PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki LT-R450 controls

DezSled
02-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I bought a LT-R450 a couple weeks ago. It is a nice quad, alot different than my trusty TRX250R. Now I need to replace the clutch perch/parking brake/starter button/kill switch assembly. The dealer didn't know what parts would make the change over yet since it was so new. Clutch lever has to be pulled in to start the bike, so something has to be done here also. New handlebars would be nice, but since the front brake line is so short the rise in the new bars has to be close to the stock bars. The bars I bought had to high of a rise, and would not work as the brake line was to tight to turn right. Need a throttle kit too. Taking the plastic off is a hassle too, gotta be about 30 fasteners to take off front & rear fenders & tank cover. No petcock to turn off. Thing is kinda heavy too, seems that way when lifted vertical compared to a full TRX250R Roll Lobo 2 desert racebike. Anyone know if the starter button from a 450 Suzuki motocross bike might work? Throttle assembly? Starter button? Tops out way to quickly, no room for a larger countershaft sprocket. Rear sprocket is the only option, but the chain is almost on the sprocket mount stock. Might fit a 2 tooth smaller on the rear but its close. stock is 14x36. Using 22" & 20" front and rear tires helped only alittle on the top speed. Never liked running 22" rears but that might be a partial solution. In the southwest suspension & top end handling are what we are looking for. Also don't want to spend $450 for a steering stabilizer as a $20 volkswagen stabilzer has worked fine since '86. How about a desert seat? Any answers would be appreciated. I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 2 stroke bikes just yet. Definitely old school here. Any OEM dealers/aftermarket people out there to help?

igmif
02-04-2006, 02:42 PM
That's a great idea about the Volks Steering Stab. I happen to have one laying around. I'm gonna try it out.

wolffie
02-04-2006, 03:03 PM
what brand of bars did you get? call up the manufacture and talk to them about an appropriate brake line size. you probably need a longer line, or an aftermarket clamp! very nice quad man! is this your only sport quad besides your 250r? it is probably a much different feel compared to your R, but damn, i would have to imagine it would be better in every respect! have you had alot of seat time on it yet?

oh yeah, check out these sites for parts:

www.rockymountainatv.com
www.motosport.com
www.denniskirk.com

370kingR
02-04-2006, 07:49 PM
It doesnt sound like you like that bike one bit. Is that the case or are you just finding the bugs and are bothered but them?

DezSled
02-04-2006, 07:52 PM
The TAG bars I can return for another bend, but will require new bar clamps for the 1 1/8" pro taper style. I called Bo at Roll Design, he had a LT-R450 in their shop for mock up. No steering stems yet. He said that they are working on a-arms but nothing just yet for release and call back in a month. The front brake line will need replacing, the stocker is way complicated with extra fittings and mounts.
As far as riding the thing yes I have taken it out for some seat time with my wife and a racing friend. It's gonna need some race setup. It is impressive but the sensation of speed is different compared with the lobo 2 bike. The quality of the Roll bike is hard to beat with Elka Elite suspension. The engine braking will take the most time getting used to.
I 've raced on afew different machines in the past: Roll Suzuki LT500, Roll Yamaha Banshee, and a Yamaha Blaster lengthened w/ long travel suspension. Even placing well enough to make it in the mags.
Thanks for your suggestions and input Wolfman.

Quadprorider
02-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Got anymore pics of it with the plastics off? If so please post them or send them to greencash02@aol.com Thanks for your time, Nick.

DezSled
02-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Its just beeoaching about it King. Resistance to change. It is heavy, but it does haul butt.
RM throttle, kill button, start button work on the LT-R?
Going to adapt these lights, anyone know the stator output? Not in the owners manual.

DezSled
02-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Plastics removed.

DezSled
02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
plastics off

nowukno
02-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Ever rode a stock YFZ450 or 450R? If so , how would you compare the power?

DezSled
02-04-2006, 10:26 PM
No I resisted from riding the 4 strokes because I might like em more than my trx250r. Friends told me they are faster, but I still find that the 4 strokes don't 'bark' off the line like a 2 stroke (rev it and drop the clutch like on the base of a dune hill racing someone). But they do torque off the line hard. Where I would rely on revving a 2 stroke to hit the powerband. Don't get me wrong the LT-R450 probably is faster than my trx250r, I just wanna resist not premixing my gas. JK. The future is now and I have made that trx250r the best I could so I still have the 2 stroke mindset. I know that 4 strokes are the future.
I couldn't compare the 4 strokes powerwise (hon yam suz) cause I only have ridden one.

TCracin440ex
02-05-2006, 02:52 AM
j/w what u was gonna do with stock wheels and tires

readybeartoe
02-05-2006, 04:34 AM
I am just like you "Die Hard 2-stroke" fan with 2 decked out TRX250R's. I'm not willing to buy a New Suzuki until it's proven to be what Jones and Gust says it is. They should place 1st and 2nd today at Glenn Hellen if it's what they say it is. I hope they don't have any motor problems! It does look like it sits a little high in your pic! How do you like the shocks? Will they need replacing for MX to compete?Probabley a dumb question. Ofcourse! right?
Could you take the airbox lid off and take a pic of the airfilter? Is it the traditional clamp style or some unsuspecting type? They won't be for sale around here until Monday!:( I hope this new quad isn't a dissapointment. How did you get yours a couple of weeks ago? Do you work for Suzuki? How would you rate this compaired to you 250R?

I still want one, a white and blue like yours! Nice Bike!

370kingR
02-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by DezSled
Its just beeoaching about it King. Resistance to change. It is heavy, but it does haul butt.
RM throttle, kill button, start button work on the LT-R?
Going to adapt these lights, anyone know the stator output? Not in the owners manual.

Whew...i was getting nervous DezSled. I have one on order that will be in any day and i traded my beloved honda for it :( Last thing i need is to go backwards. Im also a recreational rider where you guys are out there seriously performing on them squezzing everything they got out of it.

The 250r will be in my mind the best quad ever...built ALOT of nice fast 250r's in the day. If they sold them brand new id buy it in a second.

Goodluck racing it and we appreciate all the feedback and pictures!

walty
02-05-2006, 08:54 AM
plastics off

can you take a pics w/o the plastic on the battery box,i want to see what it look like , because i want to relocate it if possible but i need to know what is behind!!!!please

AL Elks
02-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Hey DezSled!

Curious as to what this connector is for.

http://WWW.POSTNETLNC.COM/Z400/LTRStuff/Connector.jpg

I'm assuming its for re-mapping the EFI. Can you confirm or deny?

DezSled
02-05-2006, 11:57 AM
The stock rims & tires will go into storage for when I resell the quad. The stock shocks have a nice range of adjustment, as it came oft the showroom floor it was way firm. Rear shock has high/low speed adjusters that actually work. The fronts don't have quite the same range and no high/low adjuster only a single stage adjuster w/ rebound also. I still need to adjust the spring preload. They aren't bad when compared to Elka Elites. I'm not going right out to replace them.
The air filter is abit dirty and is held in with one bolt/screw. The bike revs abit quicker w/ the lid off too.

DezSled
02-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I didn't clean it as well as I should have, but heres a battery box pic.

DezSled
02-05-2006, 12:22 PM
That plug connected to the rear brake/taillight. I didn't want to cut into the wiring loom to remove that part of it incase I needed to put it back on. The dealer said that remapping the EFI for a new pipe fan be done.
No I don't work for Suzuki, the dealer said I was the first person to put a deposit on a LT-R back on 11/5/05. I received a call from them on 1/26/06 at noon, so after work I went to take a look. I originally wanted a yellow one, but after seeing the white one I couldm't resist.
Here's what I removed to lighten the load. Headlight & mounts, taillight & mount, rear brake pedal brakelight contact & spring, front brake disc guards, handlebar dash board/ warning lights, and those huge dumbo ear footguards ( they only weigh about two pounds tho). All in all about 5 lbs shed off.

badvox
02-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Here's what I removed to lighten the load. Headlight & mounts, taillight & mount, rear brake pedal brakelight contact & spring, front brake disc guards, handlebar dash board/ warning lights, and those huge dumbo ear footguards ( they only weigh about two pounds tho). All in all about 5 lbs shed off. [/B]

Wow why would you take the lights off? All the cdale owners want the dash light kit and here you have a nice one and you took it off?

DezSled
02-05-2006, 01:07 PM
You have a good point there. But the dash only clips on (no bolts/screws to hold it on), and the indicator lights signify neutral gear selection, coolant temperature/FI system failure, and fuel indicator. The last one is the only reason I'd keep it on the bike since there is no petcock to turn to reserve.

readybeartoe
02-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I was told that 250R aftermarket A-ARMS (with some adjustments) would fit a "LTZ400"???

Now for the $3,000 Dollar Question: Since you have a modified 250R can you look and do some measuring to determine if we will be able to use our old AFTERMARKET Longtravel Front Ends(A-Arms and Shocks). I have some MONEY, MONEY, in my front ends and that's one of the reasons why I won't get a New Quad yet! But if You can use the 250R stuff that would be SHWEET!

What length are the stock shocks on it now???

Thanks for being so helpfull to us all!!!

DezSled
02-05-2006, 08:54 PM
The LT-R450 frame distance between a-arm mounts (outside to outside) is 11 1/4" where the TRX250R is 10". The stock front shocks are 17" eye to eye, where the Elkas are 19 1/4". Maybe the LTZ400 frame is closer in dimensions to the TRX, but not even close to the LT-R.

jfarrar30
02-06-2006, 05:57 AM
what offset wheels do you have on the front and what is the overall width with them if you dont mind?im wanting to order wheels but do not have my quad yet and wanna make sure i stay legal

OKTRX450R
02-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Great information DezSled...thank you for your time!

DezSled
02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Your all welcome, I don't mind answering any questions if I can. I'm hoping someone can answer mine about the LT-R450 starter button to RMZ450 changeover. If it can even be done. I'd like to dump the cluttered stock perch for a simple cr250/rm250 clutch perch & kill button.
The rims in the pic are 3/2 offset, 3 on the lugnut side 2 on the hub side. As for the width with those rims, at full droop (no load/tires off the ground) it is 50 1/4" wide. Out side of tire to outside.

readybeartoe
02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
If you dump the stock starter buttun, won't you still need a seperate switch to run those bajah lights? Or will you dump lights all together?

How Do the brakes feel compared to the 250r's? Aren't the LTR450's brakes single pistons?

It looks like you sit on top of it instead of in it. (kind of like the YFZ) Hey could you get a pic of you or someone about 180lbs sitting on it to show us how much the stock shocks sag?

Also i have a 2001 GSXR 1000 with FI. When I put a Yoshi slip on can on it I was suppose to remap it or maybe get a "power comander" but It runs good enough for my riding. Inside the stock pipe is a choke valve for bottom end power. It looked just like a choke in a carb. Do you think the LTZ has something like that in it? Probably not, but after installing the Yoshi, the directions told me to disable it (unplug wire) so it would stay open.
Anyway! Have you checked on the price of the Yoshi pipe, and the "power comander"or "upgrade kit" or what ever Suzuki is calling it. I think that's what Team Suzuki is holding in the press pics on "This site" Check in the race coverage for the 1st round at Glenn Hellan. i'm sure you have already! LOL! Man I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg! How much did you have to give for your bike? My dealer here told me today that they won't have them until March!!!!
:grr:

jamiesel
02-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Do you see any clearance issues with usinf a 4-1 offset on the front rims?

readybeartoe
02-06-2006, 11:35 PM
The rims in the pic are 3/2 offset, 3 on the lugnut side 2 on the hub side. As for the width with those rims, at full droop (no load/tires off the ground) it is 50 1/4" wide. Out side of tire to outside

You are talking about this pic right?

BSTURDIVANT
02-07-2006, 01:51 PM
You should be able to use a kill switch from a kawasaki- it's 2 wire N/O switch. WE used them on the 400EX all the time!
Just trace the wires in the original switch that go to the start button and tie in down the harness!
Just make sure that it doesn't go through the kill switch like the Z400 and eliminate all other "so called" safety switches such as tieing the clutch switch together.

LTZ400ApK
02-07-2006, 04:20 PM
i used a Yz250 kill switch for a start button on my Z400, as for the "Safety" features you need to find out if its a open or closed circut, just use a Flukes meter to find out ,thats what i did, i would think just about any clutch lever assylembly would work.....

Nice pics still waiting on mine here in FL,its driving me Crazy!!!!

What bars did you try and put on? i got a set of pro taper CR-hi's w/clamp adaptor sitting here waiting on the quad

DezSled
02-07-2006, 11:04 PM
There is no 'choke valve' in the exhaust system that I can tell. No mechanical mechanism that operate it to be seen. Triple light setup wiring will be hot all the time and a inline fuse will be used along with separate sealed switches for each light. Yes the rims pictured are the ones that I measured at 50 1/4" w/ 3-2 offset. I don't see any clearance issues w/ 4/1 offset rims. The 3/2 offset rims expose the brake calipers to more damage tho.
Thanks for the kill button info, but what brand of starter button and what make? I agree any brand clutch perch would work. The stock LT-R steering stem has the ability to have the bar clamps replaced (they are bolt on like stock TRX250R stem) w/ a different arrangement like 1 1/8" ones for pro tapers. But not the anti vibe type like the aftermarket stems. I returned the TAG bars for another 7/8" pair of TAGs w/ a lower rise. They did work w/ the short front brake hose. I usually run cr-hi pro taper bars too.
I DO appreciate the help from all of you, as I am a 2 stroke rider from way back ('78 Suzuki RM125C, '84 Kawasaki KXT250A1, '85 Honda ATC250R, '87 Honda TRX250R, '04 Roll Lobo II TRX250R) with no applicable knowledge of four strokes.
RMZ450 start button interchangable w/ LT-R450?

BSTURDIVANT
02-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Any Kawasaki kill switch from the kx65 on up will work for the start button. If your brake line is too tight, extend it where it bolts up at the stem clamp. Make the bends more suttle to gain height and use a aluminum strap with 2 holes (one tapped to fit the bolt) to extend it.

doc-bones
02-08-2006, 06:35 AM
I finally got rid of my Full Walsh /Axis long travel Cr500 Link/ Sparks 350PV for a Long travel 523 YFZ and I must agree.... These 4 strokes have torque, however much heavier and definitely not as comfortable or as good handling. I miss my R already!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 strokes have gotten better, don`t hang up the 2 strokes just yet!!

DOCBONES

DezSled
02-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Wow, I didn't think that a normal kill button would work for the starter button. Thanks for the info. There is also a manual choke lever right next to the starter button/kill switch/ headlight switch that routes downward that I'm gong to investigate about removing. The stock grips were glued on, so I used air pressure to pop em off.
The front brake line is like the trx250r in that it has a hardline routed just below the plastic hood. Great idea about using a strap to relocate the rubber hose/ hardline junction. Just need to adjust the bends in the hardline to raise the junction block upward. That will make the stock line seem longer. Still will get an aftermarket brake line to remove the stock mounts & metal fittings in the hose. Again Thanks for all the input.

readybeartoe
02-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I have "kind of" the same choke lever on my Fuel Injected Gixxer 1000. I thought that was kind of weird for FI to have a "choke" but when I popped up my gas tank and looked at it, there's really nothing to it. It's more like a idle choke, all it did was hold the throttle open for me at about 2500rpm until I decided it was warm enough. I only used it for COLD COLD starts and in a hurry to get to work or on the road! When it Wasn't too cold outside, without using it, I could just whipp the throttle a few times and it was good to go. During cooler weather when I used the "choke" if I forgot to put the lever back, the bike would remind me at the next stop sign (if I wasn't paying attention) that it was at normal operating Temperature 180 degrees(I also have a temp gauge on the instument cluster). You still can control RPM's with the throttle so I don't think you will HAVE TO HAVE IT. You'll just have to play with the throttle the first time you start it that day until it's warm, then your off to the races!!!:D

The only reason why I went into detail was b/c you said you were new to 4-strokes. So everyone else can ignor this.

DezSled
02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Well my experience w/ 4 strokes was a friends 350x at Buttercup way back when. So info like that helps seriously (thanks), since the dealers parts manager said he couldn't get a service manual when I got the LT-R (no part # yet). I won't say that 4 strokes are complicated, its just that the 250r is so simple. A plug change takes a minute on that bike but you better have some time to do one on the LT-R (gotta pull all the plastic and the fuel tank). Pic is the hardware that holds the f & r plastic.
I seen the dirtwheels article on team suzukis Gust & Jones, in there it said that dry weight is 400 lbs. After tilting it up on the grab bar I believe it. Must be the fuel pump, oil tank, battery, starter that adds up. Think I will look into the kick starter option. After reading another thread I'm going to pull the pea shooter and fit a different SA screen ( 31 to 39 hp nice!), add the cherry bomb for another 1 + hp not bad.

walty
02-09-2006, 07:55 PM
can you tell me or show me a close pics of the "anti-vibe stem"
i got my ltr-450 on monday and i dont have ANY kind of rubbers in mine (like roll desing as!!)
mine is metal to metal:confused:

DezSled
02-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Didn't mean to confuse anyone. I meant that the LT-R stem is similar to the trx250r in that the bar clamps bolt on. No anti vibe stem on the stock LT-R.

walty
02-09-2006, 10:32 PM
sorry dez..you did not confuse me , the thing is ...at the montreal show i saw with my own eyes an anti-vide stem, plus in a few post people were saying they saw that stem, and at least in the french version(haven't seen the english yet) suzuki mention an anti vide stem.....can you give me a close up pics of yours, just below thw handle bar mounting bracket???

DezSled
02-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Anti vibe stem comes on a stock LT-R in France? Well hey they get to ride on the streets somewhere over there too.

readybeartoe
02-10-2006, 03:54 AM
Hey Dez,

I wonder how much it ACTUAL weighs,.. ya know? I wouldn't be suprized if they lied in the mags. Do you have 4 seperate "bathroom" scales to put under each wheel and add the total together for the ACTUAL TOTAL weight? Maybe you could borrow a couple from your fiends for this experiment? Either Dry or Wet, It might be Very Interesting!:eek2:

I wish I had one to tincker with!!!:(

:D

370kingR
02-10-2006, 04:12 AM
Didn't mean to confuse anyone. I meant that the LT-R stem is similar to the trx250r in that the bar clamps bolt on. No anti vibe stem on the stock LT-R.

What do you mean no anti vibe stem Dezsled? This is a picture of the bike at the show i went to 3 weeks ago. Isnt that an anti vibe stem?

But if its not they sure fooled me. I thought i even saw rubber under there when i looked, perhaps all the hot poon tang that was there had me a bit dizzy....lol

DezSled
02-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey I got jipped. That sure looks like a anti vibe set up to me. I don't think they will give me my money back for a full refund. Maybe if I gripe about it during the initial check up and show them your pic? JK, this bike isn't bad at all. Lots of potential. I went to the dealer (this dealer was too busy to even talk to me, so I went to the next closest suzuki dealer) that is close to me and the guy behind the counter said that they are receiving them in quantities of 4 at a time. No longer do they get them in larger batches like they used to. Also said that the first one sold for $10,000 + , and flew out the first hour on display. It appears that they are holding them back to create a demand for them, so they can keep prices high. bogus

DezSled
02-11-2006, 01:01 AM
talked to a mechanic today to get some feedback on the throttle replacement. $70 to do the labor plus the throttle kit needed. So I figured that would purchase the kit, so why not remove the thumb assembly & cable myself. It's not rocket science.

DezSled
02-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Its the carb right side cover holding the cable, its out of focus

DezSled
02-11-2006, 01:08 AM
cable is the silver part in the middle of the pic

DezSled
02-11-2006, 01:09 AM
carb sidecover removed. The owners manual is kinda vague on descriptions, and only drawings. Have a fire extinguisher available b/c even tho you drain the tank it still leaks all over the place.

DezSled
02-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Need to lighten this porker even more

DezSled
02-11-2006, 01:22 AM
cutting the fat off

readybeartoe
02-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Why are you replacing the stock throttle assembly? Is it hard on your thumb or do you just like twist throttles? :)

DezSled
02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I find it works better for myself. Dealing with arm pump is bad enough, and sure whiskey throttle can happen. But if you relax its not a problem. In '84 the Kawasaki KXT250A1 Tecate came stock w/ a twist throttle. So I've learned to like them. In a races like Barstow to Vegas/Nevada 500/Great Mojave 250 my thumb would have fallen off before the first pit. I can't think of any professional off road racers that run a thumb throttle.

DezSled
02-11-2006, 04:19 PM
The Yoshimura Cherry Bomb showed up. The plug from the factory has nothing attached to it, the cherry bomb just plugs into the factory plug. Simple as that, it takes longer to find a zip tie to secure the unit ( instructions say that a zip tie is supplied with the cherry bomb but I couldn't find it).

AceLtz
02-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Looks good so far. ive been reading this thread to find any cool things i could learn about. Along with the cherry bomb i picked up a yoshimura exhaust. Thier not released yet but its one of the benefits of being 10 minutes away from thier main assembly plant. :)

i looked for that zip tye also taht supposedly came with the cherry bomb, couldnt find it :blah:

DezSled
02-11-2006, 07:14 PM
The parking brake perch removes from the clutch perch, bravo suzuki. More weight lost.

DezSled
02-11-2006, 07:18 PM
OK so far chucked the pea shooter, frisbeed the air box lid, slapped on the cherry bomb, put on a pair of decent bars, added normal trail sized tire/rims 22" 20" f&r , put in VP racegas... I'm impressed by how fast it revs out. I think I will wait for some proof that a pipe is that much better, b/c it wheelies easily the first through fourth on asphalt w/ stock gearing. If it pulls a fifth gear wheelie w/ a pipe I'm there. But as it is my wife was scared she would loop it. I gotta admit it smokes my 250R (ported/19cc head/turner eliminator pipe/'86 cr250 silencer/39pwk 60pilot 180main DGH needle 6.0 slide/14x37/22" 20" tires) darn it.
I'm sold it is the future, Its fast. Now how do I get it to Jenny Craig...

jfarrar30
02-11-2006, 07:53 PM
lmao thats funny my buddy and i were looking for the ziptie in my package too.lol.i want a refund

spudss
02-12-2006, 06:59 AM

I'm sold it is the future, Its fast. Now how do I get it to Jenny Craig...

LMAO..

So did you change your gearing when you went to 20" rears???

walty
02-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by spudss
LMAO..

So did you change your gearing when you went to 20" rears???

i just installed a set of 4snow tires (22")in the back and i change the 14T front sprocket for 13T (z400) in it was still too tall i would of need a 12T bike feels good but lacking a bit of power compare to stock(peashooter,lid off)

but my calculation tells me a 13T with my 20" holeshots are gona be VERY close to the stock gearing (14T+36T and 18")

i rode the bike yesterday at -10celcius and when you get of the throttle the motor back fire ALOT!!!!!!:mad: WARNING this motor is very lean for cold weather riding!!!

DezSled
02-12-2006, 10:42 PM
After going to an area a friend described as similar to riding over Mike's Sky Rancho, I found it to be very tractible. Not alot of wheelspin like a 2 stroke.
But it still is heavy, the lobo II 250r is still a way better handling machine. I'm sure I would be more able to mount an attack at the end of a GP on the 250r.The shocks are okay, but it feels like the footpegs are to far forward or the steering stem is angled back to much. Or maybe it needs 1 - 1 1/2" forward a arms or maybe a slightly shorter swingarm to get the center of balance more rearward, so it feels like it kicks abit (even after playing w/ the rear hi/lo adjusters). or or or............ But remember that is one 2 stroke Desert persons ride opinion to be taken with a 1/2 grain of salt.
Ride safe.

readybeartoe
02-13-2006, 01:29 AM
After going to an area a friend described as similar to riding over Mike's Sky Rancho, I found it to be very tractible. Not alot of wheelspin like a 2 stroke.
But it still is heavy, the lobo II 250r is still a way better handling machine. I'm sure I would be more able to mount an attack at the end of a GP on the 250r.The shocks are okay, but it feels like the footpegs are to far forward or the steering stem is angled back to much. Or maybe it needs 1 - 1 1/2" forward a arms or maybe a slightly shorter swingarm to get the center of balance more rearward, so it feels like it kicks abit (even after playing w/ the rear hi/lo adjusters). or or or............ But remember that is one 2 stroke Desert persons ride opinion to be taken with a 1/2 grain of salt.
Ride safe.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Does it feel cramped? After riding the 250R so long, are you still trying to shift into 6th gear?:blah: LOL! I have a 425 EX and always wish it had another gear. That's why I like the R so much! Plus the weight factor and the free feeling of the 2-stroke without engine braking. I race MX so I really never need 6th gear but I was wondering how it feels to you. Is it geared to your liking??? for GP?

Oh Yeah! Have you jumped it? Like 30 to 60 feet yet???:confused:

DezSled
02-13-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm stoked at how the LT-R accelerates out of the hole. It carries the weight well when on the gas. When cornering it lets the rear end drift out abit much to my liking. but remember that is only one persons ride impression. On a 250r '86-7 we would modify the peg mounts back 1", '88-9 we would run '86-7 pegs to get the same result along w/ shorting the shifter & brake pedal on all years of Rs. This would help w/ the center of weight distribution torwards a rearward bias. Gaining more traction and more control of how the rear suspension reacts. I haven't measured yet but I can bet that the distance from the pegs to the rear tire is more on the LT-R, and the rake of the steering stem is more also. Contributing to the feeling that the attack position isn't optimum for my style. Don't get me wrong I will work on remedying my feelings w/ a off set steering stem plus adding a third rung on the stock pegs to let me hang off the back w/ more control. And as I have stated I am from the old school. I am not giving up on this machine as it has a great powerband, it is new and in need of some modifications imo. I am only looking to imitate the riding position that makes me feel comfortable at speed. I invite others to contribute their opinions after riding this new and incredible machine.

AceLtz
02-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I made a little review here after a day of riding it.
i copied it froma thread i made at an unmentioned LTR site because i guess i cant make links to it.

Ok i took the LTR to Cathedral city for the day to get it broken in and go riding with some friends. I was very happy with it except for one thing. The rear tires. They totally suck for anything but an mx track. Cathedral city is a mix of gravel, dirt, and hard sand and they could get any traction. And best of all, after i really started to ride the ltr after the break in i popped the rear right tire. I put a nice gash near the inside sidewall so i dunno what im planning on doing next. OK on to the review..

Motor: During break in it felt good but i held myself back from the higher rpms and cruised around for a couple hours. After when i started doing high speed runs up some hills it felt really good. I just wish i had some bigger tires because on fast take offs theyd start to dig a hole. I never really rode it with the stock exhaust but the yoshimura sounded good and gave great power. Ill be taking a trip to glamis this weekend where ill have paddles and really lay the power to the ground.

Suspension: im only 130lbs so for somone heavier i know the suspension would feel a little better. I adjusted it to my weight and i was very happy with it. going over whoops and bumps the rear felt great but the fronts were pretty stiff. Over some small jumps the landings felt great. With a rebuild possibly on the front shocks and some more adjusting on the rear it would be a lot better.

i didnt have any problems out riding. No malfunctions of any kind. After this weekend ill post some more results of drag races up Oldsmobile hill if you guys are interested.

willow2679
02-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Wow nice quad!!
Very good info too
what steering stabilizer did you always use (I´m asking for the model of vw one you took them off)

DezSled
02-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately there just isn't enough room around the stem to attach the vw stabilizer and have it work effectively. Sorry for any inconvience this may have caused anyone. The Gibson or Denton rebuildable stabilizer is what I am now looking into. The mount on the body is adjustable (making it able to fit into the tight confines around the stem/radiator/electricals) making the way it mounts shorter. If anyone already has done this post pics please.
At the moment a Motion Pro preproduction throttle assembly (beta unit ) is on its way for fitment and basic testing. The stock throttle cable has a metal elbow in it that has a 55 degree angle, but Motion Pro (Larry Thank You) has sent out a 70 degree one that he had in stock for testing purposes. I assure you that I will post details when I recieve the beta unit in the next day or so I was told.
In the future I will be modifying the swing arm to mount up a reliable strong skid plate as the stocker isn't up to the task of protecting the sprocket and brake disc (as is the case w/ all sport atvs). Pic is an example idea (bottom is 1/2" thick- two 1/4" plates formed together).

DezSled
02-15-2006, 08:43 PM
another pic

DezSled
02-15-2006, 08:46 PM
here it is, 1/2" gussets weld to the swingarm to mount the skidplate

02-15-2006, 10:08 PM
The Gibson or Denton rebuildable stabilizer is what I am now looking into.

I have a Precision stabilizer on order(2-3 weeks). Between the Precision and my Flexx bars my new LTR should be comfortable and smooth. Its a shame to be first on the list and still not have the quad but have aftermarket parts piling up. Anyway I'll post some results on the damper after I test it.

DezSled
02-16-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm sure there are quite afew people that would like to hear about your setup. So would I, looking forward to your post.
I hope to hear from others about their setups too. As to what works and what doesn't. Back when I was racing alot I made it a point to check out other racers setups and their ideas to see if I could improve on anothers design concept.
Necessity breeds innovation, innovation requires testing, racing is a great way to test. Ride safe

willow2679
02-16-2006, 05:52 AM
I asked about the S Stem because I have a banshe and would like to try it on it not because I have a suki (I wish it though :D )
I was reading all I can about the new quad because I like informative post like this an found something that can go on my quad too thanks!
Is a realy good post this one

DezSled
02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
For the banshee the right front lower motor mount requires a small 90 degree bracket (its a tight fit) to mount the body of the stabilizer and weld on a mount for the stem for the chrome rod end. use a transporter vw stabilizer , cut off the vw stock mount on the chromed rod and thread it for a small heim joint. walllaa no more flop in the rough.

Skidplate ideas - 'afew swingarm skidplates' in the trx250r thread.

willow2679
02-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Sorry if I get out of topic you can pm me if you want but I have an old pep stabilizer maybe I can adapt the mounting things to them

Thank you very much!

dober250R
02-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Very good informational thread, but I have a question. If a motor is fuel injected, how can there be a carburetor? Dont they just have a throttle body on it?

DezSled
02-17-2006, 08:46 PM
? on what ??

readybeartoe
02-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Its the carb right side cover holding the cable, its out of focus

I think he means this??? He's just poking at you.??? :p

DezSled
02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Did I type carb.... I meant afterburner

jlm996s
02-18-2006, 04:38 AM
Do you have pics of this VW Stabilizer and where to get one? I wonder if it could be modified to fit a 450r?

DezSled
02-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Economical stabilizer probably $25.00 tops, Kragens, Auto Zone, NAPA can order them.
Ram Industries from the 80's used to make them for all atcs tecates 250rs. The $450.00 for the precision stabilizer would pay for almost 3 tires worth of tire balls. I have no doubt that any high $ stabilizer GPR ,WER, Scotts are way better. I have used the vw unit and can't complain. It's all in what your used to.

DezSled
02-18-2006, 07:38 PM
another one

DezSled
02-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Fast Forward racing stem clamp on mount

z400clone
02-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Dez,

I have been reading and keeping up with your thread, eagerly awaiting new posts from you. I am glad to hear that you are convinced that the new thumpers are quick. I have a 250R as well and really like the stance, ride and overall feel of it. To have a thumper that is close to the same feel of the R would be great. Please continue to post up info and pics as you find new ways to make this LTR better. Your testing and posting of your findings is much appreciated!

BigAl
02-19-2006, 09:35 AM
This is great stuff dez.....good to see real info instead of kids blubbering.

An option for your VW stabilizer is to mount the the big end to your bumper, that is how I got mine onto my yfz...I'll look for a pic.

Do you run a tether kill switch? If so you wold only need one kill switch for a starter button...one word of caution on those MX bike kill switches is that some are not really sealed and can cause shorting or other problems in wet conditions....not much of a problem in the dez though eh? ;)

BigAl
02-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Here is an old pic before the stabilizer was mounted, the bracket circled in yellow is where I bolted it too, it allows for more room in there where it is already tight.

jlm996s
02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Great info guys...keep it up! When asking for a VW Stabilizer, is there any special year I would need to ask about?

LTZ400ApK
02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
my precision stabilizer should be here middle of next week ill post how well i like it,It was kinda hard to pay 450 for a stabilizer i hope it was worth it....

kids on quads
02-19-2006, 01:00 PM
what twist throttle did you use.

DezSled
02-19-2006, 02:14 PM
The stabilizer should be close to 90 degrees off the steering shaft, which is why they are usually mounted to the rear (as in the third stabilizer pic). Any year vw transporter or beetle works as far as i know, I used a '70 b/c I had one. Post how that precision unit works out & get some pics. The throttle hasn't shown up yet...suppose to be a motion pro 'cr'.

BigAl
02-19-2006, 05:04 PM
'71 super beetle has a 3/8 threaded sleeve on it.

But it runs vertical, so depending on how your hiem joints work out it can be handy.

Dez, mine runs straight out the front, at close to 90 degrees.

DezSled
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Sounds like you have yours all worked out Al, any pics of it w/ stabilizer installed? Got me thinking about it.
Thanks all for the kind words on this thread, I'm just an enthusiast that likes to make things for my bikes when I can. Some work some don't (like that pic of a boat anchor of a skidpan next to the stocker what was i thinking). So if you have ideas on mods I like to see/hear about them.

willow2679
02-20-2006, 07:47 AM
thanks for the pics! what is this last picture? a quad? it looks strange with that detachable stem but it looks an aftermarket frame to me

BTW I had a friend with a bmx bike that had the frame with out any paint only the welds and some clear coat and it looked real good like this one you have I always thought about doing it to my quad but by sanding it it doesn`t keep the welds in the metal joints like I want

DezSled
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
The Motion Pro throttle kit showed up while I was out in Plaster City West. Getting to ride in a Class 5 Baja Bug and jet checking the Roll bike, but thats another story.

Heres a letter thats self explanitory(sp?) to make this thread abit more believable. Larry/ Motion Pro Thank You Very Much. I will put it to good use.

DezSled
02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Motion Pro kit on the right

DezSled
02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I haven't found a service manual yet, but heres a site that has the parts #s & part break downs for the LT-R:

alpha-sports.com lots of the parts haven't any prices yet tho

DezSled
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Here's the Motion Pro CR throttle installed. Larry you were correct on your recommendations for the quarter turn throttle. As the pics show it's still alot less of a turn than 90 degrees. The Vortex throttle would have made it a light switch.

Thank You Motion Pro for giving me the opportunity to help out w/ your throttle kit for the Suzuki LT-R450 QuadRacer!

DezSled
02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Turned to full throttle. The 70 degree bend in the cable elbow is not a problem either. Stock cable has a 55 degree bend in the elbow.

DezSled
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Motion Pro 70 degree elbow cable installed

AceLtz
02-21-2006, 07:41 PM
so when will these be for sale? do you know? i need to get rid of the stock throttle. My thumb is dead after long rides

AL Elks
02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
That's one of the first things I notice about the throttle. I never had a problem with the Z. I'm going to have to find a way to soften this thing up.

DezSled
02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
The thumb throttle is actually very soft on the LT-R ever ride a banshee? My wife didn't even mind.

Contact Larry S. at Motion Pro 650-594-9600
Tell him you saw a beta kit on this thread. The cable is off the shelf I believe & the throttle is too.

AL Elks
02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
The thumb throttle is actually very soft on the LT-R ever ride a banshee? My wife didn't even mind.

Contact Larry S. at Motion Pro 650-594-9600
Tell him you saw a beta kit on this thread. The cable is off the shelf I believe & the throttle is too.

Yea compared to a Banshee you're right but compared to my Z after a short time riding my thumb is killing me.

DezSled
02-23-2006, 07:34 PM
It was bound to happen sooner or later, but the stock skidplates are way underengineered imo. The disc got smacked and the chain guide and the chain skidder mount bent. This is after on the trail repairs were made, but they are both bent in different directions. Chain guide got smacked to the left and the skidder is bent to the right.

DezSled
02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Danage even after being careful since I knew better

DezSled
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Disc only needed alittle filing to repair

spudss
02-23-2006, 07:40 PM
OUCH.. I hope AC or someone gets some skids out quickly

readybeartoe
02-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I thought you were going to make a skid for it yourself... ???

How fast were you going and what did you hit?

Did the impact damage any other part of the bike??? frame tabs? crack swingarm? shock mounts? etc...?:uhoh:

DezSled
02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Still need to make a cardboard mock up to check clearances. Then onto removing the stock mount on the chain side, and fabricating a longitudinal steel gusset that fits on the underside of the swingarm to mount the .125" 4130 chrome moly plate skidder. I could use .250 t-6 aluminum plate but the heat treating is cheaper using steel. Heres are some aluminum pieces that I might work with. No major damage to anything happened (nicked the rear disc), but did get three flats hitting something tapped out in fifth beadsavers did their job.

jfarrar30
02-24-2006, 07:10 PM
dez you ever figure out how to get around the stock light/kill/start swith?i see team suzuki just has a start button on theres.wondering how they did the choke

DezSled
02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Recieved the service manual today. The parts manager says that remapping can be done using genuine suzuki equipment readily available from the dealer. Don't know any costs tho. I just got it so I haven't even read it yet.
Dealer also said that the drz dual sport has a kill switch/starter button combo that is a clean installation. Way more sano than using two kill buttons.

walty
02-25-2006, 07:09 AM
do you have the part number for the shop manuel...my dealer cant find it
thank for ALL the info:D

DezSled
02-25-2006, 10:34 AM
The P/N for the service manual is: 99500-44060-03E The dealer is checking for compatabilty of the RMZ kick starter parts change over also.
Engine FI Mapping info

DezSled
02-25-2006, 10:48 AM
More info

I'm not able to fool the various sensors to increase the injector volume, so looks like cha ching for one of those plug in modules.

Mike[socal]
02-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Could you put a resistor inline with one of those sensors(probably air intake) and fool it into putting in more fuel(and possibly timing)? This is common with the mustang crowd.

Which 450?
02-26-2006, 03:01 PM
plastics off

can someone tell me what that black box between the radiator and the engine is? Looks like it has a panel that opens up?

spudss
02-26-2006, 05:01 PM
That is a battery box..

Which 450?
02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by spudss
That is a battery box.. Wow, a battery up front

jlm996s
02-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Dezsled, do you have deminsions for that VW stabilizer?

benbuilt4u
02-27-2006, 12:21 PM
dezsled, what does it say for clutch adjustment in the factory manual. im having issues with my adjustment cable somehow after riding for an hour got to tight and i had to loosen it. wonder what the book says.

thanks

LuckyOxygen
02-27-2006, 06:30 PM
So what handlebars did u end up getting? I think you said it in here but i couldnt find it? I rolled mine pretty bad and bent the bars....:(

DezSled
02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
The resistor trick sounds like great idea, gotta check that out.
Dimensions for the vw stabilizer is 11 5/8" body length (from the seal end to the very end of the mount) I don't know the exact length extended b/c I cut off the end for the heim joint.
The bars are TAG X5.
As for clutch adjustment here it is

LuckyOxygen
02-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Dont they have to be a low bend though?

benbuilt4u
02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by LuckyOxygen
Dont they have to be a low bend though?

i put on henry/reed bend pro tapers and didnt need to modify anything. but i did raise the brake line 1/2in.

THANKS for the info on adjustment somehow mine tightened up to the point it didnt engage then i had to completely readjust the cable. hoping its not internal. does the book have pics of the clutch basket?

thanks

DezSled
02-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Someone I talked w/ let me know that I probably have infringed on copyright laws already, so I better not post any more of the manual. So I would suggest that anyone that has the LT-R this manual is a MUST have. Its three times thicker than a trx250r service manual, and is very informative.

ShiftRacr400
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
where did you get the manual from?

DezSled
02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Order it through your local suzuki dealers parts dept. Back up afew posts for the part #

MXracer16
03-02-2006, 04:03 PM
If you want to get longer brake lines now, you can. Here (http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469)

DezSled
03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
HMF website didn't list the LT-R or trx250r. Thanks for trying tho

readybeartoe
03-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by MXracer16
If you want to get longer brake lines now, you can. Here (http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469)

Good Info but, How much will it cost for each of "their" slip on, mapper thingermajiggy, and header pipe just to "tap the power" already in the LTR 450???

Suzuki should have had all this come with the bike to be "TRUELY RACE READY", out of the box like they faulsly advertised. Hell, I could race my John Deer for that matter. I could raise my cutting deck to the highest position to use as nerfbars!:D

bwamos
03-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by readybeartoe
Suzuki should have had all this come with the bike to be "TRUELY RACE READY", out of the box like they faulsly advertised. Hell, I could race my John Deer for that matter. I could raise my cutting deck to the highest position to use as nerfbars!:D

The can't legaly sell a 100% race ready quad. They have to meet EPA Emmisions of less than 1.5g/km of HC+NOx( Hydrocarbons and Nitrous Oxides) and cannot excede certian decible limits. That's why they choke off the exhaust with the removable restrictor, and have an EPA map that is switchable to an unrestricted map w/o the restrictor and airbox lid. They made the drivetrain as close to race ready as they legaly could.

Unplug the restrictor, remove the lid, and add a resistor, and you have a stock quad that is more race ready than any stock atv ever made.

MXracer16
03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
HMF website didn't list the LT-R or trx250r. Thanks for trying tho

Did you try calling them? It says about half way down that they were availible now.

DezSled
03-03-2006, 07:07 PM
No I didn'[t think of giving them a call. I'll have to give em a try. Usually theres Earl's supply off convoy that makes them up custom. But if their price is competitive I'd probably buy them. But if the price is marked up ... well you know......
Bear your sounding kinda teed off, turn key race ready ? Your not asking for a whole lot are ya? Do what all racers do prep it your self, then you have a great sense of satisfaction of a job well done when you get a good finish.
How about taking a picture of your problem so others can see it also. Seems like there are alot of thread jockies around here that spout alot of stuff but with no pictures it seems like alot of hot air.
Do they even have a quad/racebike? A picture is worth a thousand words.

readybeartoe
03-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Sorry Dez, I'm just frustrated... that's all. This extra stuff I need to actually "RACE" the LT450R is just ticking me off. Just hot air tho.

I just won't be able to race the LT450R at the GNC Nationals at rounds 3 or 4 because I have NO Nerfbars and I won't get them in time for the races.

I actually have 3 NICE "Race Ready" quads I have already built.

So I'll just shut up and race one of them.:ermm: just not in the production Classes.

DezSled
03-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey good luck in your racing. No one wants to see another have bad luck especially when racing. Supposed to be fun.

I made sure and purchased the extended warranty w/ the LT-R b/c it was a first year model. I hope to be fortunate enough to not have problems like what you have been describing. I have hammered mine last two times out.

San Felipe 250 is in afew weeks so I haven't been able to do anything to the LT-R for the district 38 race tomorrow. A friends' racing a class 12 and a class 5 so I have been alittle busy. I hope to get pics/results from Adelanto soon.

BSTURDIVANT
03-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Hans delivered the quad to us in Fl. but we didn't have time to set up for racing! Nerfs didn't make it in and we just ran out of time! We did get a chance to " seat of the pants" dyno it after they worked on it and you can definately feel A BIG DIFFERENCE OVER SPARKY REMOVED AND CHERRY BOMB ADDED!

Hans said the dyno would show about 5 to 6 HP more with slicks!

DezSled
03-07-2006, 10:40 PM
#1 stock 30-31 hp
#2 airbox lid off 32 hp
#3 sparky removed w/ lid off 38hp
#4 lid off, sparky removed, yoshi cherry bomb 39 +hp
correct the above if I'm mistaken

With your modifications your getting an extra 5-6 hp on top of that?

I haven't seen the results w/ the yoshimura pipe yet w/ #4 mods done.

readybeartoe
03-08-2006, 01:22 AM
It's funny how alot of people go by what they are told, especially by listening to the people that are trying to sell them "their" product.

I was told by the "dealer" with the yoshi and all "your" mods it would put it at 50hp.

Actual rear wheel HP will be a less on a dyno. I would trust HMF's outputs. They seem to me the most honest just because they said "Their header will put out just a 1/2 hp more than the stock." Others will say 2-3 more hp. :rolleyes:

AceLtz
03-08-2006, 09:45 AM
actually no. I went to yoshimuras r&d and assembly plant here and they told me 3-4 hp gain above the #4 mods. I really believe that because my ltr feels way better than a stock one.'

People have said 50hp.....but thats at the crank. Actual rwhp will be less. with the pipe and chrry it should be right around 43-44.

03-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Power loss an atv from crankshaft to rear wheels is usually 10-15%. So if for the sake of arguement with the baffle/lid off and Cb you are at 40 RWHP and full Yosh adds another 3 and Yosh PIM adds .5 you would theoreticly have around 50 HP at the crank. Not bad considering you have not touched any internals in the motor. By the way Yosh has some Stage R cams for the RMZ450, not sure if they will fit the LTR, $600 OUCH.

onall4rs
03-09-2006, 10:58 AM
dezsled going back to the throtle cable you said that it was of the shelf is their a part numder for it or was it from a solo bike
only i would like to have one ready for when mine turns up
thanks paul uk

DezSled
03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
The best info I can give out is to call the phone # for Motion Pro and ask for Larry. I don't know the part #s as it is a beta kit. When I had someone call about a twist kit they were asking how long I had the lt-r, I said almost two weeks. They were kinda amazed and asked if I would ship them my thumb throttle and cable. After a week that letter w/ the kit arrived. I slapped that puppy on and have been stoked ever since. Larry called back a couple times to ask about the fit and cable issues. Not a one. So call Motion Pro, I told Larry about this thread so he's seen the pics.

DezSled
03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
My signature was worked for...

slief
03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
DezSled,
Thanks for the info! I called motion pro last week and ordered the LTR twist throttle and I got it today. The knew exactly what I needed. The kit came complete with twist throttle, cable and grips. I think it was around $65 to my door or less (I did not pay much attention to the cost).

Now I just have to motivate myself to work on it and put it on!

Thanks again for the informative post!

DezSled
03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey thats great! The hardest part putting the cable on is finding a phillips head screw driver that is bent correctly to undo the throttle body black cover. I had to use a pair of needle nose vise grips to get ahold of the screw head. It kinda messed up the pan head but it got it off. Follow the owners manual instructions and it will come apart without to much trouble. The two gas lines are tricky when you try to remove the tank, pinch the grey part of the fuel lline and pull slowly and they will come off. I have it down to about 10 minutes to get to the throttle cable. Take your time, remember where the plastic fasteners go there not all the same, and drain the tank completely. Have a fire extinguisher always. Torx fasteners are a pain so have the correct size or it will strip out making them useless and you'll never get them out... Use air pressure to pop off the stock grips, left side of the handle bars has a hole that works great for that. Good luck slief and back a few posts is a web site for any lt-r part numbers.
Larry forgot to send me any grips....dog gone it

cowchaser
03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi DezSled thanks for your informative posts easly the best post i've seen on any forum. Your obviously a Desert rider with a lot of experince and I was just wondering what miles you are getting out of a tank of fuel when holding it flat out in the desert? I'm from Australia and will be running mine in the Finke Destert Race over here and want to know if I need a bigger tank

DezSled
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
I haven't found out what kind of fuel mileage the lt-r can get yet. I can only give fuel mileage for the old 250r's. I'm still figuring out a swingarm skidplate & steering stabilizer & rearset pegs. Gotta find that attack positioning. Right now my preferred race weapon is still the Roll Lobo II bike.
So I can't help ya there cowpuncher. Good luck at the Finke race. Let us know how you do.

DezSled
03-14-2006, 09:16 PM
This Lance Schoonmaker 6.0 gallon tank would get about 60-65 miles between pits w/ 39 pwk keihin. 3.6 clarke tank about 50 w/ stock 34 oval keihin. There are way better posts here that i'm still learning from... the gncc gurus have alot of know how. Thanks for the kind words tho.

03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Some of those handmade desert tanks are works of art.

cowchaser
03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks anyway mate

AL Elks
03-15-2006, 05:44 PM
DezSled

I have a quick question for you. Since you are the only one I know of that has a manual.

Can you tell us how many sensors the EFI has and where they are. I know there has to be more than just the one in the airbox.

Thanks,
AL

DezSled
03-15-2006, 09:25 PM
IATS intake air temperature sensor
ECTS engine coolant temperature sensor
TPS throttle position sensor
CKPS crank position sensor
TOS tip over sensor

Anyone who has an lt-r should get a service manual. Makes abit more sense than the owners manual. The details/pics on how to change a plug makes it worth it.

G'day Mate, throw a shrimp on the barbie

'91 24 hour off road endurance race - Roll banshee
easily could do 95-100 mph down coyote wash

AL Elks
03-16-2006, 05:14 AM
Thanks DezSled,

Yea, My dealer is still trying to get me one.

One other thing everyone needs to buy is a GOOD torque wrench. Don't ask me how I know. I now have a nice dial torque wrench that works GREAT.

walty
03-19-2006, 07:54 PM
dez...i am in the prosses of installing BIG lights for the "12 hrs of la tuque " here in quebec but my dealer didn't received my shop manuel yet....do you know the wattage i can install...any info in "THE book"
you can email me the pages (pics) to piscineaid@aei.ca

thanks in advance

DezSled
03-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Funny thing this manual.... no output specifications of the stator. It does show that it has a 'three phase a.c. generator'. Under the headlight specs it shows : 12v 40/40 w. So you better be running some sort of HID system, b/c that won't run the triple light system ( 2-55watt + 1- 100watt halogen bulbs) that I have.

Your best bet would be to call Ricky Stator for recommendations. Ask him about the mud hole at the Baja 1000 in '93- his team and the team I was on got stuck in the same mud hole and eventually DNF. Pic is the '93 1000 Roll Design Suzuki LT500 going into the Borrego road crossing (3&4 Wheel Action 3/94).

DezSled
03-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Here is a Denton stabilizer for a yfz450. I was told that w/ some shimming it will work. The people down at Cycle Parts West are way cool, Thanks for the info. The Yamaha steering shaft is larger in diameter, so using some thin aluminum should make up the difference on the LT-R.

One thing for sure I am going to find out if it will work.

As far as the swingarm skidplate goes, there is .125 chrome moly plate or .250 t6 aluminum plate. When the electric metal gluing machine shows up...Thanks WestAir

brittlebones
03-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I installed one on my ltr for the yfz and didn't need the shims and it works great!

DezSled
03-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I was kinda hoping to hear info like about a month ago. But hey better late than never. Thanks Bones your right it bolted right up. Took about 15 minutes. No more flop in the rough.

OK now whats the best non disposable (metal screen) oil filter for this thing?

05kfx400
03-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Great thread. Thanks for all the info. The salesman I bought mine from recommended Compflo from Ready Racing. He's got a pretty impressive collection of trophies from all sorts of bike racing so I took his advice. I haven't installed it yet but I will on my next change.

DezSled
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks 400. Nice price on air filters. Does the lt-r use the same oil filter as the ltz400? I dunno this is my first 4 stroke.

I like the threads where others post their killer bikes on. This ones only so so. Thanks tho

05kfx400
03-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Yes it i the same one as the Z. The part # for the oil filter is CF 1060. You want to do a couple of "break in" oil changes first with the stock filters then put this one in. If your oil is anything like mine was it is going to look like a bad 70's metal flake paint job in the bottom the drain pan.

DezSled
03-26-2006, 01:02 AM
I went to the Imperial Sand dunes, the lt-r exhibited no unusual noises, shifted fine, and didn't rip off the linkage mount. Did get to race a 06 trx450r w/ pipe from what I could see at Competition Hill. With stock gearing & desert tires (procomps & razr2s f&r w/ beadsaver rims, (definitely not the lightest setup) the lt-r did manage to get a one bike length advantage at the start, but lost it at the 2/3 point due to other bike having paddles eventually losing by 2 bike lengths. With paddles and regearing this bike will definitely win against others w/ similar modifications imro.

All in all a good day, the lt-r ran great, hammered thru the whoops at the hill and sand highway w/ ease. Burning 3 tanks of vp c12 in the process. I have adjusted the chain once, and notched the sprocket cover for the shifter being raised on spline.

My reliability report on the lt-r is terrific.....a very respectable machine in my experience (8 tanks of fuel run thru so far)

05kfx400
03-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Have you had to add antifreeze?

DezSled
03-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Negative. It might be slightly low in the overflow tank...but its aok in the radiator.

Whats up w/ loading more than one pic in a post?

05kfx400
03-28-2006, 08:45 AM
The reason I asked is the last couple of times I have rode for any amount of time I have had to add antifreeze to the overflow. The radiator looked fine but the overflow went from the high mark to the low. The next time(after refilling) it went to halfway between the two.
????

Since my service manual has been on order over a month now can you answer a couple of questions for me-
What is the torque for the lugnuts and sparkplug?
What are the intake and exhaust valve clearances?
Thanks in advance.

DezSled
03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Servicing Information section 9-36
lugnut 47.5 lb-ft
9-34
sparkplug 8 lb-ft
9-38
valve tappet clearance when cold
intake .10 - .20"
exhaust .03 - .057"

LT-R450 dealer first service charge $187.00 + parts

anyone know how to load more than one pic per post?

05kfx400
03-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info.

As far as the pics go I haven't loaded too many pics so I don't know.

walty
03-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Recieved the service manual today. The parts manager says that remapping can be done using genuine suzuki equipment readily available from the dealer. Don't know any costs tho. I just got it so I haven't even read it yet.
Dealer also said that the drz dual sport has a kill switch/starter button combo that is a clean installation. Way more sano than using two kill buttons.

how much did you paid the service manuel!!!!my dealer asking 105$$$$$canadian
feel free to sell a copy:rolleyes: :huh

AL Elks
03-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 05kfx400

Since my service manual has been on order over a month now

Your dealer may be having the same problem mine is. Their system (computer system) has not been updated and it will not let them order the manual. I've had mine ordered over a month now. My dealer is making a call to order me on instead of waiting for the computer update.

Just a thought.

Actually I'm trying to get him to sell me their shop manual since I'm the only one around that has the LTR as I got the first one in the door and they haven't gotten any more in since. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

DezSled
04-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I purchased the lt-r450 service manual for $59 retail at Quinsey Powersports.

I just found BellSuzuki.com has the manual for $56.00
you can order it online now.

Imperial Sand Dunes, Buttercup April fools day

DezSled
04-03-2006, 11:06 PM
After taking off the dumbo ear foot guards the rear fenders were a floppin leaving tire marks on the edges. So I had to make something before they cracked. Made to fit without being a hinderence. It only costed $4810. to make fender supports. The metal was reasonable at only $9.00 - 10.00. The 250dx syncrowave welder to put it all together was the part that hurt. Ebay has fender supports for sale at $75 made of aluminum, and I know everyone these days runs the nerf bars that incorporate supports. But I'm sure the nerfs would be the first thing to smush my nuts in a crash.
The wife said she wouldn't massage them any more the last time that happened, and I better stop tankslapping (pismo beach race '04).
There is something satisfying about making things yourself.

quadrcr87
04-04-2006, 09:35 AM
All this info makes me want to get the suzuki. Thanks for the thread your going to have a reliable racing machine when complete!