PDA

View Full Version : slack in the thumb throttle....

PismoGuy400
07-12-2002, 09:53 PM
you guys know when your bike comes from the factory...you can wiggle the thumb throttle back and forth w/ out opening up the carb to let gas through...

ok...so ya still with me?.....heres the question...

if i screw the little bolt that is conected to the cable out so the throttle doesnt have any slack..will i be gaining performance of any kind, or should i leave it alone...

TIA
pismoguy

Lorduss
07-12-2002, 10:40 PM
there should allways be a little play, The proper way is to ajust your throttle so you allmost make the carb click when you shove it all the way open, the thumb throttle well click, the carb barly wont, it opens up a little more top end, it comes from the factory a little lose, but theres allways a little play after ajusting,
you dont want to stretch your cable is why you dont want the carb to click when you shove the throttle wide open, you can hear it without the engine running.

Nausty
07-12-2002, 10:49 PM
you will see a gain in performance if you go full throttle a lot under accerlation and top speed because your able to get more gasoline to the engine if you can open it up more. It was a huge differance for me because of how much freeplay I had.

Lorduss
07-12-2002, 11:09 PM
yeah they have tons of freeplay from the factory. i was impressed with the difference.

Nausty
07-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Also if you want some other tips, take off your air box lid if your not riding in a dusty area or a lot of mud or snow and if you have a lot of trouble starting it during the winter and has some problems during the summer with starting bump up the pilot to a 42 and it has a lot of information on this in the faq along with removing the choke to get even more fuel to the motor.

dariusld
07-13-2002, 09:50 AM
if i screw the little bolt that is conected to the cable out so the throttle doesnt have any slack..will i be gaining performance of any kind, or should i leave it alone... Yes and no. It isn't the slack your adjusting for the performance. Its the slide inside the carb you will be adjusting for the performance. If the slide is not going up all the way, then you will be doing something. The way to find out is to look inside the carb at the slide and push the throttle all the way down to see if the slide goes all the way up. If it doesn't adjust it till it does. If this isn't clear you can go to the top of the page and click on search and type "adjusting throttle".

PismoGuy400
07-13-2002, 11:38 AM
thanks for referring me to the FAQ's , nausty, and thanks for all the input everyone.