PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? about corrosion/coolant

93MX6LSV6
02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
When checking for this when you take the covers off do you have to drain the coolant? I know this sounds stupid, this is my first 06 KFX, I want to check but not at the expense of having to change coolant with my money and then have to worry about them saying I opened her up and its not under warranty anymore.

Stephen

bradley300
02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
i wouldnt touch it. take it to a dealer and let them take it aopart. some dealers can be real azzez about you working on the quad. tell them the problem (they will probably say they havent heard of it, but i bet they have!) and ask them to check it

Flynbryan19
02-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Just take it to the dealer. I know the tech at my shop and he just swept it under the rug, but he said that his boss said that if I had opened it myself(which I did) it would void the warranty. It WILL be corroded. There is no question. Just take it in and have them check it out. If you can talk them into it have them get you Evans NPG+ or NPG-R coolant. There are other acceptable coolants, but you can get the evans and forget about it.

93MX6LSV6
02-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I will take it up there once my break-in period is over next week and go ahead and get them to do the valves while its there. Meanwhile I have to run up there today b/c I'm bringing them some business, my buddy is going to buy a Yamaha Kodaik.

Stephen

93MX6LSV6
02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I just got home from the dealership. My buddy ended up buying a Kawasaki Prarie 4x4. Anyways, to the point, they had 2 06 Z400's up there but no KFX's since I just bought one and another was sold. I looked on both Z400's and right below the water pump inlet there was a ridge on the case, both had a drop of antifreeze on them. Now I don't know how antifreeze would have gotten there unless the corrosion has already hit these two 06's. I showed the manager Ryan that I have been dealing with. He saw it and was amazed, he said that when I bring in my KFX for it's first service after break in period, they would tear it apart and see what mine looks like, and if it was corroded, they would take care of it and actually agreed to put Evan's in it. Does anyone have pictures of that area on the engine with everything in tact and then a picture with the cases/covers off so I can show them exactly what to do or take off to look for this corrosion? Thanks.

Stephen