PDA

View Full Version : New rear shock vs. Rear rebuild?

BadA$$440
07-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Now that i got my front shcoks, its time to upgrade the rear. I was thinking about getting the MacDaddy rebuild from the QuadShop, but then i started thinking if a new aftermarket one would perform better. Money is kind of an option thats why i am leaning towards the rebuid but i like to have the best so if a new shock is alot better then i will save a lil more for it. So what do yu guys think?

BadA$$440
07-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Bump

Pappy
07-13-2002, 06:50 PM
i was wonderin the same thing...but the way i figure it....i dont ride like i used to anymore so a revalved and rebuilt stocker should do me fine. how much is the conversion ?

BadA$$440
07-13-2002, 07:10 PM
Well as far as the conversion, its like $300, but a new shock is alot more.

Pappy
07-13-2002, 07:31 PM
ummmm....i know a works rear shock is around 520$ it may not be worth it....i dunno.

Ex'r Marlin
07-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Well I beg to differ!:) It makes logical sense that a converted or rebuilt shock to your body weight and riding style should be better than the stocker, and most likely it will be. I too thought about this choice... But I went with an aftermarket rear shock. Obviously, I noticed a huge, significant, unbeliveable, awesome difference from the stocker! Again, unbeliveable! :D Then I got the opportunity to ride a buddy of mines 400... Who happens to be very close to me in weight, with a rebuilt rear shock and we compared. My Elka rear shock has alot more shock travel than even the rebuilt. I do not think it has more travel in the down direction... Especially since mine sits lower than stock, but on the up side (up direction).... WOW!!! With this, I think the longer travel would greatly help you in the whoops, allowing the tires to not only help track you when the wheels go up, but also help track you when the rear wheels come down due to a shorter distance the tires would be off the ground... If they come off.:D :cool:

Anyway... Are they worth the price difference? I definetly noticed an improvement of the rebuilt over the stocker... But I also noticed an improvement of the aftermarket over the rebuilt. I would have to say that for "$300", it is wise choice to go for the improvement that the conversion offers... But if you want what I feel is the "ultimate" and if you can save up for it... Get the aftermarket. (I'm happy I did)

Good luck... and 400ex127, since you live relatively close to me... I have no problem with you testing mine out for comparison! Note: Mine is set for XC and a 215 pound rider.

Pappy
07-13-2002, 11:39 PM
hahaha....you are turnin into a writer!!! how ya doin? yep i think an aftermarket shock is far better than a stocker. i just hate seeing kids spend 900 on a shock to ride around farmer joes field!! hey its your money ...spendit!! i know visa is gonna like me this fall!!!

07-13-2002, 11:42 PM
Yea what he said. :) (Marlins post, the other post popped in before I typed this stuff)

If your talking about the rebuild that I think you are please note that I dont have the shorter piston head (gives an additional 1/2-3/4" swingarm travel i am told)that they claim to use in the "mac daddy" type rebuilds. It was revalved to better handle my weight and all the other goodies (seals oil etc) changed .

And yes the suspension down travel or call it subframe up travel increase over the stocker and rebuild is AWSOME. This is the only rear shock I ever eve considered and cant wait to get them in so I can stop beating myself up in the ruff stuff.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

Plus if you can sell your stocker for around 100-200 then its only like 100-200 more than the rebuild.

PS. I had mine rebuilt minus the funky sag spring for just over 100.00

07-13-2002, 11:48 PM
hahaha....you are turnin into a writer!!! how ya doin? yep i think an aftermarket shock is far better than a stocker. i just hate seeing kids spend 900 on a shock to ride around farmer joes field!! hey its your money ...spendit!! i know visa is gonna like me this fall!!!

Your not foolin there. It just doesnt seem like anyone here is gonna be happy buying the works steelers and getting the rear rebuilt and revalved since so many are getting the higher end set ups.

Personally I am doing it all for the comfort factor and since getting the quad running well its just too fast for the suspension and I hope these mods will help keep it from launching into the trees:D :rolleyes:

Pappy
07-13-2002, 11:54 PM
well....my wife saw my earlier post about not riding as hard and when she got done laughin she made a very good point. her take on it is this......we have the income to buy what ever i want so get the best!! god i love that woman!!!

Ex'r Marlin
07-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
If your talking about the rebuild that I think you are please note that I dont have the shorter piston head (gives an additional 1/2-3/4" swingarm travel i am told)that they claim to use in the "mac daddy" type rebuilds. It was revalved to better handle my weight and all the other goodies (seals oil etc) changed.Yep, you be the one!!:)

As for "launching into the trees", I don't think that will ever change with you.:D Just kidding buddy!:)

400ex127.... I agree 100%! If you are just going to play around with it from time to time... And just want an "Improvement", I think the rebuild is the way to go...

BTW, I am feeling great! And yes, I think the medication has helped my judgement!:D I will bend my knee for the first time in 6 weeks Monday... Wish me luck! I hope you are doing ok, rumor has it that you got hurt again???:huh

Sounds like you got the best woman too!!!!:)

Pappy
07-14-2002, 12:00 AM
i wish all it was was a rumor. im going back in monday for more tests...startin to see blood where there aint supposed to be blood. doc thinks i may have a bruised lung? is that even possible? all i know is that a sneezin fit with broken ribs and sternum aint good!!!

BadA$$440
07-14-2002, 07:38 AM
Ok, Thanks for all the info. I think i will g with what 440EX4ME said and saell the stock a-arms, front shocks, tie-rods, and rear shcok and put hat money towards a new shock. How much can i get from the stock parts and how much is a new Elka dual rate from The Quad Shop? oh ya, one more question. People say not to get rebound adj on Front shocks cuz you lose travel, is that the same for the rear? Is rebound adj a must?

Boone
07-14-2002, 09:00 AM
400ex127 I feel your pain man.
Ive been livin in a wheelchair for 3 weeks now. 3 more to go before I can try to walk again.
I cased out my cr250 on a 50 foot double and broke both my ankles and tore the cartiledge that connects my ribs to the sternum.Your right, sneezing is a *****.I also have to try keeping up to my one year old daughter- she is kickin my ***.
hope everything goes well
Boone

Pappy
07-14-2002, 09:12 AM
i hope you feel better soon...thanks...i just wish if when i got hurt had a cool story to go along with it!!

BadA$$440
07-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Did you get hurt on your fourwheeler 400EX127? If so, what happened? thank god the only injury i have had riding quads is a fractured ankle.

Pappy
07-14-2002, 09:43 AM
hahahaha...no not on the quad. long story...i was chasin a ground hog on foot...tripped and feLL!!!

BadA$$440
07-14-2002, 09:48 AM
Hahahaha. are you serious about the ground hog?

Pappy
07-14-2002, 09:50 AM
YES.....i wish i wasnt!! i think i fell on my arm but i dunno. im just gettin old!!!

07-14-2002, 10:47 AM
but i dunno. im just gettin old!!!

Shhhhhh I am trying to keep that secret from my body, but I know what you mean.

People say not to get rebound adj on Front shocks cuz you lose travel, is that the same for the rear? Is rebound adj a must?

Your going to have to get the dual adj on the rear. The elka rear still adds a bunch of travel anyhow. Plus the fronts are diff and I think the main reason the comp only are so popular is that most peeps cant adjust their rear rebound properly and would be inbig trouble if they could $crew with the front.

SGA
07-16-2002, 11:19 PM
This thread is right up my alley. Yes the rear rebuild is better than the stock rear shock. It rides good and bottoming out resistance is excellent. If you race or ride like you do, get the aftermarket rear shock. It will give you more control (faster lap times) and a better ride than the rear rebuild. Expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Thats up to you, but my choice is the aftermarket rear shock.

cdalejef
07-17-2002, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Bad*****440
People say not to get rebound adj on Front shocks cuz you lose travel, is that the same for the rear? Is rebound adj a must? On the front you will loose about 1.5" of stroke, don't get rebound on the front unless you get the long travel shocks. The rear does come with rebound adjust but you still have more travel than stock. Rebound adjustment is pretty important on the rear, but not on the front.

BadA$$440
07-17-2002, 07:51 AM
thanks Jeff. The next two things im buying from you is a denton rebuidable stabilizer and a new Elka dual rat, dual adj rear. How much $$$ am i looking at here?

cdalejef
07-17-2002, 09:04 AM
You have a PM!!!

racer_ex55
07-18-2002, 11:56 AM
go with the new elka rear shock. I have had both the elka revalve and now the new elka shock and the elka shock is far better than even the rebuilt stocker. Elka did the SSD mod to my stocker and the new one is also an SSD with high/low comp. As for rebound on the front yes it does limit travel. It depends on how serious you are into racing to justify the rebound, i have it on my fronts, but if it isn't that big of a deal then just go with comp. only.