PDA

View Full Version : tickin' too much?

n811
02-03-2006, 08:21 PM
My 400ex has always had a pretty loud ticking sound and I took it to a dealer last spring. had them adjust the valves and they said it was really loose. So when I got it back and rode it the sound was the same. Do they have a normal tick? How do you keep them from gettin too loose?

kc8pnd
02-03-2006, 08:44 PM
my workshop guide says it could be:

1. Carbon build-up in the combustion chamber - Use a fuel additive to help dissolve the carbon.
2. Old Fuel
3. Spark plug heat range incorrect - The plug becomes a glow plug raising cylinder temps.
4. Incorrect air/fuel mixture, clogged jets or an air leak.
5. Incorrect valve clearance.
6. Camshaft or cylinder head worn due to lack of lub.
7. Cylinder head gasket leaking.
8. Exhaust pipe leak.
9. crank bearings gone.
10. Camshaft tensioner defective.
11. Camshaft chain, sprockets or guides worn.

That's all the Abnormal Engine noise section.
I could be wrong, but it could be that your cam chain guide has worn so that the tensioner can no longer keep the cam chain tight, this could be the chain slapping the guides?

n811
02-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Very interesting. All I can say is the thing runs GREAT!!! I am just not sure about the noise??

Pappy
02-03-2006, 09:01 PM
they do have a tick, but id try adjusting them. its an easy job.

kc8pnd
02-03-2006, 09:14 PM
If the tick is really really light then I would say it is normal, I was under the impression it was really loud. My 300ex makes a very light ticking, but its normal.

EXevan91
02-04-2006, 09:40 AM
try running better fuel in it

jordan_m6
02-04-2006, 11:06 AM
My 400ex has ticked ever since it was broke in. checked the valves they where fine but i was like every kid with a new bike and i dont think i let it break in properly. thats what i think is why mine is ticking

Chicksdigme423
02-04-2006, 10:42 PM
i had the same problem with my 300ex... it was ticking, and i would adjust the valves to where my book says and then it would run fine for about 3 or 4 hours and the exhaust valves would be out of adj. again and start ticking.... so i pulled the valve cover off that the rockers are connected to and the exhaust rocker was worn down.. it scratched up my cam so i got a new cam and both rockers *just to be sure* and it runs beautifully now and no ticking:D just my 2 cents

wboy62417
02-04-2006, 11:15 PM
if it is loud here is what happen to my 300ex i had a loud ticking noise and we couldnt figure out what it was and one day i was riding it and it just quit so i took it apart to find out the cam had broke due to the cam gear coming loose(that was my ticking) and it broke from the gear chattering around so make sure your gear is tight BELIEVE ME it will save you alot of money if you just check it gaskets arnt that much but a new cam(without a good core to turn in) is very expensive

By the way i used lock tight this time to make sure they stayed tight