PDA

View Full Version : Leg Cramp

Pappy
02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I never thought it was so bad that a leg cramp could kill you...by that I mean you always here people that drowned due to a cramp. Well, I had my first REAL cramp last night and I damn near chewed my leg off it hurt so bad.

What the heck causes these things, and is there a way to relieve them when they hit. My leg and foot have been aching badly all day due to this, which hit at 3:30 am and woke up the entire house with my screaming in pain:( I literally feel like someone ran over my lower leg and foot:ermm:

yamablaster24
02-04-2006, 03:56 PM
never had one but i have had my lower leg and foot ranover by a toyota 4 runner resulting in some broken bones. I would "consult" a physician because a pain that can do that to a grown man i cant even fathom... :eek2:

coolex
02-04-2006, 04:02 PM
is iot a charlie horse cuz if so u just need to stand up and walk it off on a hard floor

Pappy
02-04-2006, 04:06 PM
not a charlie horse, the calf muscle knotted up and damn near threw me out of the bed. i literally couldnt have walked if my pants was on fire! my foot was pulled down and it was all i could do to keep it pulled back away from the direction it wanted to go

Quad18star
02-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Could be a result of muscle fatigue . I get some pretty bad leg cramps ever since I had it broken and my physio therapist told me it's because the muscles aren't as flexible as they were before .

Try doing a few excercises . Here's a few that might help ...

1. Lay flat on your back on a bed with your legs stretched out . Slowly slide your foot ( cramped leg) up towards your hip .. then slide it back down . Do that 20 or so times .

2. Lay flat on your back with your good leg bent . Take the cramped leg and lift it up 20 or so times keeping it fully extended and letting it relax when it comes back down to the bed for 2 seconds or so . .

3 . Stand straight and hang onto soemthing to keep your balance ( the back of a dinner chair) . Put all your weight on the good leg and bend the cramped leg at the knee behind you . Make sure to keep your back straight and not bent or it will not fully extend your leg muscles . Do that 12 to 15 times .

Try those out and see how it does . Drink a lot of water or energy drinks like Gatorade or Powerade . If it doesn't go away .... call up your doctor or physiotherapist ...... or just drink a case of beer and the pain will go away. :devil:

Kilabanshee
02-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Whenever I used to swim I got the worst cramps in my calf muscle. A way to get them away quick.... Put your leg out infront of your body and point your toes toward your face. I guess it helps relax the muscle and it goes away real quick.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-04-2006, 04:27 PM
LOL those hurt like an sob..... Dusty gets them pretty frequent I know she presses as hard as she can on the calf muscle when it is cramped like that and eventually it goes away. As for the cause she thought it was a lack of potassium and started taking a potassium suppliment untill here obgyn chewed her out and did not want her taking it anymore. He said that is what they use for leathal injections to stop the heart..... He said if she took too much she could have complications. She felt that it helped get rid of the calf cramps. Maybe try drinking more water and eating more bananas :confused:

250xridamatt
02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
My brothers soccer team would go out to eat after games, and some of the guys would always ask for some juice out of a pickle jar. They would pass it around and take a sip of it. I guess there is something in the pickle juice that keeps you from getting a cramp.

I know what you are talking about. I got one of those cramps while laying on the couch a year or two ago. I couldnt move my leg, and I couldnt get up off the couch. I was just rolling around in horrible pain trying to move my knee. It definately sucked.

AtvMxRider
02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
OMG I get them all the time and hell yes they hurt. I usually just stick my head in teh pillow and scream to keep from waking up the whole house. If you fell it coming on the best thing to do is get up real quick and walk on it it will go away just like that.

wvspeedfreak
02-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Drinking plenty of water will reduce muscle cramping.By this I mean drinking plenty every day to prevent them from happening.Also the excersises someone else suggested will help as well.
A good perscription muscle relaxer might do the trick to relieve it when it is happening though ;)

dober250R
02-04-2006, 09:51 PM
potassium deficiency. I'm a swimmer and when i don't take my vitamins, I get killer cramps at night, Best way i get ride of them is to massage my calf muscle and try to keep the screaming to a minimum. I usually just say a few choice 4 letter words.........

Pappy
02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
water and muscle relaxers will get me thru the next couple nights. and i havent been eating right the past few weeks, i gotta get back on my regimine.

all i know is that its felt like someome busted me in the calf with a baseball bat all day and the cramp feeling is still there, like its just waiting for me :mad: why is it the things that hurt the worst you cant do anything to get back at...id like to take mr. cramp out and kneecap him:grr:

blasteracer24
02-04-2006, 09:55 PM
i love cramps i think they are funny. like they hurt so abd i laugh histerically.

02-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by blasteracer24
i love cramps i think they are funny. like they hurt so abd i laugh histerically.
Phred thinks you don't know what pain is....

Pappy
02-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by blasteracer24

as a woman, does midol work or not:chinese:

cletusEX
02-04-2006, 10:17 PM
My dad and brother both get them real bad. My dad starting taking some kind of vitamins and it helped. My brother gets them after a hard race or practice. He usually has to crawl into the shower and the hot water takes care of 'em. Nothing like waking up and hearing somebody scream and crawl into the shower at 3 am. I've got them so bad that the muscle was sore for a few days. Staying hydrated is what works for me.

BlasterEaten250
02-04-2006, 10:37 PM
i get those in my calves or my toes every once in a while. When its on my calve i press really hard, when its on my toe i put my foot down and put pressure on it with the floor.

JOEX
02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I've had them before and they are very painful. For those males that haven't had them but have been whacked 'where it hurts most' imagine more pain but with a bit less nausea.:scary:

I thought there was a pressure point that could be used to help alleviate the pain but after a very brief search I didn;t find it. I have heard of using Quinine, sounds futile though.

YZ400EX
02-05-2006, 03:03 AM
I get them every once in awhile, but only early in the mornings just before its time to wake up..I have no idea why..they dont happen frequent, but when they do it totally sucks..I have to massage it alot to get it to stop cramping and then for the rest of the day and the next day my calf muscle is very very sore..I have tried alot of things to prevent them, but have not yet been successful..I heard that sometimes if you stretch real good before you go to sleep that will prevent them, but again it hasnt worked for me..I know the feeling you are talking about when you say the cramps feel like they are waiting for you because I get that feeling also, but it never happens again till I am sleeping..Wish I could be of more help, but I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!:D

Pappy
02-05-2006, 08:19 AM
thanks for the help...i think a mix of diet, exercise and stretching will help but im a normal hick and that will last until the pain is gone:p

the wife thinks its because ive been on my feet non stop for the past few weeks on concrete.

02-05-2006, 08:57 AM
What causes a leg cramp?
The exact cause of a leg cramp is not well understood, but there are some risk factors that are thought to contribute to this condition:

* Muscle fatigue
* Heavy exercising
* Dehydration
* High weight (not necessarily obesity)
* Electrolyte imbalances

or some acid in your legs goes all over...i forget what its called:(

Nick110
02-05-2006, 09:04 AM
My friend gets toe cramps swimming. He is a big boy and he gets a toe cramp and falls to the ground or just stops swimming and starts to scream.

Its pretty funny but it has to hurt.

popo
02-05-2006, 09:06 AM
It's caused by lack of nookie.:D

Rip_Tear
02-05-2006, 11:48 AM
I've had them, wake up at night in extreme pain like your leg is getting crushed!

It's usually due to a lack of calcium. I started taking some calcumin things my mom had and they went right away. Then I started taking a multi vitamine with calcium in it (figured I'd cover the whole thing).

So seriously I'd say take a multi vitamine with a good calcium count in it. My mom was a nurse and she suggested it, and none since, but you gotta keep on top of it. Stretching and stuff will help for sure too.

JDiablo
02-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Just have a bannana next to your bed at night. :o

wvspeedfreak
02-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by popo

Boy I hope not.If so I better start doing some stretches :D :p

AtvMxRider
02-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by popo

Bullchit if that's true

AtvMxRider
02-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by JDiablo
Just have a bannana next to your bed at night. :o :eek2:

Mxjunkie
02-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Bananaboy is right, see if you saved that banana you shipped in his parts and did the banana work out you'd have stamina to wake up in the morning..

I think here soon instead of your 450r we will see a badass wheel chair with a 450r motor and elkas on it..