PDA

View Full Version : set-up Custom Axis shocks

Snoopy450r
02-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I was wondering if there is anybody out there that can teach me or at least tell me the right way to set up a set of custom axis LT fully ajustable shocks with Janssen +3 A-arms for general motocross. From what ride hight I should need to the compression and re-bound with a 190LBS. rider.
Or if anybody knows where I can go to learn how to set them up properly, Thanks to all who give me some good info.

Oh yeah, dont just tell me to go out to the track and find something that I think works. Im intrested in accually learning how to properly set them up, thanks again.

ninis470
02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
i'm in the same boat. but i just need to know what each nob does???

400exMO
02-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Search that, it's been discussed daily. Or go to **** techs website, they have a pretty good description of it under they're tech tips.

Snoopy450r
02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
yea I know how to ajust everything thats not hard at all, just turn a knob or raise and lower a clip. But I dont know where to turn the knobs or where to move the clip. Right now I just keep the compressing and rebound in the middle just for general use im guessing. But I want to learn how to fine tune them. For example how do I determine the ride hight for my quad and would it change depending on the track or the change in track conditions, from sandy to hard pack to mud. And what about the compression and rebound what do i need to know in order to ajust them to the right setting. For instance a hard packed track with a few doubles and a good sized table top but also has a lot of ruts and breaking bumps. Or a rutted up sand track. I want to learn how to work my shocks, not just set them at what someone tells me to. I want to know for myself.

bradley300
02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
the custom axis website used to have an awesome write up on this exact subject. dont know if they stll do, but its worth checking

bradley300
02-03-2006, 09:31 AM
just found this, just skimmed thru it so i dont know if it answers your question. helpful anyway

2000_mx_banshee
02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
This will give you a beginning.

GO HERE (http://www.elkasuspension.com/Files/ATV-OwnersManual2005.pdf)

To be real honest this is hard to teach, or learn. And something to remember is that the very upper echelon of this knowledge is kept vey secretive. I'm not joking here. Go to any of the big time suspension tuners like Noleen for instance and try to find info. R&D do extensive testing for proper combinations and set ups, when you get something that you know works really well you don't just sit down and upload the info to the web for everyone to know, these are the people you are trying to beat.

That said, there is some knowledge out there to begin a solid foundation of information.
There is really a lot to be said here and your point is very well taken. A lot of people spend big time cash on supension products that tey have no idea how tune, or take full advantage of. I give you kudos for wanting to truly understand how to become good at tuning your suspension. I can tell ya stuff such as you want the softest setting possible for each particular track. An easy adjustment between a soft and a hard track is preload, or ride height, these two setting are one and the same. So lower your ride height for harder tracks (harder meaning the density of dirt, like sand vs. clay) I'm just skimming here and not really explaining the intricacies of ride hieght, I'm simply showing that you are right in saying that there are numerous settings and adjustments, like camber, castor, ride hight and preload, crossovers, balance, sag and free sag, and all these things effect things like preload on a face of a jump, body roll, packing etc..

Anyways... I can go on for a while with my limited knowledge (which I admit is limited) What I think I'm going to do is a write up on suspension tuning. There is soooo much to this, and like I said before, so little info. The Elka owners manual that I posted above is the best document that I have found. But it doesn't explain all things, like how to tell the difference between a ride that feels stiff because of to much compression dampening or to much rebound dampening. Both feel stiff, although one is caused because the shock is not using the full stroke and the other is because of packing. It also doesn't mention % of sag, some tuners will tell you 30% sag for rear and only 20% for front. Again this is just hear-say. What you have to do (as I did) is set it to the recommended settings then test, then adjust, then test again to see if it helped or made it worse (only making ONE change at a time). Again, a guy like Hinson or Noleen or even the riders like Natalie or Gust are not great suspension tuners because they read something in a book or on the net, they get their hands dirty and test, then test again, then test again. You dont think they sit around watching TV and reading forums between races do ya?

Hope this helps. Read the Elka owners manual, do some testing, and hang tight, I'll try (in my busy schedule) and post some info.