PDA

View Full Version : Poor Running 400 scrambler

write twisted
02-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Working With a 1996 Polaris Scrambler 400 for a friend of mine. Bike just had a .40 boar, wiseco piston, very mild porting, and a set of boysen reeds added. When he was done reassembly he down jetted to a 240 main and did not touch the pilot. It apparantly ran hard for two or three quick trips. Then (he is not terribly mechanicly minded) it apparantly just went flat. He said the plug carboned up really bad. Now the big problem is he fiddled with it for a wile befour he had me look at it and I am not terribly familiar with polaris ATV setup. I am getting a reeeeeeal wet plug. Gas all around the outside ring. I did a little carb tuning, with the jets and needle, went over the choke and the air filter. But noting is having any effect. I can't for the life of me find any diagrams for the vent hose routing from the carb? Is there bleeder lines for this thing. It is not the jetting cause there is no way it would just suddenly stop working. I am wondering either timing, or he messed up some of the vent lines on the carb. Is there supposed to be an atmospheric line for the float bowl on these things or not, or is this a triat problem for these bikes. I dunno. Going for the static and running timing checks tomorrow moring wonering if there is any ideas out there. Basicly the power has just gone flat and it is getting waaay too much fuel????

Thanks in advance to anyone?

n811
02-03-2006, 08:03 PM
My friend has a Scrambler 500 and it did that after the last bore. then he put on the dial a jet and started tweekin on it and the thing is now PUUUURRRFECT. do you know what carb it is?
my friend Is part of this forum and these guys wiil help you.
http://gen3usa.s407.sureserver.com/forums/index.php?sid=8b0f0dff75c7649c942148f1bec0abcf
If that link doesnt work the website is gen3usa.com

write twisted
02-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Cheers brother, I'll check them out.

phildogg
02-04-2006, 07:08 PM
check out gen3usa.com its a site dedicated to polaris scramblers,sport
phil