PDA

View Full Version : JE or WISECO???

JIMTED79
02-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Building a 480R and want to know what piston to go with JE or WISECO, as far as I know both are good but who's better and why?

MAD450r
02-02-2006, 05:22 AM
But my true preference would be ROSS if they make a piston for the R.

jwick07
02-02-2006, 06:24 AM
I run a JE and at the shop I worked at every time sombody wanted a new piston the head mechanic would always tell them to go with a JE over any others. He built my motor and it hauls the mail.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-02-2006, 09:53 AM
If JE makes a piston application I always try to use it but they don't make pistons for every atv so I am forced to use wiseco. I guess what I am saying is that I perfer the JE or Ross but Ross doesn't have an application for the 450r

JIMTED79
02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
If JE makes a piston application I always try to use it but they don't make pistons for every atv so I am forced to use wiseco. I guess what I am saying is that I perfer the JE or Ross but Ross doesn't have an application for the 450r

what make you lean towards the JE over WISECO?

desratt
02-02-2006, 05:53 PM
JE is the only one I will use

wanna_be_ridn
02-02-2006, 07:34 PM
well i run my stocker, its the best ever trust me stick with stock. lol jp JE all the way.

02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
JE is what i prefer

JIMTED79
02-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Whats up with all the WISWCO haters, who runs WISECO and why?

ThumPIN_450R
02-03-2006, 07:54 AM
I use a wiseco because I have seen numerous JE break on the bottom where the pin goes through and the one that I saw do that in person left a big enough hole in a YFZ's cylinder that I could wiggle the piston out of the hole.

duke416ex
02-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe JE pistons are made by Wiseco, or atleast I remember reading that in another post.

fasssst400ex
02-03-2006, 05:23 PM
wiseco is cheaper but if u arnt concerned about $$$$ i would use JE

450Racer
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
I may be wrong, but I believe JE pistons are made by Wiseco, or atleast I remember reading that in another post.

i think it's funny watching people say JE or Wiseco is junk. Wiseco makes JE. Wiseco won't put it's name on the higher compression pistons (over 13:1) because of reliablity issues. and i'd like to bet the JE pistons that break are 13:1 compression or higher and they were put under a ton of stress. nothing is unbreakable.

ThumPIN_450R
02-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 450Racer
i think it's funny watching people say JE or Wiseco is junk. Wiseco makes JE. Wiseco won't put it's name on the higher compression pistons (over 13:1) because of reliablity issues. and i'd like to bet the JE pistons that break are 13:1 compression or higher and they were put under a ton of stress. nothing is unbreakable.

the one on the YFZ that put the hole in the cylinder was what ever compression the Yamaha GYTR piston is. I am fully aware that wiseco is the mother company of JE but they do manufacture there pistons independently from each other. Wiseco owns JE they do not make JE's pistons for them.

hawk-trx
02-04-2006, 12:21 AM
both sell a 13-1 piston but neither sell anything higher. the only way you will get a higher comp piston is to get a custom piston. like sparks 13.5-1 JE or baldwin 14-1 wiseco.

i think its funny how 9 out of 10 will pick JE (including me) but no one has a reason. i personaly cant remember hearing of any wiseco pistons failing in a four stroke. i do remember alot of JEs breaking in raptos, alot of CPs blowing in yfzs, but no wisecos.

if your looking into a 480 check out the ESR kit

prepracing
02-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by hawk-trx
both sell a 13-1 piston but neither sell anything higher. the only way you will get a higher comp piston is to get a custom piston. like sparks 13.5-1 JE or baldwin 14-1 wiseco.

i think its funny how 9 out of 10 will pick JE (including me) but no one has a reason. i personaly cant remember hearing of any wiseco pistons failing in a four stroke. i do remember alot of JEs breaking in raptos, alot of CPs blowing in yfzs, but no wisecos.

if your looking into a 480 check out the ESR kit

You sure about that :confused:

witech
02-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
I use a wiseco because I have seen numerous JE break on the bottom where the pin goes through and the one that I saw do that in person left a big enough hole in a YFZ's cylinder that I could wiggle the piston out of the hole.
Interesting. We had custom JE's 450 made for our Cannondales last year and thier tolerances were so close that when the pistons heated up they were seizing in the bores and eventually tore the bottoms out of the pistons. Never had this problem with the wisecos because they were always to sloppy in the bore and had to short a skirt on them. That just made them wear rings out faster but the wisecos always made more power than the 450 JE's on the dyno. In fact we havent seen a JE make 50horse yet. Whereas a stock 432 cc ASSO cast piston or 432 cc wiseco could break 50 easily with a stroker crank. The JE's were found to have way to many gas ports in them to.

So our experience with the the 2 pistons in question have not been favorable. Im sticking with the stock pistons for now or going to try the new CE piston that are just coming on line . They will be made with all the best features and none of the bad from both JE and wiseco.
Thats just our experience but Ive heard the same with other brand engine builders who build Yamahas and Hondas.

hawk-trx
02-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
You sure about that :confused:
sure about what?? i think i made reference to 7 things

duke416ex
02-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Well I thought they were together. Me personally I like Wiseco, although I do see what someone said about going through rings fairly fast. Also as far as them being part of the same company, but making their pistons different, it only makes since to me that if they have right to the same manufacturing process and one is better than the other that moth of them would be making their pistons the same way.

kdeal
02-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 450Racer

This is not correct. They are indeed two seperate companies that make their own products. They are BOTH owned by a company called Dover. Dover is famous for making elevators..... (don't ask). It's all part of a big portfolio of companies that they own. Wiseco & JE were two independent companies and were bought up by Dover. I prefer the Wiseco pistons over JE pistons for the applications that I run. I've noticed in a head to head the Wiseco puts out more hp on the dyno but does not last as long as the JE.

kdeal
02-06-2006, 10:24 AM
The reason JE is more popular with smaller performance shops is the fact that JE only has a minimum order of 4 pistons for custom orders. Wiseco's minimum is like 24 pistons. Either one will make what ever you want in a custom piston. As so much as stock pistons, both companies take it upon themselves (like any good business) to make replacement products for anything popular that they can market.

370kingR
02-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by kdeal
This is not correct. They are indeed two seperate companies that make their own products. They are BOTH owned by a company called Dover. Dover is famous for making elevators..... (don't ask). It's all part of a big portfolio of companies that they own. Wiseco & JE were two independent companies and were bought up by Dover. I prefer the Wiseco pistons over JE pistons for the applications that I run. I've noticed in a head to head the Wiseco puts out more hp on the dyno but does not last as long as the JE.

And thats the real deal! Take this info to the bank cause its right.

Two companies owned by the same company but operate completly seperatly.

Ive run CP, JE, and Wiseco in the 4 strokes and all have not failed me......yet...currently knocking on my wooden desk :chinese: