PDA

View Full Version : is the yfz harder to work on than 450R

Raptor430
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey, i was wondering if the yfz engine would be harder to work on than a 450R since its got two cams. Can't make my mind up between yfz or R so maybe this will help me.

MR.BIG
02-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Buy the honda you won't have to work on them unless you want to build it up. lol

JR3
02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
yfz is also electric start i have a 04 450r and i love the kickstart all electric start is is problems.

brink400
02-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I have owned both, and spent countless hours working on both, and can honestly tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the Honda is the easier bike to own. I just got done installing cams on my friends YFZ and wanted to kill myself now that im used to the Honda. YFZs are great bikes and are actually a little faster then hondas dollar for dollar, but I have not regretted selling my YFZ for a 450r even for 1 second. My 450r is even easier to jet then the YFZ. Im not brand loyal at all, and ive spent much more time wrenching on a YFZ then I have a 450r, so I know the bike pretty well. Either way you will be very happy with whatever brand you go with. I LOVE YFZs, they are so much fun to ride and have such a crazy powerband compared to the R, but I love my 450r at least twice as much as the Yamaha counterpart. Im sitting here trying to think of something I liked better about my YFZ, but i honestly cant. I spent close to 14,000 on my YFZ and I have about 10,000 into my Honda, and I still get a huge grin on my face every time I ride my R, it really is that good.

whoamack22
02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
i havent worked on one myself but ive owned a yfz and it has just bolt ons full exhaust and axlejust minor stuff and i just got an 04 r all stock and enjoy riding it more than the yfz modded, granted it doesnt have the snap and yank of the yfz but i havent got to ride a modded r, mine still has all the stuff on it from the dealership and i love it

m1ke
02-07-2006, 12:23 AM
lol@snap and yank

m1ke
02-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I doubt they vary much, they are both Otto Cycle Four Stroke engines, both liquid cooled, both single cylinder, however there may be slight differences. Fourstrokes can be a real slut to work on no matter who makes it.

aroracer72
02-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Ive also pout in tons of hours on each quad, and the yfz design and assembly precedures are jsut in my oppinnion....retarded. lol. Alright retarded is a harsh woird, but yamaha's dont seem to have that extra thought into final assembly that honda's do, soo there are numerous places were you jsut go....thats retarded.lol
But the thing better about yamaha's is that the valves dont need to be adjusted as often as the 450r's. But then again the 450's valves are simple and easy to get at, so it kinda levels off.
CHAD