PDA

View Full Version : the 416 lives!

Wired
07-12-2002, 07:16 PM
well i finally got it together about 4 hours ago. the installation of everything was a breeze! i took it out for 2 rides, the first a mild ride not reaching half throttle, and the second hitting 3/4. what i noticed right away is that it runs harder, not as smooth as before but i was expecting this because i also noticed it needs to be rejetted. the second ride i had on it i "accidently" lifted the front end in 5th gear, talk about nuts!! i love the new found power but i cant wait for tomorrow where i'll really be able to wake it up. but it was a little boggy due to the bad jetting but i'll get that all figured out tomorrow along with the setup up my new suspension i got for it. my Graydon Proline Pro Pegs arrived today too but i didnt know untill 2 hours ago. the box was huge dont know how i couldve missed it :) the quad is a totally different working and looking quad now. i love it. well this is a little long so i just thought i'd let everyone know that im impressed with my purchase.

kit items:

marcums 416 kit = $150
Hotcams stage 2 cam = $90
Mild port and polish, bore and tripple angle valve job = $75

total bill = $315.00

the price was the only thing that convinced me to get this kit and i think its well worth the money!!!!

Pappy
07-12-2002, 07:36 PM
sweet....my 416 kit is on the way

Wired
07-12-2002, 07:37 PM
you'll love it! what cam ya getting?

Wired
07-12-2002, 07:38 PM
oh yeah by the way 400ex127, personally i think your ex is the best looking ex ive ever seen!! :eek: :macho

Pappy
07-12-2002, 07:40 PM
hahaha...thanks. i wont do my motor until this fall. so by then u can tell me everything i need to know about the 416!!!

Pappy
07-12-2002, 07:41 PM
ooops!!! my bad !! i havent decided on a cam yet....more decisions!!:D

rdmex
07-12-2002, 07:51 PM
get my xr400 cam wink wink

Wheelie
07-12-2002, 08:12 PM
WiredC:

Did you purchase all the parts and have all the labor done at Marcums?

Wired
07-12-2002, 08:15 PM
nope the only thing i got from marcums was the piston, i had a local shop do the engine work and i put it together myself :macho

Dave400ex
07-12-2002, 09:18 PM
I rode my Dads Raptor today and after Riding that I need more Power. I opened it up down our road and holy crap it is fast. The 400 just didn`t seem that fast, but I will never buy a Yamaha.

Nausty
07-12-2002, 10:57 PM
hahaha I spent so much time on my stock blaster with absolutely no power the 400ex still seems like it has plenty to go fast and I still know i can work on carrying more speed through the corners and what not. You guys wouldn't beleive what its like when you constantly have to learn to do everything perfect just so you it doesn't start to bog down or havn't to constantly learn to be able to push the quad to its limits instead of yourself. Lol anyone try to whip a stock width blaster with the bubble tires in grass? WIth a stock motor? Now thats hard because everytime you turn that thing automaticly wants to hop up on two wheels with the bubble tires. Thats why I am gonna wait on my motor work because I still have room for improvement with stock motor and once I hop on a hopped up motor and I can really use it instead of being all out of control I will be unbeatable... muwhahahahaha Plus i'm just saving up funds so I can do it all right the first time and not have to do everything twice.

Evan
07-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Cool Jon, I got my 425 running today also, exactly 2 weeks from destruction. I have yet to break it in and test it. Should have little bit more power. What comp are you running? Sounds like you got a deal on your motor. I built my own also, theres no better feeling than getting it all together and having it start on the first try no trouble.

BTW If anyone needs a JE 416 piston I have one.

Nausty
07-12-2002, 11:07 PM
hmm what compression if its a 12:1 or maybe 12.5:1 I might buy it. Btw I can run stock rod with that right without worrying right? I know sparks say they have seen them go with as little as 10:1 but they are also a company trying to make $$$$. i am running stock rev limiter.

07-12-2002, 11:33 PM
guess what, the R lives *** well too

FullBore52
07-13-2002, 12:20 AM
I dont know nausty...that 12.5:1 416 on a stock rod might not be such a good idea...I would try to save up another $250 or so and then get a rod with the piston...just for safety. Or buy the piston now and, if you can stand it, wait until you get the rod to put it in...but that would be tough!

Nausty
07-13-2002, 01:29 AM
waiting won't be a problem i'm trying to save up all of the money at once so I don't have to touch it again and get every thing right the first time. I was gonna wait a while before I put it in anyways. I'm pry gonna send my frame off to chris this winter and get some a-arms and maybe a axle and tires by this winter then wait tell next winter or during the hottest part of the summer. decisions decisions. I think i will order a sparks x-6 exhaust sometime soon though to hold me over for a while.

Dave400ex
07-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Nausty since you like to Jump I would have your Frame Gussetted/Powdercoated, get some A-Arms, and a RPM Axle before you do any Motor work. Chassis work is much more important. Plus then you will need some MX Tires and Rims so you have a lot of things you can do before you need Motor work. I am with you I think I will just wait and do my Motor how I want it the first time.

Foxrage
07-13-2002, 12:15 PM
How come the cam was only 90 bucks? That is cheap.

Chasis isnt always before motor if your rings are fried or something you might as well get your motor done.

Wired
07-13-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by NACS400EX
How come the cam was only 90 bucks? That is cheap.

cause i know the right people ;)

carlj75
07-14-2002, 04:58 PM
What would you guys recommend, as far as engine work, if you had about $900 to play with. My 400 feels fine on the trails, but as soon as I get it to the dunes, it feels really slow. I am tired of getting beat by my friends raptors on the dunes!!!

Wired
07-14-2002, 08:22 PM
well if you got 900 bucks to spend i'd recommend getting the 416 kit, get a new cam, and buy the FCR39mm carb and she should fly then!

Dave400ex
07-14-2002, 08:47 PM
I agree. 416 Piston, Cam, and 39mm FCR Carb.

skemp
07-14-2002, 09:48 PM
I am so impressed with my quad after I installed just the 416 piston and a Hot Cams Stage 2 cam.
Today I raced and beat my friend's Quadracer 250 (bored .030 over with FMF fatty pipe and Boyeson reeds), and another friend's 250r with K&N filter w/Boyeson reeds. It was closest with the R, but I had him off the start and was ahead by a few lengths until I hit 5th, then I pulled away. My other friend on his '02 CR125 was there too, and the only thing there close to a match was me, but he pulls away from me when he hits 5th and slowly keeps pulling away. My friends' quads are pretty fast, and they definitely felt faster than mine when I rode them before I got the motor work done, but I have found something faster. :devil Now I just need to get a mild port and polish (if I can find a decent shop with decent prices near to me) and a 16 tooth sprocket.

So all in all, I am definitely impressed. It is an entirely new machine!

Dave400ex
07-15-2002, 10:16 AM
Skemp, You just have a 416 Piston and Cam?

Pro400EXC
07-15-2002, 03:38 PM
That was a good deal yah got. Marcum told me $500 for piston,cam,porting,and labor,also he is gona tear my motor down and all,i am afraid too.

One more thing, my 400ex is smokin like a 250r now,so should I rebuild it or wait? it still has fgood poweer and all,and i smoke my buddies 2002 400ex,and we have the same set-up too,but i hate the smokin. Also,i go threw alot of oil in her,its a pain.

If i don't go with a rebuild,i ned skids,and all.

skemp
07-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Skemp, You just have a 416 Piston and Cam?

Yep, that and a white brother's pipe I got when they first came out, and a K&N filter. I am not some thirteen year old telling some BS story either. :D I really can beat them. I am very impressed.