PDA

View Full Version : A touch of bad luck

atvracer980
02-05-2006, 06:30 AM
On saturday- I went to my storage shed and put a new battery in the 400ex, cranked it over- as it was starting, I noticed what appeared to be smoke coming from between the cylinder and head- my first thought was a blown headgasket- I personally have not have this happen in the 6 years I've owned the quad. Last year I had a new rod put in and the cylinder bored. I raced harescramble all year and had no issues. But after it set from mid october til now- this happened. I guess my options are to have the head deck checked for warpage, install the oversized stud kit and replace the gasket w/ a factory one. I was alittle irritated that this occurred after the expense that was put in it during the off season. I'm running a oversized oil tank, 4-row cooler, 105 octane gas, change the oil after every race, I have the air shrouds, proper jetting- I felt I made all the mods to keep the engine cooler- so what could of happened ?

Rip_Tear
02-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Maybe from running hotish then hitting a "puddle" of water? and having it cool too fast. Or may be the head wasn't getting enough/any oil? other then that I don't really know.