PDA

View Full Version : Signs of crank bearing failure/thrust washers

ATC350X 85
02-04-2006, 03:59 PM
To all that have had there bearings fail/thrust washers: Was there metal in the oil prior to them failing? Motor got louder? I have about 110 hours on my 450 with oil changes every 5-8 hours and have feeling they may be on there way to failure. I changed the oil today and found 1 spec of metal stuck in the filter, silver in color. No shavings in the oil when I drained it from the crankcase. Not sure if I am over reacting here but damn that is a big job to do to overhaul that $hit. Is there a quick way to check them out w/o a teardown, is it legit to feel through the crank hole plug for play or should I tear down the top end and check for play?

Also not sure if anyone elses does this but when I rotate my motor over by hand I hear a clank noise at a certain point thru the rotation. It is louder if I rotate it clockwise. I have heard this noise for at least the last 50 hours when I go to do a valve adjustment.

02-04-2006, 04:35 PM
there is indeed a quick way to see if its going out. it was on a earlier thread so try to search it.

clutt225
02-04-2006, 04:48 PM
For the cost of a top end gasket kit I would tear it down. I just did mine and caught it just in time. Be safe and out a gasket kit rather than out the whole motor. If you find nothing than it cost you a gasket kit for piece of mind if you find somthing like I did than you would have found it later and it will cost more if you find it later.

WhiteZee
02-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by clutt225
For the cost of a top end gasket kit I would tear it down. I just did mine and caught it just in time. Be safe and out a gasket kit rather than out the whole motor. If you find nothing than it cost you a gasket kit for piece of mind if you find somthing like I did than you would have found it later and it will cost more if you find it later.
you said you caught yours.... did you just pull the jug and look down at the 2 washers? i guess they looked all messed up?

clutt225
02-04-2006, 05:03 PM
They don't look bad but they have alot of play. Allso another spot the 04/05's are bad for is the top of the conecting rod will score the piston pin cause play and eventualy your piston will flip in the cylinder and wrech chit big time. That is what mine was going to do.

clutt225
02-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Here is the piston and pin

02-04-2006, 06:27 PM
man these subjects always scare me, ive rode the hell out of my bike, just to think all of my work would go to nothing when somethin like this happened, almost makes me want to tear everything down and check it all :(

makes me mad that honda would even let that slip by

compedge
02-04-2006, 06:31 PM
my 04 knocked like a mofo! It had 6hours on it. It only ran for anout 10sec. knocking. I tore the motor down and didnt find one part that lookked bad. And theres not much side play in the crank at all. There was a lot of flat metal shavings in the motor. Ive had a new honda crank on order for a month. The said somewhere in march now.
I also got a je 11.5:1 piston and a hot cam 2. I cant see going in there with out making more hp!

ATC350X 85
02-04-2006, 06:43 PM
It scares the $hit outta me too. I do all my own work as well. I called Honda today to find out what that would run me roughly, about $2500, Holy $hit. I cant afford that. Im saving to by a house. I plan to ride on Tuesday, if there is more metal in the oil after that then Im gonna tear down the top end and I guess the right side cover and inspect it. Probly take the motor outta the bike if I gotta take the side cover off and bring it to work. Dammit I work on toyotas not hondas!!!

02-04-2006, 07:43 PM
if my motor does that...and honda doesnt cover it...im done with honda..and i will never buy 1 again...jus makes me mad that they would even build a bike with a problem like this...i dont have $2500 to spend, so if it goes out, no more business from me unfortunantly :(

plus the fact that it would pretty much ruin my season :ermm:

compedge
02-04-2006, 08:53 PM
If you replace the crank and piston and do all the work yourself it should only run you about $500-600 tops. Honda also sells a top end and bottom end gasket kit.

ThumPIN_450R
02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I've had my honda let loose on the bottom end 4 times since last march and one was a crank. The only thing I noticed when the crank went is that all that weekend of racing that thing was running extremely slow. Did you say that cranks are on back order till march compedge? My most recent engine failure requires another crank replacement and I can't wait till march for it that's for shure I haven't rode my own quad since sept and it's really pissing me off that I have a brand new PEP shock and LSR outlaw rear end bolted on that thing that I have yet to ride.

WhiteZee
02-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
I've had my honda let loose on the bottom end 4 times since last march
haha, i think i would just give up on the honda then, dam.

FHKracingZ
02-04-2006, 10:59 PM
your piston flip? are you dumb?? the day a piston flips upside down i will commit suicide

ThumPIN_450R
02-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
haha, i think i would just give up on the honda then, dam.

I am planning on a lt 450 as soon as I can. This honda has been the biggest piece of **** of any motorized machinery I've ever owned and that includes my 1991 LT250R.

ATC350X 85
02-04-2006, 11:41 PM
I didnt purchase any warranty crap because hell I bought a honda, right. Ive owned hondas since I started riding and never had to do anything to them but basic maintenance. I have a 21 yr old ATC and a 20 yr old TRX that still run without flaws everytime I take them out, why cant the 450's be like that. Just curious but to everyone that had there bearings fail was the bike made in America? I ask this because with all the Toyotas Ive worked on the cars that were built in Japan were always a tighter car, less problems etc. My 450r was made here so I gotta wonder.

Honda
02-05-2006, 03:05 AM
your piston flip? are you dumb?? the day a piston flips upside down i will commit suicide

LMAO......

Jersey450R
02-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by ATC350X 85
It scares the $hit outta me too. I do all my own work as well. I called Honda today to find out what that would run me roughly, about $2500, Holy $hit. I cant afford that. Im saving to by a house. I plan to ride on Tuesday, if there is more metal in the oil after that then Im gonna tear down the top end and I guess the right side cover and inspect it. Probly take the motor outta the bike if I gotta take the side cover off and bring it to work. Dammit I work on toyotas not hondas!!!

2500??!!! for what? i can get a brand new 05' motor for $1950 :eek2:

honda350r
02-05-2006, 08:32 AM
here is what the right side bearing looks like when it goes out ..

honda350r
02-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by ATC350X 85
Iwas the bike made in America? I ask this because with all the Toyotas Ive worked on the cars that were built in Japan were always a tighter car, less problems etc. My 450r was made here so I gotta wonder.

I agree that the stuff built in Japan is much better than the stuff built here..

I always tell people that if you are buying a Toyota or Honda make sure it was built 100% in Japan!

Hammer trx450r
02-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R

Then tell Tommy cause he is paying 3100 for just the bottom end

clutt225
02-05-2006, 09:31 AM
You misunderstood, the piston will start to rock in the cylinder and will com apart the rod will then start punching holes in every thing it can reach, cases and cylinder walls.

Knightrider had his 400ex piston turn on its side and still run for a short time then it locked up.

compedge
02-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
I've had my honda let loose on the bottom end 4 times since last march and one was a crank. The only thing I noticed when the crank went is that all that weekend of racing that thing was running extremely slow. Did you say that cranks are on back order till march compedge? My most recent engine failure requires another crank replacement and I can't wait till march for it that's for shure I haven't rode my own quad since sept and it's really pissing me off that I have a brand new PEP shock and LSR outlaw rear end bolted on that thing that I have yet to ride.

yes the crank is on b/o till somewhere in march. first honda said 2nd week in feb. now its march. It probley wont be intill may!

If its back ordered thatsounds like there having a problem with them.

Im thinking of going falicon. $525 worked stock crank and a knife rod.

knight rider
02-05-2006, 10:45 AM
hey FHKracingZ u better start tieing nots because my piston fliped i cant find my piston to takes eny pics once i find pics i will

clutt225
02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
I will be sending my crank to falicon this week and my cylinder is going to mellenium to get reconditioned.

02-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by knight rider
hey FHKracingZ u better start tieing nots wow...thats prob. the funniest things ive ever read :eek2: :eek2: :p :p :eek2: :eek2: :p :p

ATC350X 85
02-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R

Where do u get that? Is that one gonna blow crank bearings like the rest of the 05s?:confused:

compedge
02-05-2006, 07:57 PM
I hope the new cranks and bearings dont have the same problem. I dont want to go throu this again. And the falicon is $300 more. Or $600 more for the billet.

Pete