PDA

View Full Version : New 2006 450r

Lax
02-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone, Iam new to the forums. Iam 17 years old, and I live in Rochester NY. I bought a 2004 Blaster about 2 years ago, then just yesterday, I picked up a brand new 2006 trx450er black.

When I first rode the blaster, I was actally pretty scarred of it. But after about a couple months, the power was not enough. I mastered it. After waiting for winter to pass, I ordered a 240 BB kit, port and polished for the quad. To me, that was a improvement which held me excited for about a couple months, until I decided on getting a bigger quad.

I hada choice between a yfz450 or this, I picked this because the looks in black, wow did it impress me, as an trail rider, I couldnt have gone wrong with my choice. Now just this week for my earlie birthday, i picked up a black 06 450er. Let me tell you, this think is a space age over the blaster. When my dad got on it, he said I was gona die sometime this summer. When I rode it, Its power was in you palms. I couldnt even go full throtal, only half because Iam still breaking it in.

I do not really need any mods anytime soon, as who I will be riding with would be mostly blasters and kinds like them.

And I just have a couple of questions on what I might or might now be doing wrong, to make sure it keeps in tip top shape with the blaster. I have searched about the break in methods, ride it hard, or easily, I went towards the easily approach.

I let the run the garage, yes the door was open, for about 15 mintues. Then I let the quad sit for about 45 mintues.

After those 45 mintues, Iam starting to ride it with low-mid revs varying and shifting. I probbably road it for 5 minutes, because in rochester its realllly muddy out, so i only hada chance to ride it on the road.

I would like, if possible, help with some of these questions below.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
1. What are the things I should do next with breaking it in? I heard run it for about an hour low-mid rpms. Just wana make sure. After an hour can i start riding it hard?

2. I have tried searching for the best oil, but the forums only allowed a max of 4 letter words, so what would be an decent oil, for the tranny and engine?

3. Should I change the oil after breaking it in, after how many hours?

4. Mr Clean auto wash? worth it?

5. Last but not least, how long should this quad warm up for? I turn on choke, start it, take off choke after 20 seconds, then hit teh gas for a little bit until after a mintue I ride.

Thank you everyone for the help, and I soon hope to help out people just like me.... clueless. But I do know alot about blasters :)

I will be posting pictures soon, prob tonite if possbile or deffintly tommrow.

One_Bad_400
02-04-2006, 12:33 PM
i cant help with with any but the last... lol... my warm up prosedure is(and this is i'm abotu to ride hard or for a long time or so) i start it up... but i NEVER use choke... for soem reason my bikes always start up fine... and i let it warm up, not touching the trotle at all... and leave it running for about 4-5 minutes... check my oil.. if i'm good then go ride how ever you want... but you need to check the oil EVERY TIME you ride... i never ride with out checking my oil twice... thats #1 priority for me when dealing with an engine

XCRACER26
02-04-2006, 01:27 PM
I put my hand on the motor till it feels warm then I open it up. or I will just let it Idle for a while.

450robot
02-04-2006, 02:22 PM
for break in, just ride it like your going to ride it, thats the best, and proven way, dont lug it around, or give it stress, but just ride how you normally would, this gives the rings a chance to set at all throttle positions

change the oils when your done with break in, i always change my coolant too, because the cooling system has new moving parts too that create shavings when working for the first few hours

the honda oils are the best imo, they come in huge jugs too, just ask oyur dealer, they will give you the right ones, and i would replace the coolant with engine ice (also at the dealer)

auto wash? NO! i doesnt have any spray power, nor the chemical power to cut down grime, oils, and mud that accumulate and bake on parts during riding

just get a high pressure spray nozzle, and some simple green concentrate (they come in big jugs, you can mix with water for a powerful soap, or use alone for the really tuff spots like mud baked on the header)

just warm it up until the motor is warm to the touch, it should be good

and enjoy! good choice of quad! i love mine!

02-04-2006, 02:29 PM
you let it idle for 15 minutes during break in? shouldnt of done that man!

Out_Sider
02-04-2006, 03:00 PM
what's the big deal of letting it idle for 15 minutes? i did the same with my 450. let it idle for 15 minutes, then went and rode hard, and i've noticed my 450 being a good bit quicker than all the other's i've raced.