PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on the 250r

dsaint77
02-04-2006, 08:51 PM
well some idiot put a 5/8 bolt in the oil drain plug because he stripped it out. I am going to replace that right case.

While I am inside the motor I am going to replace all of the bearings, and seals. Are the honda factory bearings and seals better than aftermarket stuff?

Next. This is a 18 your old machine 1987, would it be wise to replace the connecting rod and connecting rod bearings? I plan on replacing the crank bearings because they are easy to do and I hate to have one fail after I basically rebuild the bottom end.

Last. I run regular pump gas in my premix. I have read that the cr250r gasket will add more compression, higher psi = bigger combustion? will I still be able to run the pump gas with an all stock motor?

Anything you can tell me about this project would be a great help.

Thanks,
Adam

2muchquad
02-04-2006, 09:34 PM
yes it would be smart to do a new rod while its that far apart.oem is usually better but i have used aftermarket seals such as the ones from k&s with good results.you'll still be ableto run pump with that no problem.i would inspect 2nd gear while its aprt,those r's are ridden pretty hard especially since its 20 yrs old.i would go with new tranny bearings as well.yeah they can eat up a lot of money pretty quickbut its cheaper than having something come apart and break your cases.plus you'll know what you have as well.:)

Eddiesanders250
02-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Stay with honda oem bearings and seals. replace the crank/rod while your in there. its not certain whether you can run race gas or not. ive heard of people who put a cr gasket and had 215psi. If you run that head gasket you will need to do a compreesion test to tell whether you need to run race gas or not.