PDA

View Full Version : My frame is warped.

RidetheRed
02-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I took my bike apart for my winter rebuild and it appears that the back of the frame, like the area above the swingarm, is warped (twisted).I dont think this will hurt anything. Its got a few cracks on the frame too. I wonder if I should just fix my frame and gusset it , or get a nice used one. what do you guys think is the best plan of action. 86 250r-about to be a 310r.

twisted threads
02-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I have seen my dad years ago bend back frames that were bent and then gusset the frames. I think once it bends It going to be weak..... good luck.

elbine69
02-04-2006, 05:27 PM
My frame was tweaked and we straightened it out and gusseted it and ive had no problems with it weakening the frame. You just have to be careful and take your time to do it right.

RidetheRed
02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Oh, I can do it. I work in a machine shop and my dad is a proffesional welder and a good mechanic. Im definetly gonna gusset it cause its gonna have to stand up to the abuse of my 310.

TheFontMaster
02-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Just make shure you get the frame fixed before you gusset it. It doesn't matter how strong the frame is, if it's bent, it's not going to handle right.

tmoney
02-08-2006, 05:23 PM
I was just in that same boat. I am nearing the end of my 88 R rebuild which had a slightly bent subframe and several cracks near the base of the subframe and above the pegs. I ignored the slight misalignment and welded strips of steel on the sides of the frame where the cracks were. I grinded down the welds, powder coated the frame black, and it looks absolutely awesome.
It should hold up to anything I can throw at it. This also left my wallet at least $500 heavier.