PDA

View Full Version : 250r not firing

sk8ter0712
02-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Ok guys I have a 250r and its not firing I change the wiring bc thats what I thought it was and its still not firing what could it be

wilkin250r
02-02-2006, 09:47 AM
In the repair manual there is a complete electrical diagnostics procedure. NOT to be confused with the owners manual, the owners manual only tells you how to turn the gas on and start it.

The ignition system only has a few components, it's relatively simple. There is the stator (which has exciter coils and a pulse coil), the CDI, the ignition coil, the spark plug wire, and all the wiring to tie it together. You've already checked the wiring.

So get yourself a decent multi-meter and a repair manual (also called a service manual), and start checking. Come back here if you need any help with that.

matt250r21
02-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Another thing you can do is find a running R and start swaping out one ignition part at a time. Put your parts on the running R till it wont spark. I would start with the spark plug coil, then the CDI box. then the wire harness because they are the easiest. Another thing to check is the on/off switch or aftermarket kill switch, unplug those completly and see if ithe plug sparks. Also make sure your harness has a good ground to the frame and make sure the motor is grounded to the frame. New powdercoat on motor mounts can keep the motor from being grounded.

sk8ter0712
02-02-2006, 11:45 AM
thanks guys Ill try thoughs and if its not that Ill let you guys know

tazman7
02-22-2006, 05:59 PM
start with the spark plug- we just had the same problem with no spark- got a new coil, blackbox, stator coil, ignition switch and it never started. put in a new spark plug, fired up first kick. tore it apart and put all of the old stuff back on it when i was bored and it fired right up again. Now I have extras! Stupid me....

87250rxrider
02-22-2006, 06:58 PM
also, make sure that your spark plug is gapped correctly. most new spark plugs are not gapped correctly, and if you have a spark that is weak, gap the plug smaller and it will strengthen the spark, just don't go too small on the gap. i had the same problem, and i shortened the gap and it fired right up first kick.

321racer
03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
check your flywheel and stator
thats is wat was rong with mine

the wire had rotted out