PDA

View Full Version : Whats your YFZ a-arm length for GNCC

jal232
02-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey i bought an 06 yammi....just wondering what length of a-arms everyone runs or reconmmends...also is long travel a good ivenstment of cany ou do without??....any helpful info please is appreciated...thanks Josh

woodside83
02-02-2006, 12:39 PM
in my opion the 06 shocks i have used for xc and i think they are great i had elka's on my old xc bike, as far as arms i would get some 1/2 longer you don,t need mutch or unless you want to spend a lot on it

Allen
02-02-2006, 01:44 PM
I used .5 inch and a 4-1 offset rim....this still keep you around 46.5 inches

jal232
02-02-2006, 03:18 PM
how does that keep you around 46.1 inches. the quad stock sits at almost 46.1....does the offset actually take way...or what...should i just keep stock arms if im puttin all this money into just .5 inches of width...well let me know...thanks
jsoh

jlhughes750
02-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by jal232
how does that keep you around 46.1 inches. the quad stock sits at almost 46.1....does the offset actually take way...or what...should i just keep stock arms if im puttin all this money into just .5 inches of width...well let me know...thanks
jsoh

don't look at it that way.........the +1 or .5 has nothing to do with making it wider.........the stock width is perfect for XC racing..............a +1 arm will widen it up...then the 4-1 off set wheel narrows it back up close to where it was...seems pointless?? its not..... that combo changes the geometry of the steering,handling, inclination everything..... imagine looking at the frt. of the bike and it was see through... one side is stock and the other is a +1 arm with 4-1 wheels.... draw an imaginary center line on both going up the tire folowing the caster....imagine comparing the 2....imagine all the negative leverage the stock setup has over the other....... all that probably did not come out that clear...hahaha
sorry

jlhughes750
02-03-2006, 09:17 AM
By the way.....I use the Gibson XC set up...

+1 arms with 4-1 wheels and axis 18 inch shocks

bradley300
02-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
don't look at it that way.........the +1 or .5 has nothing to do with making it wider.........the stock width is perfect for XC racing..............a +1 arm will widen it up...then the 4-1 off set wheel narrows it back up close to where it was...seems pointless?? its not..... that combo changes the geometry of the steering,handling, inclination everything..... imagine looking at the frt. of the bike and it was see through... one side is stock and the other is a +1 arm with 4-1 wheels.... draw an imaginary center line on both going up the tire folowing the caster....imagine comparing the 2....imagine all the negative leverage the stock setup has over the other....... all that probably did not come out that clear...hahaha
sorry

in other words, 4-1 wheels steer better and arent as twitchy as stock. they narow the quad up an inch per side, so you get plus 1 a-arms to get the inch per side back. stock width, with better steering

jal232
02-03-2006, 11:16 AM
oh ok ok..i got ya..the 4+1 wheels actually bring the quad back to stock width, i just get all the characteristics of haveing lenghtened arms,,,steering and such..okay...well tell me this..could i get +2 arms...4+1 offsset then i would just be 2 inches total abotu stock right?...or this is totally to wide..cause i have seeen popele ride +2 arms...so thats why i am wondering..thanks for the info guys..this site kicks ***
jsoh

Scro
02-03-2006, 12:05 PM
+2's are too wide for XC. You don't want to go over +1, and even that will be rough in the really tight sections.

Allen
02-03-2006, 01:12 PM

This is really good info....it's the best way to explain it through a keyboard....

harescrambles
02-03-2006, 05:58 PM
I have houser lt with .5 wider arms and i use 3+2 offset wheels, I'm right at 46 on top .

jlhughes750
02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
not sure exact width , i'll measure later tonight and post....

so are u guys measuring outside frt tire to outside frt. tire?? basically what would fit through something... i'll post later.

jbplayfz450
02-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by harescrambles
I have houser lt with .5 wider arms and i use 3+2 offset wheels, I'm right at 46 on top .

You would appreciate the 4+1 offset fronts! If you rode with them, you wouldn't go back.

I'm running LT Houser +1/2 with 4+1. I just wish I would have spent the money for it sooner!

One other thing the 4+1 wheels do is they dont grab trees and bend tierods as much as 3+2s do!

harescrambles
02-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by jbplayfz450
You would appreciate the 4+1 offset fronts! If you rode with them, you wouldn't go back.

I'm running LT Houser +1/2 with 4+1. I just wish I would have spent the money for it sooner!

One other thing the 4+1 wheels do is they dont grab trees and bend tierods as much as 3+2s do!

How wide is your front end with the 4+1 ? Where did you get them from?

jbplayfz450
02-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I've never measured it???? I'll try and remember to measure it in the morning.

I bought the whole setup used: houser arms, axis shocks, houser linkage, and batery box from Todd Senger.

jbplayfz450
02-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I measured it this morning, its 43inches sitting and 46inches when I compress the front. That's not all that exact, I measured it with one hand on the tape, and the other trying to press down on the bumper...:ermm:

jlhughes750
02-09-2006, 10:50 AM
thats about were mine is...maybe 46.5 when compressed just right.

jlhughes750
02-09-2006, 10:53 AM
!:)

jbplayfz450
02-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Where did you mount your shock rezzis so you could still have lights? I put mine on the angled frame rails, the ones that are closest to the bunper, and couldnt fit lights and rezzis both in there...:ermm:

jlhughes750
02-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jbplayfz450
Where did you mount your shock rezzis so you could still have lights? I put mine on the angled frame rails, the ones that are closest to the bunper, and couldnt fit lights and rezzis both in there...:ermm:

their on the ones behind that that run down...in frt. of the rad..... and the rear is on the same rail just turned in....it seemed to be the only way.. and I really wanted to leave the light on.. i think it looks better, fills in the frt. better and protects the wiring and keep the area clean...

later,J

might be able to see in this pic

harescrambles
02-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow,, i just checked mine, 48 1/4 when compressed . What wheels and offset would i need to get it to 46.5 like (jlhughes750)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Allen
02-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Wow,, i just checked mine, 48 1/4 when compressed . What wheels and offset would i need to get it to 46.5 like (jlhughes750)?

Offset would be 4-1 and Hipers make a good wheel ...but if you got a real tight budget, I went with Hiper rears and ITP Baja 4-1 fronts. The ITP's are about $95 a piece and the Hipers were around $175 a piece.

jteammotorsport
02-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Do you need a long travel front end for woods racing? I race A class local Harescrambles here and there mostly for training because I race A and pro-am TT. So I know how important suspension is but is it worth the money for the long travel?
thanks for any advice

J.T. #0

jbplayfz450
02-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by jteammotorsport
Do you need a long travel front end for woods racing? I race A class local Harescrambles here and there mostly for training because I race A and pro-am TT. So I know how important suspension is but is it worth the money for the long travel?
thanks for any advice

J.T. #0

You dont HAVE to have LT to race any class! LT is just SUCH a plusher ride than ST is!

If you have a chance to ride someones quad with an LT setup, you will see the difference!

Fred55
02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
But if your running TT then I wouldnt go with LT unless you switch front suspenion for xc and tt.

jlhughes750
02-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by jteammotorsport
thanks for any

It all depends on how serious u take it??? I only race the locals Pa State and D6 Harescrambles... I ran the GNCC's years ago... I would answer that question yes!! Why not have every advantage possible!! But, if my main focus was bikes or MX on quads or TT like you, then I would be OK with runnin std. cause its just a practice race......then again if u got the extra $ laying around, and can have an XC/Harescramble bike sittin around....why not!!!..... Do u need it to race D6 harescrambles ?.........No... I do. I need every bit of help I can get!!!!

harescrambles
02-14-2006, 06:13 PM
I know its kind of a personal preference, but does anybody have suggestions on what the camber should be for XC racing?

jteammotorsport
02-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your advice. I have 2 bikes one for TT and one for practice. The TT bike is too race specific to do anything else with. I just didn't know if it was worth the cash being involed in tt i never bothered with LT suspension at all.