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by loons
I'm glad you heard that. Enjoy your warrior.:rolleyes:
HAHAHHA!

oldsandman
02-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by buddah
Great review. Thanks for the post.
I just picked up my LT-R on Saturday and will be bringing it to the dunes next weekend. With a 36 tooth rear sprocket it will definitely not pull the hill as fast. Definitely need a gear change. I'm going to order a 13 tooth front for a RMZ450 tomorrow. I'm sure it's the same. I'll be running 21'' Gliders for the hill.

Get out and ride that thing! I'm waiting for your review to see if I want to pull the trigger on the one my dealer has waiting for me! Tell Sandgod WW never showed...LOL

135boom
02-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
Did he have his air box lid removed as well?? Was there any significant weight difference between you both?

..............you mean anymore than the 18 pounds that the ltr already has on the yfz?? ha ha ha!

135boom
02-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Mike Jones

Hey, out of curiosity, did that 06 yfz have the baffle still in and the lid still on with stock jetting?

The yfz is pretty plugged up in stock too, so comparing a totally stock yfz to a ltr with the p-shooter removed and no airbox lid isnt really a comparison!

Mike Jones
02-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 135boom
Hey, out of curiosity, did that 06 yfz have the baffle still in and the lid still on with stock jetting?

The yfz is pretty plugged up in stock too, so comparing a totally stock yfz to a ltr with the p-shooter removed and no airbox lid isnt really a comparison!

No...the baffle was out of the 06 YFZ but thats it. Stock air-box and stock jetting...

I didnt check to see if he removed the air-box on the LT-R....Took his word for it that all was done was the baffle removed...so as far as I know it was a 06 YFZ w/ baffle removed vs a 06 LT-R w/ baffle removed.

Was there any significant weight difference between you both?

He was probably 30-40lbs heavier than me... Im 6'1 225...he was probably 6'3 260ish. I tried to get as comparable riders as we could...I was the closest to this guy size-wise...To be honest he didnt even wanna race me at first...he tried to put his son on it that weighed about 140lbs to line up. Just tried to explain that I wasnt tryin to start ****, just reallly curious as to what they run..

Theres no doubt the Suzuki is faster stock vs stock...I just wanna see what they do w/ mods because the modded YFZ's were puttin the hurt on him pretty good...

SpeedBump
02-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by zeus54
i wil sel my soul for one if they will ever show up on the east coast

Not too far from you....well, i don't consider it too far. I work for FedEx Freight and we deliver most of the Suzukis to the dealerships. I dropped off the very first one in this area today. (That I know of). It was delivered to Tom's Cycle in Indiana, PA. i am not sure if it is sold or not yet, but the mechanic said they have troubles selling the sport quads here and this one is gonna be sold for a couple hundred less that list. You may want to check it out. I didn't have my good camera with me, but I did get a couple shots with my Phone. Sorry bout the quality, dark inside, and it was snowing outside. Later.
http://users.adelphia.net/~cinnamonlou/pics/ltr4501.jpg http://users.adelphia.net/~cinnamonlou/pics/ltr4502.jpg http://users.adelphia.net/~cinnamonlou/pics/ltr4503.jpg

SpeedBump
02-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Not sure why, but I will try again.

SpeedBump
02-13-2006, 05:23 PM
but not showing up, so I guess I gotta attach em.

SpeedBump
02-13-2006, 05:24 PM
I will try to get some more tomorrow if they get it all set up and out on the showroom floor.

baker58
03-23-2006, 05:38 PM
the ltr 450 takes the same sprocket as the ltz 400 i have both bikes and on the ltr i went to a 12 tooth and had to shorten the chain . i have the cherry bomb air box lid removed and the cork removed and i was slightly beating the yam 450s and the 700 . the ltr will not keep up to those big bore kits the yam has .

spudss
03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
With a 12 front sprocket what size tires are you running??

baker58
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
20in sand stars

AceLtz
03-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Why did you put a 12 tooth front on? i tried a 13 and that was too low with 20" haulers so i put it back to stock gearing. do you weigh enough to where you need the 12? i didnt mean anything by that, im just asking.

quadfam4
03-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Put a 13t on mine w/ 20" skat trak edge. Seemed like it could run a 12t to pull 4th gear but didn't want to put that much drag on the swingarm guide. It's already rubbing with the 13t. BTW I'm about 185 lbs.

baker58
03-24-2006, 06:46 AM
well i started off with a 13 t but by the time i was getting to the top of the hill some bikes were pulling away from me im 225 lbs .when i went to the 12t i stayed ahead of them . my brother weighs 175 we was going up the hill in 4th on my bike. what kind of air filter do you use i want a k&n but they dont make one yet

Speed_MDS2
03-24-2006, 07:58 AM
A 12 tooth is gonna wear out your chain guides quick. Go with a 13 front and lose a few races now, when the rears sprockets come out go with a 38 and then you'll be kickin ***** and not wearing parts out doin it. JMO

quadfam4
03-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Have a stock filter w/ a ESR filter lid. As good as no lid and keeps the large crud off the filter.
It's going to be interesting to see what kind of hook up the aftermarket cos come up with for filters.

spudss
03-24-2006, 03:16 PM
I have run K&N on most my quads and I WONT do it any more.It lets dust by.. I have had a bunch of trash(dust) in my intake.. I didnt think anything of it.. I cleaned it out and kept running.. It happened again.. I took the K&N off and put a TwinAir foam filter on and never had that problem again..

superz400
03-25-2006, 09:00 PM
i raced the ltr450 last saturday he was stock with air lid off we raced a 300foot drag , we had no one to flag us so i let him go first i beet him about three quad lengths each time, in comparison to the yfz and trx for stock i would say its pretty close

i have a z400 with a max power 450 with pand p head oversize valves stage two cams fcr 41 carb programmable cdi now a was running stoch tires wich means no traction

i would really like to see how the ltr450 performs with a cherry bomb and exhaust

after we raced the guy let me ride it. The response on is very snappy more so than the yfz (imo) handled very well for stock machine, but not as well as my z with the after market suspension