PDA

View Full Version : sick of it all

rossano
07-12-2002, 06:04 PM
ok fellas- here it is

i ride in the rocky northeast. the stock tires used to get destroyed everytime out. between me and my 5-8 riding buddies (400ex's, raptors, warrior, blaster), we used to stop to plug the gashes and holes on average of 3 times a day. so after research (like here at the exriders site) we came to learn that the best tires for the job would be along the lines of holeshot XC/XCT/XCR 6-ply or maxxis razrs 6ply. so, we all pretty much got those tires. the traction is excellent. the tires are awesome. but, they still keep getting friggin' holes. we are anal about tire pressure (5-6 psi rear, 6-7 front) and try to avoid big pointy rocks as much as possible. but still, we keep running into some kind of puncture. it makes you wanna throw the bike off a cliff.

is there another brand that you guys know of that can REALLY take the punishment? i dunno, maybe it's just the way it is and we're always going to get these problems. it sucks because i used to ride dirtbikes and i never ran into this problem like with the quads. thanks for any input.

flaneledholes
07-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Hey dude go to your dealer or what ever atv magazine( dennid kirk, rocky mountian) you have laying around and get some "slime"... It should be under $20 maybe like $15 but put that in your tire... DW did a review and it is supposed to be good but it will cost you an extra 2 pounds or so in each tire...

NJ300ex
07-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Try running 4 pounds in the rear. Thats what i run in my rear razr's and have had good luck so far. I run 7 pounds in the front and that seems to work well also. I think you guys are just unlucky to get that many flats.

PismoGuy400
07-12-2002, 10:06 PM
ever think about getting bandits?

Rastus
07-13-2002, 09:27 AM
bandits are DEFINATELY tough customers!

Ex'r Marlin
07-13-2002, 11:47 AM
If I remember right, I think the Spider Tracs and the Pure Sport Bandits are some of the "most" puncture resistant tires for the sport machines you described.

I am also very surprised with all your flats with the six ply tires you are getting.:confused: I usually see guys get frustrated with their flats, but that is mainly because they had the stock, thin wall tires. Sounds like you guys really put a pounding on them tires!:D :macho

I could be wrong, but I think the "Slime" is great for preventing flats and fixing them, but I do not think they help the side walls of the tires. Do I stand correcting?

BTW, I think you may want to have a new "trail boss" leading you away from the rocks, hehe:) Good luck!

nakomis0
07-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by PismoGuy400
ever think about getting bandits?

I was thinking Bandits also.

07-13-2002, 08:30 PM
yea the bandits are indestuctible! Id try those but buy the most expensive ones. I believe they are kevlar belted those should last you forever without any holes if you get a hole in one of these i dont think there is a tire that wont get a hole!
killer

Pappy
07-13-2002, 08:32 PM
yep...bandits are some tough tires. they get my vote.

Foxrage
07-13-2002, 08:41 PM
My friend had bandits the never got a whole in them. They are great.

kicken250x
07-13-2002, 09:12 PM
yes go with the bandits those are the best tires i have ever seen!! i ride alot of pavement and have had these for over 2 years (front). they stil have over half tred on them. you wouldnt believe the stuff i have run over with these tires...i have ran over pine trees(i think??the ones that look kinda like x-mas trees???) with the branches torn off and some of the brach still on the tree and it was sharp! i ran strait over them and nothin happend!! im with you 400ex127 they got my vote!!!

bigbadbrad
07-17-2002, 11:00 AM
you dont need the whole bottle of slime, 16oz per tire you only need half of that and it works awsome and prevents flats good. with bandits and slime you should never have a nother problem again

Pepto_Bismol
07-18-2002, 10:48 AM
I have the XCRs and I still have to plug them on a regualr basis. It seems the tread itself "picks" up things and they poke through the tread :( . A suggestion, I would definately stay away from slime..in any form. My riding buddy put some in all four of his tires..(after I told him not too) and it caused his machine to vibrate and wobble at higher rates of speeds (because of the balance issue).
He had to pay to have the slime removed. Plus, it didn't help him one bit when he punctured his tires twice. Once the puncture was just to big ( a big stick about 5/16 of an in). The second was closer to the side wall, and slime was 100% ineffective there. Any reputable ATV shop will tell you the same thing about slime. I chose XCR's because they really do hook up well. The Bandits are the toughest tire though, but also very heavy. Good luck!
Pepto :cool:

MOUSE
07-18-2002, 05:01 PM
could he take the tire off and give the entire inside of the tire a thick coating of the slime spread out evenly or would this not work :confused:

Nausty
07-18-2002, 06:53 PM
I doubt it the stuff is suppose to seal punctures is all I think? I couldn't see it making the tire side walls stronger.

R-Crazy
07-18-2002, 08:12 PM
there is a trick to slime, first off, you need to get the kind with the rubber chuncks in them. little more $$$$ (5 bucks max)but well worth it. next, put about 12 oz. in each tire. you could put more if you are on rougher terrain, but usuall not necessary.once everything is done, right away, warm up your bike and go as fast as you can. do that for about 1/2 and hour. i do it more just cuz it is fun. it evens out the slime. next ride (make sure it is within a week) do that again and then you should be set. after bike sits dor a while i do that also. hope this helps

dave

07-19-2002, 09:39 AM
the bandits are a good tire but mine tore off the back half of the center tread knobbys has anyone else seen this?The tires had not seen pavement and they had 2-3 rides on them on a mx track!other than that they are awesome tire hope they don't puncture

skemp
07-20-2002, 12:44 AM
A friend of mine has Bandits on hit LT, and when he first got it I said we should check the tire pressure. The one side was good, and the other side was completely flat (no air in it at all) but they looked exactly the same. They are so stiff and tough that you can ride them without air. I would say they will do the job for you.

07-20-2002, 11:11 PM
i have always used slime and it works wonders but pj1 has some stuff out that is suppost to be even better but not slow you down for racing

07-21-2002, 12:03 AM
I have that the bandits are tough but have never rode them. The Kenda's that I have been running are very tough and still offer good performance but I dont run much rocky terrain. The side walls are stiffer than the other performance tires you have tried and the rubber is stiffer in general, but they are not anyware near as heavy as the utillity type tires and still offer the performance similiar to the hole shots etc.

I have some friends and family etc that ride in north NJ and south NY and have all kinds of flat problems. I hope that your not bending as many rims as they are. One guy even bent the OMF race weld rim, its still round but the ring is bent. So if your running hard and hitting stuff there just isnt too much you can do to stop the flats but hopefully you can lower the amount of side wall gashes with a stiffer and thicker tire.