PDA

View Full Version : Port and Polish

ohsobad_chevy
02-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I am rather new to 4 stroke engines. I have heard people talking about porting and polishing the head... What good does this do for the motor? Another thing i would like to clear up is aftermarket camshafts. What good does an aftermarker camshaft do for your engine?
I have the general concept of what the camshaft does, but I am still curious as to what makes an aftermarket cam make the engine perform better. Input is appriciated.
Just a few things that i want to clear up.

Thanks,

400exmkt
02-04-2006, 10:32 PM
port and polish - improves the flow of gasses into and out of the head, reduces the restriction.

cams - change the duration (time), and the gap that the intake or exhaust valves are allowed to be opened to let the gasses out or in. (enhances the flow)

This is my take on it. There might be someone else that can give you a better explanation on it.

jordan_m6
02-04-2006, 10:33 PM
well most cam shafts are made to keep the valves open or closed longer how much longer i dont know that all depends on the cam. the port and polish thing every body thinks people are idiots and to take to a pro but if you do your self make sure you leave more than enough meat in the head or may crack from heat or pressure and then you will screw your head up. If your confident in your self than go ahead.

sorry i cant tell you why they give more power they can

ride_red666
02-05-2006, 12:55 AM
it gives it more power because your bringing in more gas and air. its less restrictive.

Eddiesanders250
02-05-2006, 12:30 PM
The air/fuel mixture gets in and out quicker.