PDA

View Full Version : Elka Rec Series Shocks

adinocr7
02-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Looking at the Elka "Recreation" series front shocks / without the rezzies. I'm on a limited budget mind you. I do a lot of aggressive trail riding and hit the track occasionally. My beef is that my machine beats the heck out of me when going through any type of terrain that is whooped out. Primarily when breaking or going into or exiting a turn.

Would a front set of Elka Rec Series shocks make my ride a little better in the rough stuff? Again for appx: $460.00 that is something I can swing. I've looked at "Works" and some other brands but everyone seems to swear by Elka.

Thanks,

Adam

300exOH
02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I have the elka rec series and they made a HUGE difference in the rough stuff. Before the shocks my arms would be sore after a short ride. Now I can handle much more seat time before my arms start to ache. Even with works shocks you will notice a big improvement but the elkas are even better.

adinocr7
02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
That's all I am really looking for. Just wanna be able to enjoy myself a little more . . . carry more speed through the turns and over the rough stuff without feeling like I'm riding a jackhammer.

If I ever get to the point when i can ride "100%" for over 20 minutes (enough to fade out the shocks) I was told I can always send them back and have the rezzie's added. I figure if and when that ever happenes I'll probably need to have them re-done at that point anyways.

Thank you again for your feedback.

02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I have the elka rec series and they made a HUGE difference in the rough stuff. Before the shocks my arms would be sore after a short ride. Now I can handle much more seat time before my arms start to ache. Even with works shocks you will notice a big improvement but the elkas are even better.

i second that

wheeltrax
02-03-2006, 06:01 PM
i love my elka rec shocks. Best money i spent on the quad. Before i had to slow down after riding hard becuase my arms were so sore. Now the harder i ride, the better the shocks soak it up. I love them. The ZPS is a nice feature too because the quad stays planted much better then before

mrnate400ex
02-03-2006, 07:00 PM
they are excellent. not many of us ride hard enough long enough to notice any fade. for the average rider, they are the best thing you can put on your quad!!!

adinocr7
02-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Awesome. Appreciate the feedback man. I'm stoked about getting these shocks in. I'm only able to get out once a week at the most, so for under $500.00 I think these will work out great.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the difference between my stock front shocks and the Elka Recs when I get em' on and have a chance to take them out on the stomping grounds.

Thanks again for everyone who was able to give me a little extra reassurance before I drop almost "5" bills.

400exMO
02-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm currently purchasing the front shocks you're considering. But once you get the Elkas you'll notice how inadequate the rear is. I would suggest sending it to GT Thunder and getting it redone and getting the link. It will improve the feeling and less bucking. If you're going to buy front shocks get something done with the rear.

adinocr7
02-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I'll definetely check into that. I know there is a company out in Buffalo NY (about an hour from where I reside) who does shocks. He'll re-valve them and set em' up to your specs.

Like you said I'll be doing the Elka Recs on the front first. Then I should be able to get a good idea of just "how bad" the rear is. Thanks for the advice.

400exrider707
02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
You're supposed to do the front and back at the same time if your going to ZPS. If you run the ZPS elkas on the front and the stock rear, not only will the rear seem really bad, but it will not handle correctly at all, and is thus making your front end less effective. You could try lowering the rear all the way down, but I still dont think you'll get it to match the front, and even if you do it will bottom really easy then.

04TRX400EX
02-06-2006, 11:13 PM
The Rec Series Elka's are what I have been considering too. Everytime I ride I come back wishing I had better suspension, but I always talk myself out of it cause I should save my money, and I have other things that I would like to get too. When the time comes however, I am definately gonna get the Rec Series fronts and dual rate rezzie rear with linkage.

94F450SD
02-06-2006, 11:53 PM
i just got a set of used works triple rate with rezzies for the front of mine.dont know how good they are yet but the few quick wheelies i did it felt much better when the frontend came back down.hopefully it wont be too cold in the morning togo for a ride to see how they are and to see if i need to have the rear shock done.although i like the rear shock the way it is now,just the front end is way to stiff for me.