PDA

View Full Version : 250r or a300ex

SeanOO13
02-03-2006, 12:58 PM
i ride on trals a lot and on felds and a trak more. what should i get a 250r or a 300ex?

300exOH
02-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Man that kind of like asking if you should get a corvette or a civic.:ermm:

There is no comparison between a 250r and the 300ex. The R is a much better (and faster) quad for any type of riding. The only way I would suggest the 300 is if you like to ride slow now and then or if you are an inexperienced rider. The R definitely requires a little more skill to ride because it's a 2 stroke.

ZeroLogic
02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I would go with the 400ex or z400. Steer away from two stokes, there aren't good for tails.

97blaster200
02-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I would go with the 400ex or z400. Steer away from two stokes, there aren't good for tails.

my brother has a atc250r and his is GREAT on trails...so how are they bad on trails?

xx3003xrdrxx
02-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

Youve never even rode a 250r , how would you know what there like in trails.:rolleyes: Look at all the xc guys that raced 250r's for years in the woods up untill a couple years ago when the 450's came out. Id take a xc 250r over any other quad on the market today

hondardr4life
02-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Believe me, I had a full MX 330ex, over 4 grand into it. I sold it, and only got $2500 for it. Now I have a full MX 250r, and it is 100% badass. The question you should be asking is 250r or 450r. 2 stroke takes more skill to ride, but it is even with modded 450's. When I say modded I mean pipe, cam, piston. All you need on a 250r is a good carb, a spacer plate, and a good pipe. All in all, a 250r will absolutely destroy a 300ex.

Heres a pic of my old quad.

hondardr4life
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
And the new...

:devil:

Ripitupfilms
02-03-2006, 03:29 PM
ZeroLogic

Deff dont judge a quad you never rode..

250r's are great for everthing

ZeroLogic
02-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I was told that two strokes aren't good for trails, I was just stating what I have been told.

xx3003xrdrxx
02-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Dont listen to everything you hear off idiots from the internet. The majority of the people that are going to be telling you stuff on here are 12- 16 years old.;)

Honda TRX250ex
02-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I rode a 250r in the woods and didnt like it. it had to much power for the woods and when you hit the power band its not fun. I would stay with a four stroke for the woods. Unless your perfer two stroke. If you never rode a two stroke dont buy on and use it for the woods. I wouldent buy a 300ex unless you are just being to ride. I would go with a 400ex. But the choice is yours...

gumby2461
02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
I rode a 250r in the woods and didnt like it. it had to much power for the woods and when you hit the power band its not fun. I would stay with a four stroke for the woods. Unless your perfer two stroke. If you never rode a two stroke dont buy on and use it for the woods. I wouldent buy a 300ex unless you are just being to ride. I would go with a 400ex. But the choice is yours...

sry but u gotta learn how to ride a 2 stroke b4 tryin to rip it aorund the woods.....

Honda TRX250ex
02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by gumby2461
sry but u gotta learn how to ride a 2 stroke b4 tryin to rip it aorund the woods.....
i know how to ride a two stroke buddy.:rolleyes:

97blaster200
02-03-2006, 06:28 PM
obvisouly u dont if u think a 250r is bad in the woods:D

gumby2461
02-03-2006, 06:30 PM

ha...i was sayin that y would they be racin xc gncc and all around every section of racing if the quad wasnt more than capable of meetin the racers expectations...

xx3003xrdrxx
02-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Id put alot of money that if you took a 2 stroke into the woods youd have the plug fould in 5 minutes :)

TarheelRedRider
02-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I agree. Two strokes arn't the best for every day trail ridding due to the fowling of the plugs. And who ever says 300s are for beginers is wrong. I am 30 years old and have raced many different models of atvs and motorcycles and love the 300ex for trails. One of the best trail atvs ever built, hondas sale numbers dont lie. As for power yes it is on the under power side stock. But with a small amount of money you can build a very fast machine. I have a 390 big bore and some porting and polishing and few more low cost mods and I can dog any two strokes on the trails. On a track not the case.

Honda TRX250ex
02-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx
Id put alot of money that if you took a 2 stroke into the woods youd have the plug fould in 5 minutes :)
ok i rode a two stroke in the woods. and no i didnt foul the plug ever. I didnt like it compared to four strokes. I dont like how you hit the power band when climbing hills and such.
If you read my post you would have seen me say

I would stay with a four stroke for the woods. Unless your perfer two stroke. If you never rode a two stroke dont buy on and use it for the woods.
I was stateing my opion and you guys went on flameing me. Its up to what the rider perfers. Im not telling him to get a four stroke or a two stroke.

TarheelRedRider
02-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Im like you buddy, but im just stating some facts. :)

Honda TRX250ex
02-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
Im like you buddy, but im just stating some facts. :)
i have nothing against you. its just that the other people saying that i dont know how to ride a two stroke and i foul plugs when they never seen me ride annoys me. I like my 250x (same thing as a 300ex) in the woods but i would prefer somthing bigger in engine size.

Ripitupfilms
02-03-2006, 07:42 PM
theres no such thing as too much power in the woods... hmm back in the day 250r's were everything in the woods.. too this day they are still winning in the gncc series ..Just stating facts:D

hondardr4life
02-03-2006, 08:56 PM
haha, you guys make me laugh. Would I rather have a 4 stroke for strictly trails, but he said he rides the track too. For the money there is no quad on earth that can beat the 250r. I'f you've got 10 grand to dump on a quad, then be my guest, get a new 4 stroke. I would kill to have one of those quads, but I just can't afford it, so I'll just use what I got because its almost as good. Honestlly I bet a built 250r has a better power to weight ratio than a built 450r. As for not liking the powerband on hills...... that does flat out show you can't ride a 2 stroke. A 250r will go up just about any hill out there if you get it into the powerband, and it definetly is not hard to get it there. Once the quad is in the powerband, there is really no difference between it and a 4 stroke.

And Hondatrx250ex, I'm not flaming you or anything, but if I remember right, you said you rode an LT 250r. And that is a completely different machine than a TRX. With a 2 stroke, its not how much raw power you have, its how much usable power you have.

xx3003xrdrxx
02-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Amen brother lol :D

97blaster200
02-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
haha, you guys make me laugh. Would I rather have a 4 stroke for strictly trails, but he said he rides the track too. For the money there is no quad on earth that can beat the 250r. I'f you've got 10 grand to dump on a quad, then be my guest, get a new 4 stroke. I would kill to have one of those quads, but I just can't afford it, so I'll just use what I got because its almost as good. Honestlly I bet a built 250r has a better power to weight ratio than a built 450r. As for not liking the powerband on hills...... that does flat out show you can't ride a 2 stroke. A 250r will go up just about any hill out there if you get it into the powerband, and it definetly is not hard to get it there. Once the quad is in the powerband, there is really no difference between it and a 4 stroke.

And Hondatrx250ex, I'm not flaming you or anything, but if I remember right, you said you rode an LT 250r. And that is a completely different machine than a TRX. With a 2 stroke, its not how much raw power you have, its how much usable power you have.

i agree with you 100%.....lt 250r's are nothing compared to the trx250r. my brother has a atc250r and when u hit the powerband going up a hill..u better hold on...because the bike will make it but u might not make it....learn how to ride a 2 stroke buddy and then tell him what quad to get:D

xx3003xrdrxx
02-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Im not flaming at all , but just because you got on a 250 and took it for a spin does NOT mean a damn thing. You even proved you dont truely know how to ride a 2 stroke how your talking about hitting the powerband , well the powerband is right there after about quarter throttle and isnt gonna drop out after its in unless you bog and dont know how to ride it . If its getting away from you on hills your not in the powerband to begin with , hense you dont know how to ride a 2 stroke.;) Ahh , the hell with the argueing! GO STEELERS :cool:

Dr89
02-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Ahh , the hell with the argueing! GO STEELERS

First meaningful and politcally correct statement of this entire thread! haha jk, and as for your question, unless you are a true beginner, then a 250r will beat a 300ex in any category besides reverse. I've ridden them plenty and they're a hell of a time, i was even considering buying one myself but all i do is trail ride, bush whack, and camp so i'll stick to my search for a nice 330 or 400 four stroke...a 2 stroke just isnt practical for me. it's all about personal preference, try to get some seat time on both and decide for yourself, all we're gonna do is confuse you more. Good luck and hope your happy with whatever you decide!!

Tom TRX250R
02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
There is no comparison between the two. If you are an experienced rider who likes to ride slower through the trails I would suggest the 300ex. I used to have one before owning several 250R's. They IMO are only good for real tight trail riding when reverse is handy. For the comments of a 250R not being great in the woods, you honestly cannot beat a 250R if you have it set up right for what application your riding. If you rode a 250R with a drag port etc. then of course it isn't going to have the powerband your looking for in the woods. If you set it up right with a low end port, with matching pipe/silencer, 35 or 36 mm carb, reeds, etc. Then you would be amazed how well the R performs in the woods. That is why the R has been such a legend for so long, it can excel at anything its thrown at. From the woods, dunes, or track.

bwamos
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
If you set it up right with a low end port, with matching pipe/silencer, 35 or 36 mm carb, reeds, etc. Then you would be amazed how well the R performs in the woods. That is why the R has been such a legend for so long, it can excel at anything its thrown at. From the woods, dunes, or track.

I agree 100%

If you have a high rev port, and a TT pipe it's not going to work well in the woods.. but if you port it and pipe it for the woods, you reall can't beat the old 250r. Especially vs. a 300ex (which I ride).

250r's do the hills much better too. The short stance of the 300ex makes it very nose light.

On the plus side for the 300ex it is damn near bullet proof, and will require only minimal maintenance (oil change, bearing relube, etc..). Wheras a 250r will need freshing up a little more often, but it's pretty easy and cheap to do.

Both machines are great, but I'd take a 250r any day of the week, in any situation over the 300ex.

Ripitupfilms
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
R's still race to this day

Ripitupfilms
02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
another

tar
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
i have hear that 2 strokes are a lot of work to keep up in running i dont no but my friend has a blaster and its always running like crap but i dont know about the 250r i would probably stay away from 2 strokes unless u really no what u r doin

8my_Cash
02-08-2006, 03:49 PM
if you gonna putt through trails...just get a 4 stroke...only because your not gonna use the poer a 2 stroke has if your crusin.

i have rode many 250rs threw the woods and i love it but when you putt around the trails that fowled plug likes to pop in every once in a while..

but in all seriousness 250rs are just as good as any other 4 stroke in the woods...it may not be setup for it stock but a little mods here and there make it one hell of a woods quad.

its mainly an opinion on what type of powerband you want to ride while in the woods