PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating

hontrx265r
02-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Pappy, how well do your powdercoat jobs hold up? And what do you charge for a frame and subframe (sub removable). I had wrinkle black done on some stuff awhile ago. Not from you of course and I think it should have held up very well. My boots wore through it in two days max.
Thanks
Mike

Chino886
02-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Hey Hontrx265R

Check out Pappy's February Special......

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=204018

or, you can check out his price thread

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=183254

Hope that helps.....Pappy can be a little busy at times....but his work is awesome!

Chino886

Pappy
02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
with regards to boots rubbing thru any coating on a frame....

Ive seen work from all over the country, and it all looks about teh same in the uptube area. Depending on the powder, its application, pretreatment etc. It should hold up somewhat but honestly, none of it will last in that area. Some riders naturally do not hug the frame while others do, so my answer will have to be it depends:p

The issue with this is the mere fact that you are rubbing the area. Combine that with mud and dirt and you are just essentially removing the coating. The amount of time it takes for this depends on the factors ive stated above. I use my son as an example of alot of my work, but on his frame his boots hardly ever come in contact with the frame. They do contact the footpeg and other "contact" areas and I have been happy with the wear Ihave seen.

YFZ,Z400/KFX400, 400EX owners all have the ability to install frame gaurds, the 450R doesnt that im aware of. Usually I recommend using clear number plate vynil cut into a strip to aid protection, and its easily replaced when needed.

Pappy
02-02-2006, 10:32 AM
While I havent had any problems with regular riders, some of the Pro and Pro AM & A Class riders we help, thier frame and a-arms get tore up. Some of the frames come in here from the manufacture already coated, and it is where we are seeing the damage. It in no way means thier coating is junk, but it shows that there are limits as to what powdercoating can withstand. When you have roost taking chunks out of chromoly, there can be no reasonable thought process that would assume powdercoating would take the punishment. As one rider stated, Pro Roost hurts! Add in some of the fancy colors and I can garuntee it will not prevent damage, infact it shows the smallest amount of damage where a more basic color would hide it.

cb450r
02-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Good points Pappy, with regards to frame rub. I am thinking about using either some clear skate board grip tape or an automotive headlight protecter called X-Pel this is a clear adheasive film that protects damage in the form of rock chips and other road hazards and it is applied to your headlights or paint. With either product you would obviously have to cut and fit it to your application. It will be a trial and error thing to see what will work best. i will give updates when i find a solution.

Here is a link to the X-Pel web site.. some pretty good info here, it also looks like they offer "custom fitting" so maybe we can get someone to make a template and submit it to them?

http://www.xpel.com/

Pappy
02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
ill check out that link...

and as long as they keep the current frame structure, all newer quads will have this problem. if you look at a rider sitting on any newer quad, you will see that his leg and ankle follow the frame almost perfectly. on the 250r and a few others, the frame runs just enough behind the riders boot to miss most of the damage caused by boots scuffing the frame.

i think the biggest problems i have faced is a arms. they take the brunt of abuse but for the most part everything seems to be holding up extremely well. with that said, murphys law will kick in and i will have a problem:p i have to redo a set of heel gaurds that failed miserably but i think i have that narrowed down to the way i prepped them.

i used to be be overly concerned about my work, and i still worry, but i have come to realize that no matter what you do things can and will happen and you deal with them as they arise.

hontrx265r
02-02-2006, 02:51 PM
I guess the reason why I asked is that my factory powder, always held up great.(by factory I guess I meant the stuff that was read on the laeger frame , but then I hear thats industrial? is that the case? Also I had some stuff done by eastcoast and it last forever!l My arms from houser the lowers are silvervein I've been riding on them for about a year and a half the bottoms don't even show any bare metal. I've of course heard that candy colors wear the fastest but they look the best! Is this stuff ever double or tipple coated then cleared? How is your process done? Hope I'm not asking too many questions I'm just curious. Thanks

Pappy
02-02-2006, 04:28 PM
there are a few different powders that are most widely used, with a few of them being "stronger" then others. the trans colors are IMO the weakest of the bunch, with silvervein and hammertones being at the top of the heap. and when clear is used over those colors they are really tuff.

as far as aftermarket frames, ive seen some that held up great, while others have failed before they ever came out of the box they were shipped in.

hontrx265r
02-02-2006, 05:06 PM
well thanks for all the help, i do think I'll be sending my frame soon! are they supposed to be stripped when you get them, Is it cheaper if they are?

Pappy
02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
i can work out better pricing if they are sent stripped. Ive only recieved 1 frame in 4 years that was ready for me to final prep, and I got that tuesday:p but yes, having them stripped saves me alot of work and therefore would save a customer money.

hontrx265r
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
well I bought that yzf lonestar frame that was forsale, I know you replied to it saying someone would get a good deal... well it was me and its completely stripped right now. What do you think it would run frame and sub? I like that granny green there is another green thats close to it I'll look up the name might actually be the same thing.

hontrx265r
02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
someone has it listed as dormant green? is it the same?

Pappy
02-02-2006, 06:58 PM
yes its the same thing.

that color on a stripped frame and sub, $125 plus shipping of $60 if its aftermarket(they tend to run heavier then stock)

the powder will run $50 because I dont keep it here in any quanity..its expensive:( so basically im running it thru final prep, shooting it, and packaging it for $75)

all teh questions about durabilty above, and then you pick a color like that:D tommys frame has held up fine, but i havent shot alot of it to say wether it will hold up to an agressive rider or not.

hontrx265r
02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I was asking about durabiltiy because I wondered if maybe there was something different that would make your candy colors hold up better then the local guy, but I don't think he can get that color anyway or at least he won't!
Thanks though you'll probably see it with in the next few weeks.
Mike

Pappy
02-02-2006, 07:27 PM
i really cant say about what others do or how durable it is compared to mine. i reckon its like anything, there is good and bad in it all.