PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

XCAdam89
02-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Ok, so on my Dad's laptop, on the keyboard the letter is in the middle, and then on the corner is a small number. Thats fine, but when I try and type when I hit the letter with the number in the corner the number shows up instead of the letter, whats up?

NacsMXer
02-04-2006, 06:37 PM
That was very confusing to read but I think your Num Lock (number lock) button is on. Laptops have the number keypad integrated into the letter portion of the keyboard sometimes. Hit Num Lock, and it will turn off.

XCAdam89
02-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I meant that the numbers were integrated into the letters. I'll try it. Thanks.

NacsMXer
02-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Also one more thing I forgot. If the number on the key is a different color than the rest of the letters, then your laptop may have another button you need to press to toggle between numbers and letters.

For instance, on one of my laptops it has the number keys integrated into the middle like yours. The color of the letters is standard white, but the little numbers in the corners are purple. To toggle on and off between the two, you have to hit this other master key that has the same purple on it. So look for that key that switches between the two, and make sure the color is the same as the numbers.

XCAdam89
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry to bring this back up, but I can't figure it out. What master key are you referring too? It seems I've hit every button on the keyboard with no luck.

ballisticpb
02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
its a function key. (fn) most systems its blue and on the lower left hand side of the key board, depending on the system you might need to hold the key to turn on or off the number lock.. or many other functions in the computer.

WheelieMan4
02-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ballisticpb
its a function key. (fn) most systems its blue and on the lower left hand side of the key board, depending on the system you might need to hold the key to turn on or off the number lock.. or many other functions in the computer.

thats what i have to do on mine too

XCAdam89
02-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Do you press the "Fn" key and then number lock or vice versa?? or what? I've tried everything it seems...

NacsMXer
02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
Do you press the "Fn" key and then number lock or vice versa?? or what? I've tried everything it seems...

No, the number lock was ruled out as a possibility. You hit the Fn key one time to activate it, then it switches to the "number mode" on the keyboard. Hit it one more time, and it turns off; you get your letters back.

The Fn key was that "master key" I was speaking of. I didn't know if all manufacturers used that same standard or not so sorry to mislead you at first :)