PDA

View Full Version : hot cams 2 wtf

Hummer
02-02-2006, 09:59 AM
i just got a hot cam stage 2 installed on my 450 and i think it is slower then the stock cam i have a hmf sport series full pipe sparks jet kit 190 main sparks needle third clip and 2 1/2 turns on air/fuel screw and stock pilot and i did the cheap hrc kit, cut airbox lid and intake snorkel and drilled out the breather the reason why i think it is slower is because my buddy who has an 05 450 has the hrc kit and has his pipe gutted and with stock cam i could keep up with him now he blows my doors off from start to finish my 450 is also an 05 it still feels like it runs strong but in a race it is a lot slower a had a shop install the cam and thought it might be a tooth off on the cam sprocket so i'm going to tear it apart tomorrow and double check the timing i was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem i thought i was going to smoke him and so did he but it was the oppisite any help would be helpful

R3Concepts
02-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Check timing and valve lash.

JIMTED79
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I put the curtis sparks cam in my bike and rode it and got spanked at olds in glamis. Road the bike all weekend and like you, it felt stong until I raced. Got the bike home opened it up and found that the timing was retarded 2 teeth, so your problem sounds just like mine.:eek2:

Hummer
02-02-2006, 04:45 PM
my buddy just tore it apart and the timing is right on and lash is ok so i wonder if its the pipe and cam on my friends 450 with the hrc kit he said it felt like he lost power when he put the hmf pipe on his but i thought it was a good combination i don't know i guess i will have to wait for another nice day to ride and see if i can find out why it is slow

CHEVYZ
02-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Something is wrong with your bike dude. I don't know if it was break-in or what... but I have almost the same set-up... HMF pipe, K&N airfilter, no airbox lid, Hotcam St. 2, and a rev box... but mine runs! I smoked all other 450s out there last time I raced including another modded 450r and YFZ. I don't understand.:confused:

brink400
02-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Did you rejet after you put the cam in? I may sound like a stupid question but I have a HC 2 and I had to rejet after I put mine in. I have a crf conversion, rossier pipe, and HC and my motor runs like a champ.

XCRACER26
02-02-2006, 05:40 PM
it could be your riding style doesnt fit the stage two. because the stage two would ride more like a two stroke, power band wise. you could have the fastest 250r in the world and drag a stock 450 , but if the rider doesnt know how two ride the power band its pointless.

tractorpacker
02-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I suggest pulling out that 190 main and try a 180 or 182. To much fuel can cause them to bog a little.

Hummer
02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
my friend checked the plug and it looked great besides that it could be me not being used to the power curve but i really didn't have much time to ride about 45 min or so and it was freakin cold and it isn't like i haven't ever rode a quad it just seem to be slow it's raining now and cold so i'll have to wait for a clear day to put some time on it

400exBro
02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
You made sure that the cam was properly timed to what the crankshaft was to right. You didn't just time the camsaft (the gear at the top).
both the crankshaft and camshaft have to be at the same position (TDC)
And you reshimed to your valves to ensure properly valve clearance.

If you already did this please ignore my post, just wanted to make sure.
I just recently purchased a HC Stage 2 with a 13.1 piston. and i am hoping it rides like a rocket now.

Punk'd
02-02-2006, 08:13 PM
To me it sounds like timeing is off.. Open her up and make sure its lined up right.