View Full Version : 400 Ex Axle disassebliy

Larson6969
02-04-2006, 12:42 PM
how do i take the axle out of my swing arm on a 400 ex i can not take the lock nuts off or were the sproket mounts

Rip_Tear
02-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Larson6969
how do i take the axle out of my swing arm on a 400 ex i can not take the lock nuts off or were the sproket mounts

Are you saying so far you are unable to take teh lock nuts off, or that you can't???

What have to do is to take those lock nuts off first, if you are looking at the nuts from the rear right tires point of view the furthest nut needs to be turned clockwise(I am pretty sure...) to back it off the other nut, the back the other nut off. There will be a lock ring on the axle once you've back the nuts off far enough, remove the ring (you can use needle nose pliers or something). Then pull the disc brake hub and assembely off (you'll need to take the brake caliper off first). Then you should be able to push the axle through, you'll of couse have already taken the wheel hub off.

Hope that helps you out.

Unverfehrt400ex
02-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeh Locknuts are reverse thread, just remember that.

Larson6969
02-05-2006, 12:40 PM
thanks guys ill give that a go

Yellow400guy
04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
how do u keep the engine from turning over??

underpowered
04-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Yellow400guy
how do u keep the engine from turning over??

put it in first gear or leave the quad on teh ground and use the weight of the quad whil in gear to your advantage.

pit/wood
04-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Rear brake pedal works for keepin the axle from turnin,wedge a block of wood between the pedel and the foot peg.

Or you can use 2 wrenches on the nut.

RangerRick
04-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Well I have done this twice to mine since I got it so I will give a little input.I leave the rear sprocket on which helps alot.You can use an extension or something of the like and slip it through the sprocket holes to tighten or loosen bolts without the axle spinning.Just make sure to put a rag in there with it so you dont leave marks on the sprocket or swingarm.Also the nut is a reverse thread as everyone has said.To take it off tighten it in all the way so you can see a clip and snap it out with a thin flat blade screwdriver.Then you can slip it off.The sprocket hub does not come off or at least I hope it doesnt.You just slide the axle out with it on.Once you get the nut off take off the disk and I think this is where there is another clip that holds in the bearing carrier.This can be a pain in the *** to get out and worst to put back in but somehow I managed it with no special tools.If you have snap ring pliers they are made to take it off.Then again I dont know if you need to since I dont know what exactly you are trying to do take the bearings off or etc. but if you have any other questions let me know.Hope this helps you out some.