PDA

View Full Version : 440ex is blown up...HELP

bowlerzthree
02-03-2006, 09:43 AM
so i traded ym sled for this atv, it has the mods that are in my sig., it ran ok when i bought it but that was only for a mere 5 minutes...

next day it wont start i tried everything then i gave up and brought it to a honda dealer...

i get a call this morning and it has no compression, the oil is thin and i gues there is gas mixed in....supposively blown up...

they are trying to charge me 300 just for them to tear it down! if anyone is going to tear it down, it will be me.

what would i need to rebuild it? gaskets? pistons? im not sure, so if you could let me know so i can get a start on things, if i had the money to throw away i would have the dealr do it, but it seems liek a lost cause and a waste of money for something i could do on my own...

please help, its rediculous that i would have this problem without even riding the machine once.

Chino886
02-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I would say just tear it down an go from there, may be as simple as replacing rings.....$300 for a teardown is ridiculous.

Just get a manual and go from there....

stc416rider
02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
I would say just tear it down an go from there, may be as simple as replacing rings.....$300 for a teardown is ridiculous.

Just get a manual and go from there....

hes right i would not let a honda dealer touch my quad
i bet i kno more about a quad then some of them at my closest honda dealer

do u know 4 sure that its blown up

Chino886
02-03-2006, 10:16 AM
OR, what do you mean by "blown up"? That may help.....smoking....I know you said no compression, maybe a head gasket and HD studs will fix it.....440s are notorious for pulling head studs.....if that is it, it will be a simple fix.....

pit/wood
02-03-2006, 10:27 AM
I,ll go for a head gasket blown close to the left rear stud.if so,deck the head, clean it up.do the same to your cylinder.but make sure you have enough valve clearance and only run a lower comp piston(under 12:1).and the 12mm studs are great to keep her tight.

bowlerzthree
02-03-2006, 11:05 PM
if it were the head gasket would the oil and the gas be mixed together or would it just not have compression? i talked to someone and they said it could be bad O-Rings, or a cracked head...

i have someone lined up to do it, but i still dont really want to fork out money that is un needed...

i am a novice with engines, i know what everything in but i havent worked on one, do you think i could do it on my own? or would i run into problems and get confused?

i just want it done right and dont want to go back and do things...

thanks

prepracing
02-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by bowlerzthree
if it were the head gasket would the oil and the gas be mixed together or would it just not have compression? i talked to someone and they said it could be bad O-Rings, or a cracked head...

i have someone lined up to do it, but i still dont really want to fork out money that is un needed...

i am a novice with engines, i know what everything in but i havent worked on one, do you think i could do it on my own? or would i run into problems and get confused?

i just want it done right and dont want to go back and do things...

thanks

yes....gas in the oil could possibly be a cracked head ( although 400's are not known for that ). Or could be as simple as a broken rings or rings stuck letting the gas just go straight on past the piston into the oil ( thats a more common problem ). Good luck keep us posted

pit/wood
02-04-2006, 08:37 AM
raw fuel in the oil can be from a carb that is leaking down(needle and seat problems,float level set way to high)we have had problems with the plugs fouling after a trailer ride(best guess is that somehow the fuel is forced from the carb by either sloshing around or somehow the float bowl is getting pressurized)back to the basics,check your compression,verifiey that your float level is correct(when rejetting people have a tendency change the float level on accident,you can realy lose your perspective and start chasing rabbits when that happens)look between the head and the cyl,where they mate.do a good visual inspection.let us know.I agree with chino,if you get the factory manual it will walk you through it.you can do it yourself if you have any problems just post them.I am sure that someone in here can get you through it.then when someone says"nice ride"you can say "thanks,fixed it myself".besides the dealer just sells you the teardown knowing that if they teart it down chances are you will either have them fix it or by a new one from them.

m1ke
02-05-2006, 10:31 PM
You probably have broken rings, bad bore, shrunk or damaged piston, but i would do a leakdown test. this will tell you exactly what it is without even disassembling the engine. Prior to that, buy a compression tester, and test the compression (just to be certain). Dealer's are good liars.
Good luck.

And I'm sorry you got raped on your quad purchase.