PDA

View Full Version : oils

dustin_j
02-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I got my 05 450r used and it didnt come with a manual. I'm aware that there are separate engine, clutch, and tranny oils, correct? I am curious what are good oils to use for each of these, and where is a good place to get them cheap and somewhat in bulk. I'm also curious what are the capacities of each and how often each should be changed. THe dealership said change oil every 20 hours, is that all the oils or just engine oil? THanks for the help.
dustin

2MuchChi450R
02-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I know this has been brought up before, but I'll help you a little.

As far as Engine oil, everyone will have a different opinion on what is best. You can use Honda HP4 w/ Moly or other synthetic in the crankcase.
As for the clutch, use a non-synthetic, non-additive oil like Honda's HP Trans 85/90w (red bottle).

My personal prefference is Amsoil 20/50 full syn, and HP trans in the the clutch. I also personally run oil no longer than 10 hours old.

It's about 3/4 to 7/8 of a quart in the engine, the clutch takes around 650cc of oil. Both sides have a way to check the level, sight glass on the engine side and a level check plug on the clutch side (10mm bolt with a phillips head cut-out).

Hope this helps.