PDA

View Full Version : set-up Custom Axis shocks

Snoopy450r
02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I was wondering if there is anybody out there that can teach me or at least tell me the right way to set up a set of custom axis LT fully ajustable shocks with Janssen +3 A-arms for general motocross on a 450R. From what ride hight I should need to the compression and re-bound with a 190LBS. rider.
Or if anybody knows where I can go to learn how to set them up properly, Thanks to all who give me some good info.

Oh yeah, dont just tell me to go out to the track and find something that I think works. Im intrested in accually learning how to properly set them up, thanks again.

fandl450r
02-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Well a good rule of thumb for MX is to first set up your ride height. I personally run 7" from bottom of frame below the foot peg to the ground, and 7 1/2" from the front of the nerf, from the bottomr of the frame to the floor. You can do this by adjusting the preload. On the rear shock its the lock nuts and on the front shocks its the lock ring that fits in the grooves found at the the top of the shock.

To increase ride height move the lock ring, and clip down the shock body, and to decrease do just the opposite. As far as compression goes, it all depends on track conditions. I run mine usually in the middle. So on compression adjust about 4-5 depending on the track. Hope this helps.

Justin

Snoopy450r
02-03-2006, 09:02 AM
yea I know how to ajust everything thats not hard at all, just turn a knob or raise and lower a clip. But I dont know where to turn the knobs or where to move the clip. Right now I just keep the compressing and rebound in the middle just for general use im guessing. But I want to learn how to fine tune them. For example how do I determine the ride hight for my quad and would it change depending on the track or the change in track conditions, from sandy to hard pack to mud. And what about the compression and rebound what do i need to know in order to ajust them to the right setting. For instance a hard packed track with a few doubles and a good sized table top but also has a lot of ruts and breaking bumps. Or a rutted up sand track. I want to learn how to work my shocks, not just set them at what someone tells me to. I want to know for myself.

fandl450r
02-03-2006, 09:19 AM
On regular, medium pack tracks you want to run about 7" rear and 7 1/2" front. For softer conditions rasing your ride height, about 1/4" will get you some more ground clearance for the deeper sections. For harder pack tracks you can lower your ride height 1/4" Yes ride height does change for track conditions but it all depends on what kind of conditions there are.

Well the clip is for raising/lowering ride height, on softer tracks you would want to move it down to further compress the spring and raise ride height, the harder packed track you go up, thus lowering your ride height. Rougher tracks = higher compression, less rough tracks = less compression.

A lot of this is rider prefernce, and more so just learning how your shocks act in different conditions, and adjusting them as needed.