PDA

View Full Version : GasGas 300/TRX250R ?????

Phil H
02-02-2006, 02:59 PM
I know that the 250R is a legend, but I just wondered if anyone has any opinions on how the GasGas 300 compares. I think that a Sevice Honda 250R is about the same money as the GasGas. I've got a 400ex, and I NEED a two-stroke, but not sure who gets my money!

XCredrider
02-02-2006, 03:55 PM
i wouldnt get the servise honda 250r. i rather have a real 250r than that and it is much cheaper. plus it would handle better too. the gas-gas are supposed to be really good though but parts would be the biggest problem because not many peole have them. Id get a 250r. I also have one for sale if you want one. let me know :D

elbine69
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
get a real 250r. youll be alot happier with it.

trxredrider
02-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Yes, listen to them... get the original 250r. You could buy a real nice one for $3500-4000, then use the money that you save to buy a lot of nice parts that you want to set it up for you.

...and the original 250r is much easier to get parts for from places like eBay, East Coast ATV, etc.

Eddiesanders250
02-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Do not buy the service honda. Buy the original R for close to half of that.

slamdak8782
02-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Overall price wise I say the 250r but the Gas Gas will push 53 HP with some mild work to it. Id say if your willing to fork out the cash go with a powervalve R that is already built and it will be cheaper. Overall they are both very nice Quads but price wise and proven longevity goes to the R. You will not find a better overall quad if you weigh the facts. You do need to make sure you buy a nicer R that has been rebuilt because the ATV is nearly 20 years old. Focus on The Rs between 5 and 7 grand. Try to find one with an aftermarket frame and all the goodies and you wont be disapointed.

bombsquad54
02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
i have a friend with 2 gasgas 300's, they both are ported and worked as good as possible, they put out good HP numbers but cant even run with a ported stock cylinder 250r, the 250r puts power down much better and out handles the gasgas. i love my R

Jay87
02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
That bull****, a PORTED GAS GAS not being able to touch a ported 250r, i dont what the hell ur smoking, i seen a stock one running in supermoto and it was killing piped banshees (on the straight sections) also in MX them things can go, stock for stock a 250r will not touch a gas gas 300, not a hope in hell , the 250r would have to be a 265PV or 275PV to be even with a ported 300 gas gas

TheFontMaster
02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
If you have the money I would go with a Gasgas. They put out good power, great for MX, and you just don't see alot of them.

MossboysRacing
02-03-2006, 05:40 PM
if i were you, i would by a nice original 250r, put the money you saved into a powervavled motor, some aftermarket handling parts and ride the crap out of it. oh yea one more reason for the R: Aftermarket, Aftermarket, Aftermarket!!

fast250r
02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Dirt wheels did a shoot out between the two. The 250r won. Not by much, but it still won the shoot out.

Tom TRX250R
02-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Honestly I have ridden a GAS GAS 300 and I liked it but it felt aqward compared to my R. The Gas 300 didn't handle near as well, felt like the chassis wasn't set up up right. The front end is so damn wide that it felt like was unresponsive in the front end for handling compared to my R's fast and responsive handling. The power was pretty good on the Gas Gas, I liked it, it came with some good mods like hydraulic clutch etc. Overall it is a pretty good quad. They need to modify somethings like the handling on the quad doesn't seem up to par compared to my R and I still drag raced and beat him by a quad length EVERY time!!! It is a great idea for Gas Gas and I give them props for building a 2 stroke quad but they need to modify it more before I consider it as a second quad.

I wouldn't even consider the Service Honda Cr250R/400ex combination (I am not even not gonna call it a 250R because it isn't) It is a ripoff and you still are getting 400ex handling. Your best bet would be to buy a nicely rebuilt original R that has been built up with nice suspension and motor mods. You would save money and would be much happier with your purchase, TRUST ME!

rebelbanshee
02-04-2006, 07:57 AM
The GasGas is a tank, its nearly 400lbs

slamdak8782
02-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Handling wise the gas gas is actually getting better than it was and they go with the 4 to 1 offset and 400ex like spindles. This combination yields a zero bump steer quad and that is a fact. If you dont beleive me talk to some suspension gurus on here or look and see what some people in the know use. The 400ex and the gas gas use a spindle with that perfect ratio for zero bump steer with 4-1 rims. Also that is why you see everyone going to 4-1 rims to try and get better handling. Power wise I think the gas gas should be a lot better than a stock or ported factory bore R. You have to take into consideration the gas gas has a powervalve which is a great selling point. Personally I would pick the R. If they were both new which is impossible I realize. If they were the same price. I would buy the gas gas but the thing is the R is old and there are lots of Rs under 5g that would kill gas gas 300 all day long. Where the gas gas cost over 10g. The R wins and is a lot better looking for 5g.